Standards courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standards courses

Can a person complete a standards course outside of their own brigade if there is no such course in their own brigade that particular year?
    And is it true that all RDF personnel going on these courses this year are required to complete and pass medical & fitness testing?
    If so, what are the guidelines for these tests? (I'm only talking about fitness testing here)

What would you say to someone from a corps unit, sadly lacking in tactical training through no fault of their own, and certainly not through lack of attending, going on such a course...?
    I know whatever unit running a standards course is not going to listen to excuses, and rightly so, but this type of situation must arise every year???

Your opinions please.

In the past, it was not uncommon for people from other brigades to attend Standard NCO courses if there was none in their Brigade. There was a Guy from the west on mine(In the South).

If you completed a Pot NCO course, you have the required Tactical training you need for a Standard NCO course. Being In A corps unit means a certain amount of leeway will be given, but you will still be expected to pull your weight the same as those from Infantry units. It may be worth your while in advance of the course to attach yourself to an active Infantry unit to brush up on your basic fieldcraft? Most units would be more than willing to assist,assuming you can bring them something in return.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yes you can do a course outside your brigade if there is a compelling reason [ e.g. work commitments don't match your brigade dates ]

But don't expect it to all fall into place easily.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

The RDF Std NCOs Course is not run by brigades in the sense it used to be in the past - ie a course in each of the brigades.

From this year, it is done as an all army type course (as is the case in the PDF). In other words, one brigade (this year the West) is given in the task of running the course for the whole of the RDF.

The preparation is done in YOUR brigade's BTC over a couple of weekends and then you go on the course proper (ie the fulltime training).

Comment

Originally posted by GodBlessS&T
          Can a person complete a standards course outside of their own brigade if there is no such course in their own brigade that particular year?
          And is it true that all RDF personnel going on these courses this year are required to complete and pass medical & fitness testing?
          If so, what are the guidelines for these tests? (I'm only talking about fitness testing here)

What would you say to someone from a corps unit, sadly lacking in tactical training through no fault of their own, and certainly not through lack of attending, going on such a course...?
          I know whatever unit running a standards course is not going to listen to excuses, and rightly so, but this type of situation must arise every year???

Your opinions please.
          As Dev said, this years Standards Cse is an All army course and only one course is being run for the entire Reserve.

While it is true that cabdidates for the YOs and Pre Pot Offrs Cse this year have to complete both medical and fitness requirements to get on the course, I am not sure if the same applies to the Standards and Pot NCOs cses. It will be brought in in time but I am not sure Iit applies this year.

The TI/02/2000 Fitness test is described in detail in this months Connect Centre spread. Everyone should make sure they get a copy.

As for the tactical phase of the Standards cse, a lot of it is theory. You are moving away from the corporals basics and beginning to learn about the theory of war and Leadership. It is no longer following the A B C of section in attack but more why the attack is done the way it is and alternatives that can be used. The Ground phase is a still there and is a good oppurtunity to practise your skills but be prepared to answer some difficult questions. Instructors will want you to explain what you did and why you did it rather than going through the motions.

Comment

Working...
          X