Hexamine or gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok now we are seriously getting into muppet show territory
    The chances of a round hitting your gas canister are so slim as to be non existant!
    What would you be doing carrying a gas canister on a section in atk for anyway???
    Andy you are right gas is faster and cleaner,but the army will NOT RESUP YOU WITH GAS .PERIOD!
    So what do you do when you run out???You should allways(even if you use a gas stove )
    carry 3-4 hexi tabs sealed in plastic with your emergency brew kit.If you never use them great,happy days.But allways have a reserve.
    Even for those who do still swear by hexi.Never assume that you will get a resup.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

And what if the DF decided to ditch the hexi completely, and replace it with gas burners? Would they resupply with hexi then too?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle
        We have the same issued here... but $4.99 at Bde QM ?? Man, that is grand theft !!! They can't be worth more than $0.50 !!

I didn't pay any attention to the price on Bde QM...but you are correct, that is a hell of a rip off. I've seen them for $1 on Cheaper Than Dirt, which is probably about right !!!

Those little Trioxine (or whatever they're called) tabs can be found online pretty cheaply too. I think I bought a box of 50 for a few dollars. I've never seen the tabs been officially issued either.

But seeing as I'm a coffee addict, I wouldn't be without it.

Later.
        No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

I've stopped bringing hexi's on the ground. I have gas in my main pack and in my webbing I carry a crusader cooker and about 10 packets of ethanol gel fuel.

The gel is smokless and is hotter then hexi's also its practically impossible to see at a distance. It can also be set alight much easier then a hexi, there's no smell and its much less weightly / bulky then hexi tabs and a burner.

Crusader cooker

crusader mug

Ethanol gel fuel
          Last edited by Bam Bam; 19 January 2006, 06:30.
          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

shouldn't this thread be split?, it's gone way off topic
            Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

No then the gas would be resupplied.What i am trying to is that the q staff will only resup you with issue items.(unfortunately).
              Even if hexi went off the issue it would be a good idea to stock pile a few boxes before it did to keep as a reserve.4-5 tabs take up no room in a utility pouch as an emergency backup.
              P.s i decided to buy a small gas stove but i will stil keep my emergency hexi tabs.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                Gas is superior full stop. Anyone messing around with a peice of tin and hexy tablets is wasting their time. If someone offered you a hexi or a gas burner which would you take ? Gas for me please.
                Thre are advantages and disadvantages to both. But it really comes down to what system you're likely to be resupped with. Gas may be grand if your experience is limited to going to the range, or those strenuous exercises that go on for at least 6 hours!!
                But the Army is NOT, repeat NOT going to resup you with gas, PERIOD.

Sooooooooooo...................Gas sucks and Hexi rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If you really want to save time and energy, MRE bags are the way forward. Can be used to heat food, then stick it down your sleeping bag, in your pocket to provide warmth. Can also heat the water bags that come in Survival kits. And to make MRE bombs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Used properly..I've had many a good three course meal off a hexi...pity that all courses tasted of hexi....but hey! better than starving!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Can't knock hexi's they've done the job for me in the past. Gas would be superior though. Bottom line is though that i'm not going to fork out for gas when i don't have to.
                      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

I've used both, But the Gas more for Camping, and the Hexi for Ops.

The Hexi Works, When used Properly it Boils water in 6-8 minutes. About the same as Gas, You can cook the Ration Pack Main meal without a mess tin and Besides nothing tastes like chicken noodles cooked on a Hexi. Some Food For thought: (Excuse the Pun)

Hexamine ((CH2)6N4, or C6H12N4),
                        Hexamine can be absorbed through the skin, and some people are allergic to it. This usually only manifests as a rash.
                        It is used in rubber and textile adhesives, fuel tablets (often used for heating camping food or military rations), the photographic industry, the explosives industry (for production of RDX), a corrosion inhibitor, as a protein modifier, as a reagent in chemical analysis, and in the production of deodorants and hair fixers, among many other uses. It is also used for manufacturing amino- and phenol formaldehyde resins.

As a food additive, hexamine is used as a preservative in cheeses. It has E number E239.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine"

One type is sold in the form of hexamine tablets, on the order of a centimeter in size. This form, pioneered under the trade name Esbit, emits small amounts of cyanide when it burns, and should not be used in enclosed spaces. Sterno® (Canned Heat™) is a pink flammable gel that is also used in solid-fuel stoves.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_stove"

People use 2 Tablets thinking that it'll cook twice as fast. it doesn't all you get is twice the Flames.

As for Gas, I saw Someone turn a stove on, Go looking for their lighter. Got talking to someone, went and borrowed a lighter, Came back and almost blew themselves up when they lit it. Luckily it wasn't an Enclosed space but confined enought to leave more than a few singed eyebrows.
                        Last edited by Bailer; 20 January 2006, 10:50.
                        Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

The americans use a Flameless heater apparently, found this on howstuffworks.com:

The idea behind a flameless heater is to use the oxidation of a metal to generate heat. Magnesium metal works better than iron because it rusts much more quickly. To make a flameless heater, magnesium dust is mixed with salt and a little iron dust in a thin, flexible pad about the size of a playing card. To activate the heater, a soldier adds a little water. Within seconds the flameless heater reaches the boiling point and is bubbling and steaming. To heat the meal, the soldier simply inserts the heater and the MRE pouch back in the box that the pouch came in. Ten minutes later, dinner is served!
                          Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

The down side to gas is its in a pressurised conatainer and is highly explosive!
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Dont forget to lean it against a rock or something
                              When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                              All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

I got a few of those bags, and apparently they cook alot quicke if you bury them while they cooking, been meaing to test out if it makes any noticeable difference.....
                                The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Working...
                                X