No announcement yet.

Saluting The Flag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for answering the question lads, I appreciate that.
    Just wondering as its quite nice to see the flag, especially the big one flying, when I go by.
    courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

You have too much time on your hands

Comment

WAAAY too much time.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by womble
          ...especially the big one flying...
          Acknowledged by alot of personnel, on Sundays (surprisingly), "Is the flag bigger today or what?"
          Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

Hee,hee!
            I remember, once upon a quiet day in the hangar, five of us, including our Flight Sergeant, were in the prefab that passed for a hangar office, when in walked one of our pilots, in his flying suit,without hat, followed by two Army captains,one a woman. I was in one corner, buried in a newspaper. The rest of the lads were shit-talking and generally vegetating. I lowered one corner of the paper, saw our fella and resumed reading. No-body else stirred, they just stopped talking as our pilot addressed the F/Sgt by his first name, telling him that he was giving a tour of the Casa to the two Army heads. Our F/sgt barely nodded. The Army captain looked fit to bust! He went brick-red and started huffing, as if he was about to lose it. The female captain merely smiled.Our pilot just turned on his heel and ushered them out, without further ado. Outside, the male captain,just about containing a coronary, asked the pilot why we hadn't sprung to attention and saluted, why no-one appeared to show any decorum,etc,etc, and "that fella with the newspaper never even put it down!". Our pilot, just shrugged, hands firmly in pockets of the flying suit and said, "ah, sure, the lads don't bother around here!". At this point, the female captain fell about laughing and the male captain practically had a seizure. Eventually, the pilot dragged them to the Casa, gave them the tour and despatched them. He came back into the prefab, later and told us what had happened, much to our delight.I'm sure that male captain had every prejudice about the Don confirmed and his heart still stutters at the thought of it....
            regards
            GttC

Comment

For the Defence.

There was a thread in General re the flying of the Flag. I was doing a search so that if there was a similar thread the information could be merged.

The Defence Rests.

Comment

Originally posted by Itchy
                Acknowledged by alot of personnel, on Sundays (surprisingly), "Is the flag bigger today or what?"
                I only noticed the difference when i was on camp in barracks a few years ago(mortar) Never in barracks on any day other than a sunday so i was like, "why is the flag smaller than usual?" :redface:
                Docman promptly laid into me
                Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

A few tit bits from DFR A2
                  Material and dimensions.

2. The flags to be used in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs 3 and 7 of this Part of these Regulations shall be of wool bunting and of the following dimensions:-

Garrison flag - 101/2 feet hoist by 21 feet fly.

Post Flag - 6 feet hoist by 12 feet fly.

Storm flag - 3 feet hoist by 6 feet fly.

Ceremonial flag - 41/2 feet hoist by 9 feet fly.

Where and when flown.

3. (1) A Garrison flag shall, except as otherwise provided at subparagraph (3) hereof, be flown -

(a) at the Department of Defence and at the Headquarters of Commands on Sundays and Army holidays and on such other occasions as the Adjutant-General may direct; and

(b) at such other places and on such occasions as the Adjutant-General may direct.

(2) A Post flag shall, except as otherwise provided at sub-paragraphs (1) and (3) hereof, be flown at the Department of Defence, at the Headquarters of Commands and at all other occupied installations.

(3) A Storm Flag shall be flown -

(a) at temporarily occupied installations, and

(b) at the Department of Defence, the Headquarters of Commands and all other occupied installations during stormy weather.

Flagstaffs.

4. Flagstaffs shall conform to the following specifications -

(a) at the Department of Defence and Command Headquarters - not less than 50 feet and not more than 75 feet high;

(b) at all other installations - not less than 30 feet and not more than 50 feet high.

Hoisting and Lowering.

5. (1) The national flag shall be hoisted each day at Sunrise and lowered at Sundown. The call Sunrise shall be sounded when the flag is secured at the top of the staff. The call Sundown shall be sounded immediately before the lowering of the flag.

(2) The flag shall be hoisted and lowered in a dignified manner. No portion of the flag shall be permitted to touch the ground.

(3) At an installation where a Guard is mounted, the Guard shall Turn Out and Present Arms during the ceremonial hoisting and lowering of the flag and during the sounding of the calls Sunrise and Sundown. During the ceremonial hoisting or lowering, formed bodies of troops in the vicinity shall be brought to attention facing the flag, officers saluting. Individual officers and men in view of the flag shall stand at attention facing the flag and salute. Compliments shall not be paid when an adjustment only is being made in the hoist of a flag, e.g. when a flag flying at full-mast or half-mast is being adjusted to half-mast or full-mast respectively.

(4) (i) The flag shall normally be hoisted and lowered by the Orderly Officer.

(ii) In an installation where, for any reason, an Orderly Officer is not appointed, the flag shall be hoisted and lowered -

(a) by the person for the time being in charge of such installation, or

(b) in such person's absence, by an officer, or by a non-commissioned officer detailed for the purpose where an officer is not available.
                  Precedence and Display.

6. The national flag takes precedence in the State over all other flags. Where the national flag is flown with other flags on staffs of equal height, the national flag must be on the right of the line of flags (i.e. on an observer's left as he faces the flags). Where, however, one staff in a group of staffs is higher than the others the national flag must be flown from that staff.

sigpic
                  Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                  My favourite moment was when the
                  Originally posted by hedgehog
                  red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

officer sulutes bos stands to attention all others stand to attention the guard should be turned out to pay compliments but never seen it happen , thats the way we allways did it what the actual reg is i dont know probably have if somewhere.
                    "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

I thought all people of rank sgt and over salute the flag and everybody else stands to attention
                      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Hi all
                        We always turned out the guard to witness the raising/lowering of the flag and the BoS saluted, whilst the Officer lowered/raised the flag. A weather-eye was kept by some BoS's to prevent passers-by from continuing to walk past when the flag was travelling. It wasn't unknown for a stroller to get a bottling for failing to stop...
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

just found it from dfr a2 , the guard shall turn out and present arms , formed bodys shall face the flag at the position of attention officers saluting , individual officers and men shall stand at the position of attention and salute ,
                          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

I thought the procedure was that the BOS shouts at everyone to feck off out of sight while the flag is being raised....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                              I thought the procedure was that the BOS shouts at everyone to feck off out of sight while the flag is being raised....
                              Or everybody finds a nice corner out of site to hide for a few mins
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

yeah i thought it was that way too
                                Cheers Bernard......

Comment

Working...
                                X