Hexamine or gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by X-RayOne
    all that said, on a general note for military use you still can't go wrong with hexi cookers. small, simple, no parts to break, quick enough to cook on and always loads of spare fuel tabs to be found.
    Very well put I mean it always does the job. If you want the gucci kit, then get it but throw throw a hexi in the bergen and leave it there as a backup.
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

[QUOTE=andy]Americans falling over themselves for a hexi ??? I dont think so. They probably eat their food cold rather than play around with a hexi or have company assets which heat the food for them.

I cant belive anyone actually rates the hexi. A spare gas cylinder will last you absolutley ages. Whens the last time you got hexi tablet from the DF either in the PDF or RDF ??

You don think so?Go on mp.net and do a searchif you dont believe me.And who is gonna heat your food for you when you are up the mountains away from your logs train??
      When was the last time i got a resup of hexi on the ground?um let me see every time i go on exercise or live ops.That is what the q staff do on the ground.Resup of the f echelon.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I carry a hexi for an emergency brew but other than that I rarely use it. Some folks here carry the small stove with gas bottle - small and light enough and they do last a while.

Our MRE's have heater bags in then where you just add a little water and it heats your meal
        There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Never mix up your hexi tab with yer kendel mint cake!
          Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
          Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

Originally posted by ARNGScout
            I carry a hexi for an emergency brew but other than that I rarely use it. Some folks here carry the small stove with gas bottle - small and light enough and they do last a while.

Our MRE's have heater bags in then where you just add a little water and it heats your meal
            Yeah,but you dont get issued those gas stoves do ye?And from what i have read and heard from the yanks we met in kosovo ,one of the biggest gripes you guys have is that the us army doesn't issue you anything so you can brew water for the all important coffee.
            Is this still the csea or has it changed?? :confused:
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

These little things are quite common and handy. Apod, exactly right, for the almighty cup of joe...can't move without it !!!

Link:

They clip underneath the canteen cup, take up no space, and are virtually weightless. They are an issue item, but I've never actually seen them being issued. Everyone just seems to have one (or at least those that want them.) They just seem to be passed around. I can't even remember who gave me mine.
              No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

lets put it to a poll

which is better the simple and reliable hexi or the heavier and prone to run out gas cooker

A lot of arguments are that it takes longer with the hexi to boil water

you wouldnt beleive the amount of clowns that boil a mess tin with out putting a lid of some type over it
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

They have a new boil in the bag kit to heat up water in the latest MREs, its essentially a heavy plastic bag you can fill up with water and stick in the heating bag as if it was a ration pack. Works just fine and gets your coffee going.Still, you need the gas cooker to heat up the Ramen noodles.
                  When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                  All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Originally posted by strummer
                    These little things are quite common and handy. Apod, exactly right, for the almighty cup of joe...can't move without it !!!

Link:

They clip underneath the canteen cup, take up no space, and are virtually weightless. They are an issue item, but I've never actually seen them being issued. Everyone just seems to have one (or at least those that want them.) They just seem to be passed around. I can't even remember who gave me mine.
                    We have the same issued here... but $4.99 at Bde QM ?? Man, that is grand theft !!! They can't be worth more than $0.50 !!
                    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by herr flick
                      Never mix up your hexi tab with yer kendel mint cake!
                      Mmmm that must have been absoluetly putred.
                      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Gas is superior full stop. Anyone messing around with a peice of tin and hexy tablets is wasting their time. If someone offered you a hexi or a gas burner which would you take ? Gas for me please.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                          Gas is superior full stop.
                          All I will say is that I am still using the original gas canister that came with the Burner.

Hexi Tabs are used up a lot faster and take forever to work. Because I usually don't have time, I perfer to use a gas cooker. This usually means that I have heated my meal and eaten and usually then go to help others get their meals heated. It is that quick.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                            Gas is superior full stop. Anyone messing around with a peice of tin and hexy tablets is wasting their time.
                            How is it a waste of time if it works? Gas works very well, but hexi's are adequate. Why is this so hard for you to accept?
                            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

If a round hits a gas canister, what happens to it? I wouldn't imagine you'd be in much of a condition to carry out a section in attack when you're riddled with shrapnel and/or on fire

Also, even if all you have are hexi blocks, you can rig a burner by digging out a small pit in the ground and supporting the mess tin/cup on a couple of bayonets. If the gas burner breaks, you're fecked.

Comment

Yea myth busters on the discovery channel confirmed that a round hitting a gas canister or a petrol tank will not cause an explosion, unless there is a spark from something.
                                The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Working...
                                X