Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND's & AD's

Originally posted by ex pat 007
    So we went out and had a serious of NDs at one another instead.
    I thought you lot had ADs. Americans have accidents, Brits and Irish are negligent.

So true. Series is also misspelled.
    When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
    All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
      I thought you lot had ADs. Americans have accidents, Brits and Irish are negligent.
      Americans distinguish between ADs and NDs. It's possible to have either, depending on cause.

For a start, you keep spelling "defence" wrong.
      True, but I do spell 'armour' with a 'u'

NTM
      Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Slightly off thread but what are the criteria for a AD versus a ND? Any examples of each?

Tricam
        tricam

Comment

An accidental discharge implies that it wasn't the soldier's fault (faulty safety etc)

A negligent discharge implies that the soldier is an idiot (took off their safety, made ready their weapon when not ordered to, etc)

Comment

They are the same thing. If a round leaves your weapon when you don't intend it to, its your fault.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

No, it isn't.

For example, slamfires in the M-4 are a mechanical error built into the weapon. They are not the fault of the soldier, nothing the soldier does can prevent it. That would be an AD.

If the bloke has the safety off and the finger pulling the trigger when he chambers the M-4, however, that would be an ND.

NTM

Comment

Explain a Slamfire?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                  Explain a Slamfire?
                  When chambering a round, the hammer either accidentally releases or the firing pin happens to move forward under it's own inertia, and a round is discharged accidentally

Very rare thing in most assault rifles, providing you don't have the trigger depressed when chambering a round. Except on the AR15/M16 family of rifles, where it is considered almost normal to, if a round is chambered and then ejected without being fired, find light indentations in the primer. It's usually not too much of an issue on military ammo (which uses relatively "hard" primers), but civvies using civvie ammo have been known to have problems with certain brands of ammo, or certain primers in the case of reloaders

All in all, a massive design flaw that can cause ADs, through no fault of the soldier who is loading the weapon

Comment

Forgive me for saying it, but thats a bit thick.

Comment

If you mean 'someone in the design department screwed up', then yes. Slamfires were rare enough with the M-16 that the problem never really came to note. There was something of a run of them on the M-4 in the last couple of year, however, enough to have an advisory sent aroud. Don't know if the Army are going to bother fixing it.

NTM

Comment

Its alright Goldie..put in laymans terms ..its like leving the magazine in a gustav and the cocking lever not in the slot...ad or nd...its a muppets thing !
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

God bless that weapon! and it's wax bullet training rounds
                          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                          X