No announcement yet.

Centralised Recruit Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there's one FCA Inf unit that's famous for this - and lo and behold it has a Meath catchment area...
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

They obviously don't have FD manuals in Meath

Comment

I have no idea. I was in two units, both in Dublin.
        Take these men and women for your example.
        Like them, remember that posterity can only
        be for the free; that freedom is the sure
        possession of those who have the
        courage to defend it.
        Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
        If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

RDF Training

[MOD: Thread Merge]

I was just thinking that the rdf training for recruits, seem a bit haphazard at best, due to some recruits not being able to attend all training nights, This leads to constant repetition of lessons and no forward motion in the training.

I was wondering does anybody else think that we should run a recruitment drive before the annual camp each year, and have all the recruits attend this as their recruit training?

Or would it be better if recruits do pretty much the same basic as the PDF recruits, and then attend training nights.

Or would it be possible to hold a unit level recruit training camp in august just before we come back together after the summer break?

Just a few idea's,

What do people think?
          Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

RDF training similar to the PDF recruit training would be ideal, but again

Joe Bloggs goes to his boss and says

"Sir I need some time off, I'm joining the reserve"

-RESPONSE-

"About 16 weeks"

-RESPONSE-

Joe Bloggs clears his desk.
            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Agree with you fully AckAck,

Training has to take account of the fact that things happen outside the RDF. Importantly most RDF recruits join around 17/18 years of age at a time when many of them are entering the most stressful time of their lives so far, the Leaving Certificate. Not just the exams and mocks themselves, but also all the study. I remember the weekend before my mocks started I was in a wood near Kilbride making sure no one stole a tent!

It is my firm belief that recruit training must be held at Battalion, if not Brigade, level in order to standardise training. Also that there should be a maximum of 2 intakes annually, in order to maximise use of resources.

There is a new recruit syllabus. I can't go into detail here but it consists of 2 modules. Module one is to be done on training nights, field days and weekends. Module one can be done over an intensive 2 month period (including 2/3 field days) having taken into account that many unit don't have immediate access to their weapons. Module two consists of a 2 week camp.

If you can tell the new recruit, well in advance, these are the dates & times come here then, chances are they can arrange work/study around it.

The major problem is the enlistment process:
              Get all the paperwork filled out (including PPSN, birth certificate, references), audiogram (along eyesight, height, lung capacity tests), medical, security clearance, then getting an army number and finally a uniform. These things take time to organise and only limited places are allocated to each unit each month.

The process could run better if units did a couple simple things, including:
              * measuring each potential recruit before they organise the formal test
              * ensure that each potential recruit know not to listen to loud music etc in the 48 hours before the audiogram

I don't think doing the same recruit training as the PDF would work, yes it would be great to have the training behind you but honestly how many people would turn up on Tuesday night or whatever after that.

Personally I would see:
              January - March: the enlistment process (it could begin earlier if required)
              March/April - May: module 1
              June: no training (exams & holidays)
              July: module 2 & courses/duties
              August: no training (holidays) & courses/duties
              September: passing out & start of 3 star training
              Last edited by DeV; 26 September 2005, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by ackack
                I was just thinking that the rdf training for recruits, seem a bit haphazard at best, due to some recruits not being able to attend all training nights, This leads to constant repetition of lessons and no forward motion in the training.

I was wondering does anybody else think that we should run a recruitment drive before the annual camp each year, and have all the recruits attend this as their recruit training?

Or would it be better if recruits do pretty much the same basic as the PDF recruits, and then attend training nights.

Or would it be possible to hold a unit level recruit training camp in august just before we come back together after the summer break?
                Thats not a bad idea... Get your recruits to start off at a camp, as opposed to 4 months of tuesday nights. You would get alot more done. Im only guessing here, but I figure that marching and the steyr could be taught in 2 weeks of camp.

for the rest of their RDF career, use the tuesday nights to teach things like comms, ceremonial stuff, the bren, and of course, some fitness work too!

