No announcement yet.

Battle Inoculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here, in Basic in the US there's the "Night Infiltration" course. Basically you're low-crawling across an open space, with the occasional obstacle such as barbed wire, while they fire a mix of ball/Tracer 7.62mm from tripod-mounted MGs over your head. Combine with charges in pits that go 'Boom' every now and then.

They did have the Ride of the Valkyries segment from Apocolypse Now going over the loudspeakers at the time though.. "Outstanding, Red Six! Outstanding! You'll get your case of beer for that one!"

Seriously, for all the effort that the US tries to recreate battlefield conditions, the most important one cannot be replicated: The fact that in training, you know very well they're trying not to kill you, and in the field, they have absolutely no objection to killing you. I'm not sure if the concept of battlefield innoculation can really work.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

I can still remember the butts in kilworth co cork .Their was always some guy who would hit anything but the target

when the rounds were'ping' pinging, off the rusty metal frames, thats when i use to worry cos i was sure the next round was about to do an about turn and head for me.

Those big white targets only looked like teabags from 5 hundred yards and
      I am pretty sure we did a live round inoculation in our 3 star training there as well.

i should have sued the army for putting us in that shed without a gasmask, I am still coughing in my sleep after all these years.

Comment

I believe that the whole idea of our "battle innoculation" is so when you first hear large weapons fired in your area that you dont crap yourself.I can understand why we did it going to the leb when we were constantly caught in the middle.But as for kosovo go figure.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Possibly to do with the fact that the Former Yugoslavia was the largest producer of arms in europe, and you are likely to come up against any one of them at any time(most of the AK47 in terrorist hands are Yugoslav made).
          [sarcasm]Kosovo was not always the friendly happy place it is today[/sarcasm]. Ask any Local. It has the potential to spark off again at short notice, and the amount of heavy weapons hidden in sheds is something the UN were only able to guess.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Not once did we come across any heavy weapons in kosovo.AK,s yes as every man and his dog has one.The most common time you would hear firing is after a wedding(which are weekly events !)The odd time fueding families would open up but never with anything bigger than an ak.
            p.s i was on a search team out there,and we searched every kind of structure you can think of from sheds to airports and never did we come across what you are talking about.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
              [sarcasm]Kosovo was not always the friendly happy place it is today[/sarcasm]. Ask any Local. It has the potential to spark off again at short notice, and the amount of heavy weapons hidden in sheds is something the UN were only able to guess.
              From conversation with a Kosovar- agreed. Apparrantly a beautiful country though, and highly recommended for a holiday.
              Take these men and women for your example.
              Like them, remember that posterity can only
              be for the free; that freedom is the sure
              possession of those who have the
              courage to defend it.
              Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
              If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by apod
                Not once did we come across any heavy weapons in kosovo.AK,s yes as every man and his dog has one.The most common time you would hear firing is after a wedding(which are weekly events !)The odd time fueding families would open up but never with anything bigger than an ak.
                p.s i was on a search team out there,and we searched every kind of structure you can think of from sheds to airports and never did we come across what you are talking about.
                Ah Apod, Its a pity you were not in the army during Operation Mallard. You would have put an end to the IRA armes caches forever....Next stop Iran?

Comment

You trying to be a smart arse goldie ? sorry if i know more about kosovo than you having been there?
                  Where you?

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
                    From conversation with a Kosovar- agreed. Apparrantly a beautiful country though, and highly recommended for a holiday.
                    It's an absolute kip. Iraq would be a better holiday destination.
                    "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Originally posted by combatlogo
                      Really? I heard good things about the place. Leaving aside the bitterness, ethnic tensions, "Bin Laden Army" etc, it's meant to be quite pleasant.

Of course, after you "leave aside" I'm not sure what else is left.
                      Take these men and women for your example.
                      Like them, remember that posterity can only
                      be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                      possession of those who have the
                      courage to defend it.
                      Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                      If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by combatlogo
                        As a civilian, I for one have no intention of visiting any of the above, holiday or not .

Comment

Originally posted by apod
                          You trying to be a smart arse goldie ? sorry if i know more about kosovo than you having been there?
                          Where you?
                          No. I only made it as far as Brko.(I assume you know where that is?)

You are seeking hero worship again. You won't find it here.

Comment

for the perfect COuntry try Bosnia

absolutley gorgeous people to strangers
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

[QUOTE=hedgehog]for the perfect COuntry try Bosnia

absolutley gorgeous people to strangers[/QUOTE]

Did'nt they win the eurovision?

y'omani' du poi' ......... united kingdom 2 points .

Comment

Try Somalia , there a few weeks ago, Prices of AKs gone up but everything available from the market. up to sam 7s

Comment

Working...
                                X