OSI have released the TrailMaster software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSI have released the TrailMaster software

99euro for 1/4 of Ireland in 1:50k for route planning and GPS integration.

FYI

Available on the OSI online shop
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

NB this means all the Discovery maps are inside it . Has 3d height/climb and photos too.

Also, you can print the maps ..... i.e. the bits you want ....

Comment

Well, I've bought it now... off to my home PC

[ obtained from National Map Centre on Aungier St D2 for €99 ]

Comment

They were having some issued with the GPS compatibality. is that fixed?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Seems to work fine with Garmin GPS systems. It's really excellent being able to print only the map areas you want. Pity it's only 1/50 000 scale maps. I thought the OS were working on a 1/25 000 version of the Wicklow area.
          Beart do reir ar mbriathar

Comment

yes, the osi is working on a 1:25000 of wicklow. still no date for when it will be ready.

there is a good 1:25000 map of the mid wicklow/glendalough/glenmalure area available in most good outdoor shops. the colouring scheme is different to osi maps, a bit more like an orienteering map, so takes a little getting used to.

its a good substitute until the osi one is available. sorry cant remember the printers name on the map. mine is in several smaller section now.
            Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Comment

I think the printers are Harvey and it's 1/30 000 scale. It's a grand map for hillwalking but from recollection I don't think it has all of the Wicklow area.

Comment

So why did they ony include a few stripes across the country?
                With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

the harvey maps are very good (mostly) and are some unusual scale 1:30k or 1:40k. You can get them in the outdoor shops in town. They have done connemara and part of wicklow. don't trust them 100%, I got slightly sidetracked one day (in fog, map+compass, no GPS) - one of the fences near kippure is in the wrong place on the map.

Pat Healy did a map a few years ago which you could get in the Great Outdoor which was also very good, and 1:25K scale. I don't know if it's still in print.

I am sure if someone put in a few month's work at the OS, they could put together the best parts of both these maps + all the orienteering maps there are there, and make a great 1:25K map of wicklow. Would it pay for itself is another question.

Why indeed did OSI not put all of the 1:50K mapping on the DVD? They must have it available at the click of a mouse. The cynical part of me says they just put the upland areas on the DVD so that farmers and business users will still have to pay to get digital mapping of the lowland areas where the good land is.

aside from that, OSNI do great maps of the mournes although the colour scheme is a bit weird. That's a great area for hillwalking if you get bored of wicklow, and very accessible

Comment

Why indeed did OSI not put all of the 1:50K mapping on the DVD? They must have it available at the click of a mouse. The cynical part of me says they just put the upland areas on the DVD so that farmers and business users will still have to pay to get digital mapping of the lowland areas where the good land is.
                    Yeah, it beats me why they didn't at least have a DVD for each of the provences. On the basis they just have a small section of Dublin (the start of the Wicklow Way route) I'm sure you're right when you say it was for business reasons.

A word of advice if you buy the software. Printing maps takes ages. You need a machine with plenty of RAM, the more the better.

Comment

Well, its working fine

Uploads and downloads for my GPS are OK
                      Route printing is great I have a 1-50k of the area I want

Orthophotos are there also, as are 3-d trail evaluation [ height loss/gain ]

Also 3-d flythroughs both on 1:450, 1:50 and orthophoto

Also has realtime GPS [ moving map ] capability

Printing doesn't take that long : < 60 secs for 1 A4 fullcolour of 1:50k . on my Pixma IP2000

The East : the one I bought : covers Bottom of Dublin down the east coast to just below Fermoy

a few bugs need to be worked out OK, but it's a good start and definitely worth 99

As for the 1:25 only the Aran Islands and Killarney National park is avail. Pat Healy's map, and the Harveys map are still available.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
                        99euro for 1/4 of Ireland in 1:50k for route planning and GPS integration.
                        Will you get a free-upgrade to 100%?
                        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

can you put an example up for us to see Trelhiem
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

http://www.irishmaps.ie/product/disp...roductID=23706

Shop link

http://www.osi.ie/mapping/other/newProducts.shtml

intro etc
                            http://www.osi.ie/mapping/other/OSi_...Step_Guide.pdf

Comment

Working...
                            X