Centralised Recruit Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
    Why PDF Recruits? We do our fitness tests and interview, then go on to do far worse than what's in that article for between 6-7 months before being told if we've been finally approved (assuming we're approved as Recruits to become 2 Stars) and then we move onto our Units.
    Its a screening measure to let people get a taste for what they are getting into before they commit to 28 weeks. They are not yet on the books of the DF, there is no wasted effort in assigning army numbers or full issue of kit etc.

The application process at the moment is an individual effort with no insight in how an applicant works as a team under pressure. A weekend selection like this coupled with personal interview would bring an altogether higher standard of potential recruit through to full time basic training.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      its an economy of scale issue- I do beleive however that if 2 Bn have a Pl in training and likewise 5 Bn
      etc- then if they are being trainined centrally the 2 Bn lads should be trained lock stock and barrel by 2 Bn NCO's and Officers as 2 Bn- likewise 5 Bn and the 27 Bn tribe-
      that in itself would aid and build unit loyalty and esprit de corps-
      Why not just keep training them In the Brugha?

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
        They would have to be accommodated on site for the duration of the training.

Centralising recruit training would also free up NCOs and Officer for the Battalion to use seeing as there would be no recruit training going on in Barracks. Recruits would have the best of facilities in the Curragh with the gym, pool, and new obstacle course.

I think it is a good idea.
        Would you volunteer to go to the Curragh for 7 months with no allowance for it or leave at the end to train Recruits?

Comment

• Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
          Would you volunteer to go to the Curragh for 7 months with no allowance for it or leave at the end to train Recruits?
          If I was in charge of it, I would not be asking for volunteers, but I would be detailing people like those fresh off YOs courses, Std NCO courses, and PNCO Courses as instructors.
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Its called Army life. The DF needs come above your own. It goes for being detailed too.

Saying that, some people would consider it an advancement in their careers.

And how do you know there isn't an allowance or leave? You get a period of leave every year. Are you really saying that after each and every job, you should get rewarded with leave or an allowance?

You might want to wake up to the real world we live in!
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

If I was in charge of it, I would not be asking for volunteers, but I would be detailing people like those fresh off YOs courses, Std NCO courses, and PNCO Courses as instructors.
              Why?

They haven't spent anytime in their Unit or Overseas in their relevant rank.

It'd make much more sense to use experienced NCO's and Officers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                Why?

They haven't spent anytime in their Unit or Overseas in their relevant rank.

It'd make much more sense to use experienced NCO's and Officers.
                I'd agree with you on this one HA. Recruit instructors should be the very best of the bunch with both overseas and unit experience before being let into a teaching environment. There is a hell of a lot more to teaching best practises than meets the eye. In other armed forces there are whole schools to turn experienced NCO's into recruit instructors specifically.

Comment

• I retract my statement...
                  What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

You want NCOs with no experience in their rank and young LTs to train new Recruits?

Comment

You want NCOs with no experience in their rank and young LTs to train new Recruits?

see here
                      But there's no danger
                      It's a professional career
                      Though it could be arranged
                      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                      If you're out of luck you're out of work
                      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• [QUOTE=ZULU;274046]

Are you really saying that after each and every job, you should get rewarded with leave or an allowance?

/[QUOTE]

You obviously haven't spend a significant period of time in the curragh. Not a nice place to be stuck at night during the winter while on detachment from the south. Especially when caught for a weekend duty in the magazine as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                          Are you really saying that after each and every job, you should get rewarded with leave or an allowance?
                          Thats how the Army works.
                          When away from your unit like overseas or in Portlaoise their is an allowance for it and leave at the end.
                          Last edited by Border Bunny; 17 October 2009, 10:58.

Comment

• That's a very short sighted perspective and a real problem in the DF. It's the real 'supermodel syndrome' that has crept in over the years. "I'm not even getting out of bed unless I'm on an allowance"

Let's say you're a Cpl in Galway and want to make Sgt. You get up off your hole and do a stint as an instructor on a course in the BTC or DFTC.

The other Cpls won't go because there's no allowance (or the allowance is very small) and there's no extra leave. Guess who is going to get the extra marks at interview. Will it be the guy who was proactive and got up off his arse or the negative nelly who preferred to whinge and stay at home?

Comment

• Zulu
                              Just going back to your post about T A selection, the initial weekend is called a " look at life " - great way to sort out potential recruits over 2 days. The regular potential recruits go to regular army selection centres and do pretty much the same - ie fitness, intelligence and an ability to work as part of a team. Its another example of how centralised training works. As for training facilities in each battallion, they could remain and take on the role of a training wing ie have a dedicated staff to train the unit in all their annual tests, any continuation training and in house training prior to the pre deployment packages ?
                              Last edited by knocker; 17 October 2009, 17:07.
                              Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

• That's a very short sighted perspective and a real problem in the DF. It's the real 'supermodel syndrome' that has crept in over the years. "I'm not even getting out of bed unless I'm on an allowance"
                                Won't be a problem in the near future with the removal of allowances...just get on and do the job as paid for without an allowance
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X