Eu Battle Groups Go Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eu Battle Groups Go Ahead

Good news indeed, i suppose tomorrow the minister will announce the hundreds of millions of investment in weapons and equipment that the defence forces actually need to be able to effectively carry out this participation. eg, airlift, transport ships, medium lift helos, more mowags for the cav Don't hold your breath!

From Ireland.com

The minister also said he proposed providing "for the participation by Defence Forces personnel in humanitarian operations" in response to natural and man-made disasters such as the tsunami in South East Asia.

This is important also, particularly with regard to other procurement decisions (Blue/Green vessel/C27J etc). The comment is made in relation to changes in the Defence Act, but displays that the Govt is actively engaging in the idea that the DF will have a role in disaster relief. This could be interesting.

As for partners for the EU Battlegroups, any ideas?

(btw, should this be in the politics forum?)

Comment

Legislation is to be introduced to allow members of the DF to train overseas. The actual numbers of Irish troops will be around 12 initially, but eventually around 200 troops will be involved.

Comment

he finally decided to join up was he not looking to have the name cahnged to "peace groups" before he would join

FF will not be happy if we end up working with UK they will probably join up with sweeden & finland instead
        The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
        They were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MOB87
          FF will not be happy if we end up working with UK
          Why?

It was already half-assumed that we would make up one brigade with the Sweden.
          Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

I was under the impression of late that the Swedes will be working in a Norwegian/Estonian/Finnish group?

There are obviously issues for some people in working with the UK, but for geographic and language reasons, to name just two, surely it makes the most sense?

Comment

And were have close working relationship operating with the British Armed Forces operating in Kosovo as the Irish-Finnish Battle Group there have conduted joint operations before in are/there Area Of Operations (AO) etc..

I think it would be a good thing to operate with the British Armed forces and would show how much we as a society have come on in such a short period from the days when they were the enemy and now they would be are allies/partner so to speak...
              British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
              Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                Legislation is to be introduced to allow members of the DF to train overseas.
                And to allow armed foreign troops to train here presumably. Be interesting to see British soldiers back in the Glen and n Kilworth again.
                sigpic
                Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                My favourite moment was when the
                red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Well they did build the place..its only right we let them use it again..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

but eventually around 200 troops will be involved
                    Is this 200 target going to be set out in legislation, or is it just an indicative figure? How does this affect the 850 figure already set out for the EU RRF? (would it be 'in addition to', or inclusive?).

As for the foreign troops training here being a constitutional issue, that still sounds like a very convenient red herring to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan
                      Is this 200 target going to be set out in legislation, or is it just an indicative figure? How does this affect the 850 figure already set out for the EU RRF? (would it be 'in addition to', or inclusive?).

As for the foreign troops training here being a constitutional issue, that still sounds like a very convenient red herring to me.
                      wasn't their a bunch of "special" people from Sweden in Cork last year?......was that technically illegal:confused:
                      Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Troops from a number of other countries have trained here on occasion, both in terms of the UN School in the Curragh, other 'special' visitors and general training swaps. Its never been an issue before this, so I can't see how it could be now, all of a sudden.

Comment

wasnt there a foregin cadet class here from an African country about 3 yrs ago?!?
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

The constitution is quite specific in stating that only the government may maintain armed forces in this state. However since a blind eye has been turned to the IRA for years they might treat foreign armies in the same manner.

Troops from a number of other countries have trained here on occasion, both in terms of the UN School in the Curragh, other 'special' visitors and general training swaps. Its never been an issue before this, so I can't see how it could be now, all of a sudden.
                            They haven't been armed.

Originally posted by Odin_ie
                            wasnt there a foregin cadet class here from an African country about 3 yrs ago?!?
                            From Zambia. They also had members in two Cadet classes here in the 70s.
                            Last edited by Groundhog; 10 February 2006, 13:51.
                            sigpic
                            Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

The cadet class must have been armed in some way to complete their training
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X