Irish Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    wouldn't 'Irish Defence Forces' be more appropriate?

or would bearing the initials 'IDF' be be sailing a little close to the wind?

Shouldnt it be the offical name of the forces "Oglaigh Na hEireann" ??

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
      Expect anything less Apod?
      Sadly.No.People in glass towers,tinkering around with what were sound designs for some items,f***ing them up when they could have been left alone or improved.
      Penny pinching the rest of the time.The most expensive item of "furniture" on any garment is a zip.We cant have "pit zips" on our waterproof jackets like their were supposed to be,but we CAN have four uneccessary pocket zips on the smock?waste of money.Heres this for an idea.How about putting USEFULL features on,like velcro patches so we can remove the oversize tricolour when on tactical exercises or when we are laundering our kit.If all our field uniforms had velcro for patches/flashes then you would cut down on every jacket etc having to be supplied with one.Thus SAVING money.
      Or how about a hood retaining loop on the smock so it can be tied down out of the way when not needed?

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      I don't see the point myself, its obviously a military uniform and it has an Irish flag (that says Ireland on it), IMHO it is a waste of money!
      Agreed.More keeping up with the Yanks bollocks.Whoever is putting out these specs must have a hardon for the buggers cos all they are doing is copying their ways.where are the helmet rank markings??Still dont have any in stores.Nearly three years after the new lids came on stream.So why bother?
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
        wouldn't 'Irish Defence Forces' be more appropriate?

or would bearing the initials 'IDF' be be sailing a little close to the wind?
        They want to make look like were not an aggressive force hence "Defence Forces" followed by "Ireland" which says where were from, Its that easyyyyy...............
        Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• Correct me if im wrong here but... does the Irish army REALLY need new camoflage equipment for desert?
          Dont the Irish army only go on peacekeeping missions where their presence needs to be shown so standing out would be better?
          And I cant really see Ireland needing to invade a desert country anytime soon. So would the money be better spent on other things?

I might well be wrong but thats just how I see it.

Comment

• If desert DPM's can possibly safe the life of a single soldier then they are worth it.
            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
              If desert DPM's can possibly safe the life of a single soldier then they are worth it.
              Maybe, but as someone pointed out they will probably be wearing blue helmets wherever they go in general, which negates the camoflague entirely.

Comment

• Have many Irish soldiers been killed overseas?
                (maybe going off topic a bit sorry)

Comment

• Originally posted by .net View Post
                  Have many Irish soldiers been killed overseas?
                  (maybe going off topic a bit sorry)
                  For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.
                  Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                    Maybe, but as someone pointed out they will probably be wearing blue helmets wherever they go in general, which negates the camoflague entirely.
                    If you use that logic then the dark rifle they're holding, Mowag/Helo/Nissan they just stepped out of, Battle vest/Daysack/Body armour they're wearing will negate the camouflage entirely.

If the DF is buying X no lighter weight uniforms for service in warmer climes they might as well buy Y of them in a desert pattern as they'd come in useful. It wouldn't cost much in the great scheme of things.
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                      They don't wear them in Kosovo, Bosnia, they didn't on the EU Chad mission

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                      If the DF is buying X no lighter weight uniforms for service in warmer climes they might as well buy Y of them in a desert pattern as they'd come in useful. It wouldn't cost much in the great scheme of things.
                      I'd also imagine that a light coloured uniform will be cooler to wear in hot climates that the standard one.

Comment

• Correct me if im wrong here but... does the Irish army REALLY need new camoflage equipment for desert?
                        The DF obviously thinks so

Dont the Irish army only go on peacekeeping missions where their presence needs to be shown so standing out would be better?
                        No all the time, there are often times they don't want to be seen

And I cant really see Ireland needing to invade a desert country anytime soon. So would the money be better spent on other things?
                        That argument could be used to get rid of the DF all together!

Comment

• It seems only neccessary to purchase specifically made clothing items, armour covers etc, surely whichever company makes the tac vests and associated equipment either has a coyote/sand version for sale already or could make it, failing that there's a load of companies that already make the ideal stuff, does it matter if the temperate and desert tac gear is the same?

Comment

• Ok my mistake there is alot more killed in service then i thought.

And the argument couldn't be used to get rid of the DF all together. Every country needs a defence.
                            I just saw buying desert equipment not to useful as i thought not many soldiers were killed and it would only really be needed if the army was to attack someone which i really couldnt see happening.

My apologies

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              They don't wear them in Kosovo, Bosnia, they didn't on the EU Chad mission
                              I'm well aware they don't wear them in Chad - they also wear GREEN DPM there. Clearly that has the same idea behind it, as in it identifies them and distinguishes who they are, being camoflagued isn't a priority. There aren't many deserts in Eastern Europe anyway, so whatever about going there, if there is another mission in Africa/Middle East it will as we all know more than likely be a U.N. mission as usual, hence Blue Helmets.

Comment

• Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                                It seems only neccessary to purchase specifically made clothing items, armour covers etc, surely whichever company makes the tac vests and associated equipment either has a coyote/sand version for sale already or could make it, failing that there's a load of companies that already make the ideal stuff, does it matter if the temperate and desert tac gear is the same?
                                Only if it was asked for in the tender, if not it would have to go to tender again and we could end up with another supplier

Comment

Working...
                                X