X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by AC182 View Post
    All that aside, I know how some of you feel about losing your beret. Re-shaping a new beret is always a pain in the a**.
    My new beret shaped very nicely, thanks...

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    exactly my point

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Make the bad man go away, please make the bad man go away.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    I think we've reached the point where no one is willing to raised their hand and say "My Bad, lets alter the regs and be done with it".
    It *was* looked at and the answer came back "no change" . I am not arguing with that guy in that job , I had an argument with him a long time ago and came off the worse ... Bravo20 knows of who I speak. I'd queue up most of the DF in a line before I'd do that again.

Leave a comment:

• AC182
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    So they fecked up around 1800-2000 people with a unworkable instruction to save 200 people having to move them!?

There is a fairly good chance that there was at least 1 person who regularly wears DPMs there when they decided on the left shoulder.

I'm pro a distinguishing feature too, we had one and there was nothing wrong with it. No problem whatsoever wearing it.
    Also It probably saved about 50 - 60 people moving existing flashes. The days of 200 strength are long long gone I'm afraid...

Leave a comment:

• AC182
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    So they fecked up around 1800-2000 people with a unworkable instruction to save 200 people having to move them!?

There is a fairly good chance that there was at least 1 person who regularly wears DPMs there when they decided on the left shoulder.

I'm pro a distinguishing feature too, we had one and there was nothing wrong with it. No problem whatsoever wearing it.
    Totally agree. I'm not suggesting that the approach is right, just how (I think) it evolved.
    I think we've reached the point where no one is willing to raised their hand and say "My Bad, lets alter the regs and be done with it".

All that aside, I know how some of you feel about losing your beret. Re-shaping a new beret is always a pain in the a**.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by AC182 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge the Cultaca flash is worn on the left to standardise with the NSR who have worn it there since 2005 when it replaced the slua muiri flas worn on both shoulders. Fine in theory.

Problem arose because the left shoulder was fine on nsr uniforms where nothing impeded its correct mounting. Occationally the ireland flash needed to be lowered slightly. NSR were not issued DPM until last year (depending on your unit/luck) and were not given subdued flashes for same. So when the AR were suddenly made put them on dpm.... Ooooops.... (to be fair not the biggest mistake ever)

What id be interested to see is if the reg was changed to the right shoulder, who would be satisfied and who would still cry foul.

My personnal opinion is im pro the distinguishing mark. I see it as no different then a unit insignia. Im proud to be recognised as a reserve and i let me skills as a soldier/deckhand say the rest.

If my work is of a lower standard, you wont need the flash to point it out. And if you cant tell the difference then what does it matter.

Leave a comment:

• AC182
    replied
    To the best of my knowledge the Cultaca flash is worn on the left to standardise with the NSR who have worn it there since 2005 when it replaced the slua muiri flas worn on both shoulders. Fine in theory.

Problem arose because the left shoulder was fine on nsr uniforms where nothing impeded its correct mounting. Occationally the ireland flash needed to be lowered slightly. NSR were not issued DPM until last year (depending on your unit/luck) and were not given subdued flashes for same. So when the AR were suddenly made put them on dpm.... Ooooops.... (to be fair not the biggest mistake ever)

What id be interested to see is if the reg was changed to the right shoulder, who would be satisfied and who would still cry foul.

My personnal opinion is im pro the distinguishing mark. I see it as no different then a unit insignia. Im proud to be recognised as a reserve and i let me skills as a soldier/deckhand say the rest.

If my work is of a lower standard, you wont need the flash to point it out. And if you cant tell the difference then what does it matter.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    I agree - BUT - we are a million times better than where we were ( red epaulettes on SD1 ...
    Yup remember those days too.... 😕

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Originally posted by Laners View Post
    Yes , like mood altering drugs etc .
    And Don 10.

Leave a comment:

• Laners
    replied
    Originally posted by ODIN View Post
    True...but weren't they the unit that was usually used to test new things?
    Yes , like mood altering drugs etc .

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Getting back to the scenario at hand. Supposed to be a SFC. Then the CĂșltaca badge is introduced. It's up on my SD No1 tunic. The subdued version will not fit on the apex of the sleeve of the DPM shirts I have. As I said before, when the black beret was being introduced, if they wanted differentiation they should have introduced green patch behind cap badge. As they did for RDF MPs.

The RAF have scrapped the differentiating patch on their uniforms. As far as I know, the sky has not fallen in over in the UK.
    I agree - BUT - we are a million times better than where we were ( red epaulettes on SD1 and Green berets, and red F.C.A. tab ) when I joined

getting the hump over a very small flash sounds like a small issue; as I said above PDF are spotting that some aren't bothering to wear it ( ESPECIALLY those above the Pte rank ) due to essentially crappy "wont' fit- can't be arsed- excuses" remember this is the DF - everyone looks at everyone else - and our credibility suffers

( look at the counter argument - if enough people wear the cultaca high you can be sure they will change it but until then there won't be jack-shit ).

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Indeed my place of work (also a multinational), contractors (me) wear a different colour ID badge to the natives. Visitors wear a different colour badge again (let's just say that the colour makes it stand out). Visitors have to be signed in for a badge. Contractors are issued theirs on induction, same as the natives. Badge security profile dictates levels of access after that.

Getting back to the scenario at hand. Supposed to be a SFC. Then the CĂșltaca badge is introduced. It's up on my SD No1 tunic. The subdued version will not fit on the apex of the sleeve of the DPM shirts I have. As I said before, when the black beret was being introduced, if they wanted differentiation they should have introduced green patch behind cap badge. As they did for RDF MPs.

The RAF have scrapped the differentiating patch on their uniforms. As far as I know, the sky has not fallen in over in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by ODIN View Post
    Well, back when I was a sprog reservist, testing new kit would have been the domain of the Wing and the permanent border units (27, 28, 29 Inf Bns and 4 Cav Sqn). Of course, two of those units have now gone to the history books...

Leave a comment:

• ODIN
    replied
    Originally posted by apod View Post
    No.Private purchase.Look at the unit,and individual wearing it and then ask yourself if you are surprised

Leave a comment:

Working...
X