Irish Artillery Ranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Artillery Ranks

What is the Corporal rank in the Artillery in the Irish Army?In Australia we have followed the british system where a corporal is a Bombadier,Lance Bombadier and private is a Gunner.There are no ex Gunners in the world as there are no ex Popes.
    I have been busted here from Bombadier to recruit.....bugga!!!!!
    Hanno

Thanks mate..and thank you for the quick reply.
    Hanno
    Hanno

Comment

Yep Corporal, only Pte's have Different names for their ranks in the Irish DF.

Gunner = Artillery/Air Defence
      Trooper = Cavalry
      Signalman/signalwoman = CIS
      Airman/Airwoman
      Seaman/Seawoman

Of Course Unit Titles in Rank Markings Change aswell as In
      Battery Sgt. instead of Company Sgt.
      Regimental Qutermaster Sergeant insted of Bn QMS
      Flight Quatermaster Sergeant in the Air Corps etc etc.

Are Cav the Same i.e. Squadron Quatermaster Sergeant??

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Trooper is the rank of Armour and Cavalry and SASR and they are Squadrons,hence SQMS etc.As Armour is in a Regiment we have RQMS and RSM,Squadrons have SSMs.
        Hanno

Comment

Thank you for a quick reply.
          Hanno

Comment

Sorry,Signalman/woman.Airman/woman and Seaman/woman.It looks like they are trying to intergrate females into Infantry Battalions etc,I don't like this idea as a bloke will defend a female and forget his real duty.
            Hanno

Comment

I knew that was the case in foreign armies hanno, that question was directed at out own Cav members here.

We only have 1 Armd Sqn. 5 tanks in total (I may be wrong)

Comment

In the Cav anybody with the sgt rank or higher is called Sir!... i think? a Very confusing system,

THANK GOD FOR THE INFANTRY!!! :flagwave: :flagwave: :flagwave:
                Last edited by T.I.M.; 1 May 2003, 18:33.
                Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

I Ment sargent, as you can see i have changed it.... Mabye we should get Hawk in here (or some cav heads) to explain their rank system!
                  Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

Comment

We Call our officers "na h-IFies" or Orifices

Comment

anybody above the rank of sgt in the inf can be called sir but you do not salute them:flagwave:
                      it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                      Winston churchill

Comment

Originally posted by beenthere
                        anybody above the rank of sgt in the inf can be called sir but you do not salute them:flagwave:
                        I remember making the mistake of calling my C/S Sir before, the reply from him was ...... colourfull!

Comment

I can understand that as I know him. did he tell you that he works for a living
                          it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                          Winston churchill

Comment

it was more like "F**k off, what the f**k do you think i am? ,i work for a living, if you call me that again ill have you shot!" ... then walked off laughing!

*edited by T.I.M. due to dirty Words.....
                            Last edited by T.I.M.; 1 May 2003, 21:37.

Comment

As an artillery Gunner myself I feel I should contribute to this thread :D but I think all John P Hannon's questions have been answered so this really has no purpose anymore.

So I think I'll keep it alive for now by asking: are there any other units that have messed up ranking systems. i.e. they call the sargents 'sir' ect. ???

Comment

Working...
                              X