But this would only work if....
                a)You got the recruits medicals done before camp
                b)They were fit enough before going on the camp

Otherwise its a wasted effort.

I like your ideas though.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                  run better if units did a couple simple things, including:
                  * measuring each potential recruit before they organise the formal test
                  * ensure that each potential recruit know not to listen to loud music etc in the 48 hours before the audiogram

Personally I would see:
                  January - March: the enlistment process (it could begin earlier if required)
                  March/April - May: module 1
                  June: no training (exams & holidays)
                  July: module 2 & courses/duties
                  August: no training (holidays) & courses/duties
                  September: passing out & start of 3 star training
                  Dont forget to get them checked for colour vision before they go for the medicals! It would save alot of time, when I was at my FCA medical, 2 out of 5 of us were colourblind!

DeV, I like your idea of a two module program. Only one problem....As you have said, exams are a tough time for people.... And summer exams are the most important. So why would you have your primary module in March/April? Why not put it back to June, or do it right after christmas?

Comment

As i've said the syllabus breaks it into 2 modules. It also sets out what lessons are to be taught in each (its main very basic lessons that are covered in module 1).

Getting the very basic lessons, for example attention, ease, easy out of the way before camp, allows the more valuable camp time which is limited to 2 weeks (not actually a long time to cover all the subjects) to be used on more complex lessons.

Comment

Centralised recruitment is essential. In smaller corps units the effort to train small numbers of recruits is stifling the units ability to do their corps training. Recruits should be interviewed as to suitibility before being assigned to the units. i.e. trainee healthcare people or those interested in such a career to the medics, IT/Telecomms people to the CIS Corps, builders, drivers to the Logistics etc... anyone falling in between the cracks could have corps determined by interview.

The current ad-hoc system is bullshit and the sooner it is realised the better the RDF will be, and the sooner it will be able to fulfill roles expected of them like overseas. It would also eliminate the them Vs us bullshit. PDF medics would take the RDF seriously if their reservist counterpart worked in A&E during the day, or CIS guy whose day job was working with Smart Telecom deploying broadband switches, or the engineer who wires houses for a living.
                      Last edited by Laoch; 9 October 2005, 19:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Laoch
                        The current ad-hoc system is bullshit and the sooner it is realised the better the RDF will be, and the sooner it will be able to fulfill roles expected of them like overseas. It would also eliminate the them Vs us bullshit. PDF medics would take the RDF seriously if their reservist counterpart worked in A&E during the day, or CIS guy whose day job was working with Smart Telecom deploying broadband switches, or the engineer who wires houses for a living.
                        Not true. You think that the PDF medics spend their days in and out of A&E.....

As said else where on the board, respect is earned. This can be achieved even if somebody doesnt work in A&E.

Some people specifically join other RDF units to get away from their civvie job.

Picture this. An EMT decides to join the RDF Medical Corps, the still have to go through recruit training...
                        If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Point being ?? of course he has to do recruit training, it has nothing to do with medical training. It is the same in the CIS, we get people with degree's in Computer science, engineering etc.. but the military side of the CIS still has to be learnt. This is actually a net benefit to the soldier in his/her civilian job as it widens their experience for industry.

Comment

Centralised training is the only way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
                              Picture this. An EMT decides to join the RDF Medical Corps, the still have to go through recruit training...
                              As Laoch has already said...Your point being?

I back: Centralised recruit training, and putting people where their skills are (unless they dont want that!)

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyjim
                                As Laoch has already said...Your point being?

I back: Centralised recruit training, and putting people where their skills are (unless they dont want that!)
                                What I am saying is that some people who have certain skills in civvie street might not want to use them in RDF. Simply putting people into certain units will not do anything for the unit if the person doesnt want to be there.

Also, if you told an EMT that they could join the Medical Corps but only after they sat through months of recruit medical lectures. If it was me I think I would go else where.

But having said that, I do agree with centralised recruit training.
                                If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Working...
                                X