Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Morale Low in the RDF since the reorg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Morale Low in the RDF since the reorg?

Since last october, speaking to my former colleagues in Infantry units, I get the impression that nothing has happened since the Reorg.
    Traditional unit identities are gone, sometimes with the centres where they were located,
    Training programs are non existent, apart from practicing for easter,
    Those who try to transfer to a corps unit(where all the fun seems to be had) are having their requests delayed by unexplained forces.

Maybe its just something I have noticed within my own circle of friends, or is it a countrywide phenomenon?

The only units I see who are active are the Corps units and the Naval reserve.

Every other unit is suffering from dwindling numbers, while one local centre, previously a company HQ, has lost its phone, and another sits in the way of a major housing development, and is widely rumoured to be destined for a meeting with a bulldozer.
    The Continued non attendance of its disillusioned post reorg members are accelerating this future.

Many see nothing but empty promises coming from brass since the reorg, with tales of courses and overseas all due to commence "soon", while those who see through the promises decide their spare time can be better spent elsewhere and drift away from the RDF to other more tangible things.

Or am I Imagining it?
    Yes, Lower than it has ever been,
    37.78%
    No, Things couldn't be better
    12.22%
    Maybe, but its a transition period and things will improve..
    50.00%

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Your not imagining it Goldie , moral has been non existant in the company Im in since about a year to six months pre-reorg. I pulled out of my transfer to a corps unit as I knew my coy-commander would refuse the request since Im one of the few NCO's active in the company (Dairygold are requesting more & more time off me though).
    Just to see a training programme filled out for a month or two would be unique to see but to implament it thats jusy wishful thinking at the moment. The tales of courses is so true Ive seen dates of courses put in place and put my name forward for two of these only now to here that they are cancelled.
    Im working 48 to 72 hours a week and have a girl friend, whome I love very much, I really dont see myself giving as much time as before to the reserve since alot of what was promised to keep my interest and the interest of my friends up is now falling by the way side (training recruits for 2 weeks in deep west cork is not my way of having fun in the summer)
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

In all honesty, there hasn't been much tangible change as yet in my unit either. I live in hope. We have been slated to move to the same location as our sister unit, but as yet, it hasn't happened. A lot of foot shuffling on our side has ensured that any decent locations in the proposed move have been snapped up by those who were more on the ball...
      I know at least some of our unit will be kept very busy this year, at least.
      Last edited by Truck Driver; 11 March 2006, 17:28.
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I've seen a big change in my sub-unit training wise. We're getting courses and exercises thrown at us, as for the Battalion as a whole I wouldn't know.
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

I note that although 17 (at the time I looked) people voted on the poll (I didn't, I'm in two minds as regards the Re-Org), not too many are expressing an opinion or giving us the lowdown on what's happening in their locations....
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Its like getting up on a sunday.

You have great plans about what you'll do today.

Its just a matter of getting out of bed and taking those first few steps.

Only the bed is so warm.
            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

well as i only rejoined before christmas i cant offer any opinion as to how my unit operated pre re org but in the month we ve been parading tha ave attendence has been less than 6 bods and a lot of ptes and nco's arent coming back because the bren has been re introduced despite they spending the summer training on the gpmg.

as for training in 4 weeks all we ve done is stand around chatting and 1 ten minute lesson on the flag. theres no point trying to teach anything if its all going to have to be re- covered in a few weeks anyway . gen opinion is the re org isnt working
              Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

I voted "No, Things coundn't be better." I would say myself that things are definitely looking up in my company.

The Evidence: Since last autumn in my company we've done a Singcar course, gotten GPMG's which we're now training on. Our two stars which passed out last autumn are well on the way to getting their 3 stars. This summer we're doing a support weapon course, doing two weeks of exercises with the PDF in addition to normal training.

The training programme for the trained men is being kept to and being covered completely.

Only major problem in my sub unit is the severe shortage of privates due to a few slack years which affects the level of tactical training we can do on our own. The dedicated group which we have are great but we need alot more bods. The old problem of people not being able to turn up due to work could be greatly reduced if we were paid for weekends and field days.

Comment

I've seen both good and bad things, but soldiers being soldiers we reflect more on the bad things.

More courses, so many mandays that we should be getting paid for some weekends, some elements of communication have improved

WAY TOO much is being cramped into a short period of time (ie the first 3/4 months of the year).
                  Short notice of events / events being cancelled at the last minute

Too much is being into running courses, due to the courses, privates (and NCOs to instruct) them are not available for training to be upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldemboots!
                    Only major problem in my sub unit is the severe shortage of privates due to a few slack years which affects the level of tactical training we can do on our own. The dedicated group which we have are great but we need alot more bods. The old problem of people not being able to turn up due to work could be greatly reduced if we were paid for weekends and field days.
                    Same problem, paid weekends would help a bit (but then it would want to be every weekend).

Why not suggest to the powers that be that you link up with another company to do some elements of training (hint, hint).

Comment

I don't believe in companies training alot together (on their training nights and fielddays )outside of camp because it reduces company identity and pride which is important to form a choesive unit, a team.

When I was a private I preferred having the same one or two NCO's training me every week rather than a different one each week and I think that an NCO from X Coy should train people from X coy and not other companies as was the case often when I was a private.

When two companies or more train together often it can mean that the powers that be don't notice the man power problems as much when two companies train together (IMO).

Comment

Have to say as far as my sub unit is concerned anyway that morale since the re-org has gone so far south its speakin aussie now. Though i have to admit it seems to be because of the officers lack of enthusiasm for their new jobs. but in true army style, s**t roles downhill. i know people will say that its not the officers that train the troops but we cant do much without them organising weekends and field days.

Comment

Im so so on this one. My thesis is taking up so much time that I've had to bug out of a load of things including this Easter Parade(which is a major bi-atch).
                          But saying that i've seen the HMG,84 &81 which is pretty darn cool and if the annual camps can get people trained on these (to instructor level hopefully) then we will be away with ourselves as we can have unit field days to train everyone else up on these new weaps.
                          Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Since the re-org things hav actually started happpening in my unit, we have a training schedule set up and everything, only problem is not everyone is showing up.
                            What is you major malfunction numbnuts!
                            Didn't mommy and daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?!

The last words of Sgt. Hartman

Full Metal Jacket

Comment

Having been a member of the RDF since 1988, I remember a time in the 90s when you had a choice which support weapon you wanted to fire that year. Some members of my old unit fired the 60mm mortar one year, the 84 the next year, the 90(wheeled recoilless rifle) the year after that, and rounded it off with the 81. Recently these courses seem to be made available to a select few, and with the introduction of organised support companies and weapons platoons, reasons for offering such courses to those not in these support units may begin to appear.
                              To those in the RDF less than 7 years, the courses bosco mentions may seem like a milestone, but to those who were in longer, the same people who are falling by the wayside with disillusionment its the same old pattern emerging again.
                              It was said to me recently that the current generation of RDF seem excited at the chance they may become operational. But its nothing new. Ask beenthere. Members of the FCA were operational in the 70s and 80s. Many of them spent so much time on active duty with the PDF they were eventually appointed to the PDF. Many still serve in the PDF today.

As for infantry Sandbags unit now having a Training schedule, this is something most units had prior to the ReOrg. Not having one merely displays a lack of commitment of your officers in the past. Perhaps your sub-unit is now under new management? Perhaps the Proximity to Bn Hq is making your officers nervous where in the past bn HQ was only something that happened during camp?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X