X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AATWT
    Has anyone heard of "God loves a trier"
    But he hates a chancer
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by AATWT
      Has anyone heard of" If first you don't succeed then try,try again" and "God loves a trier"
      Yes. Knew one guy like that. Got fcuked out of his first platoon because the pln sgt thought he wasn't up to scratch. Man came back next year and passed out no problem. Still serving and an excellent soldier.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
        Yes. Knew one guy like that. Got fcuked out of his first platoon because the pln sgt thought he wasn't up to scratch. Man came back next year and passed out no problem. Still serving and an excellent soldier.

Does the Platoon sergeant have final say in who gets in or not? Pardon my ignorance but I would have thought he would only be able to recommend certain actions to the Pln Commander and he would then decide.
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Has anybody thought what it would be like if people were conscripted into the army like they did years ago in the UK with national service?

Most' if not all' European countrys have national service and amoung all those recruits you are going to find a mixed bunch of all sorts of guys .

The difference being is that the conscripted guy knows he only has to play the game for a few months ,keep his nose clean, and then he will most likely have an easy life cos his NCO's and Officers are also looking at the same objective,and that is to get tru their national service as quickly as possible (without having to thread all over everybody)

The really desperate guys will either go AWOL or do their best to get thrown out, and wont give to hoots about others opinions on their actions (if there are any).
          it has always being the military way.

.How many american students avoided the draft and went to canada to avoid Vietnam ? thousends .

They were called cowards , when in fact most of them had moral objections to the war.

How many 'Grunts' came back from the same war to be called 'Baby killers' ? thousends.

'' Dammed if you went, and Dammed if you didn't.''

Some men went without a second thought , as they still do in going to Iraq today.

I dont see how failing your recruit training means you should carry the burden of 'failure' tru the rest of your life but also , any military training is good to have done as opposed to none at all.
          Last edited by haribo; 2 May 2006, 01:15.

Comment

Hi Haribo,
            I think you'll find that there is a great deal of opposition to conscription in many EU countries and the recruitment system allows/tolerates a great deal of latitude in avoiding military service.I have talked to persons who had to carry out their service upon becoming 18 and very few welcomed it because it kept them out of college/job for a year or two.Many became quite artful in conjuring up reasons to avoid service.In some countries, if a person wants to avoid military service, they can elect to carry out public service instead (eg; medical students can promise to give an extra year to the NHS rather than private medicine) or they can have their degree part-subsidised by the Military if they return a year's service afterwards. Some poeple even do overseas aid work as a substitute. Although, I met one guy, a Belgian Regular, who hated the short-service people because they had no sense of duty to their country, hated the Military, hated Regulars and constantly wasted and vegged rather than muck in and work.
            personally, I wouldn't want anything other than a volunteer army, except in wartime or in the event of a national emergency.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

I dont see how failing your recruit training means you should carry the burden of 'failure' tru the rest of your life
              Lets break it donw to its simplest form

you tried- you failed therefore your a failure

Those who tried and succeded are winners

This is what we should be instilling in our Soldiers- that your a winner because you tried something hard and you percerviered and succeded

thats what a Soldier does- overcomes obstacles and wins

if you dont your a failure- why are we even wasting time defending the likes of el snot rag who claimed "me head was wrecked"

If you fail and then subsequently suceed then your back in the winners enclosure

Grasshopper was a failure now she is a winner because she is back in and hopefully doing well

AAWT you were a failure and a pansy and now your back in the winners enclosure and no longer a pansey

its simple really
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Hi all
                There you go, it's either shit or burst with Hedgehog! No half measures here,pal. Couldn't agree more, as it happens. If you can't take a bit of grief early on, you're no good to the Army. heaven help the poor wuzzums if he had to do "Scratch".
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Personally I think it would be worse to have not tried than to have tried and failed. Any time I was in any sort of important game for a sport, the main point the trainers always made was "No regrets", dont go out there half hearted, do your best and if its not good enough, its not good enough, but dont walk away from something wihtout trying.
                  Thats why I took the decision to join the RDF, I dont want to look back in years and say I didnt try it and regret that. If I dont make it, I dont make it. I wont have been good enough and I will accept that, I'm going to do my best to make sure I am though.

About the recruits that failed on this programme. The ones that had fair reasons, injury, family problems- no criticism can be levelad at them.
                  Those that failed because they werent good enough, they should accept that and move on, if they re-apply and pass, then they deserve respect for having the balls to try again.
                  About Mr "My head was wrecked" Fool, I think his choice of phrase said it all. He's an embarrasement to the country and Mister Hand should meet Mister Back of Head in his regard. He doent even really warrant conversation.

I'll respect any-one who, understanding what they were in store for, stepped up to the plate and gave recruit training a go, pass or fail. God knows I'd calf fairly quickly if I tried. I'l respect those who pass more though.

The producer of the show was on Radio 1 this morning and he admitted that the training had to be tough and the way it was for the job the recruits were going into.
                  courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by haribo

I dont see how failing your recruit training means you should carry the burden of 'failure' tru the rest of your life but also , any military training is good to have done as opposed to none at all.

I think what i was saying about the above quote was that some guys will be honest and say the couldent cut the mustard in recruit training, and failed but were successfull in other careers .Otherwise i agree completely with everyone here.

Some guys are born lazy with the 'cant be bothered mentality' and complete wasters .

Comment

Lets break it donw to its simplest form

you tried- you failed therefore your a failure
                      In order not to hurt anyone's feelings we should refer to it as deferred success.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Outline for me exactly how many of the 10500 PDF being paid by YOUR taxes would you like to be sub-standard ?

Just a general question, not aimed at anyone in particular.
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

At least 5%, makes the rest of them look good and they all can bond over giving out about them. Therefore a more happy DF.

Comment

Outline for me exactly how many of the 10500 PDF being paid by YOUR taxes would you like to be sub-standard ?

Just a general question, not aimed at anyone in particular.
                            Surely thats a question that should be aimed at a general

Comment

In cannot belive the degree of moaning about recruit training. I still reckon it was amongts the best time I spent in the DF.Best crack..made some life long friends..and proved to myself I could do things that people would normally walk away from.

there was no media intereference......you basically had minimal human rights..but you just got on with it...moan amongst your mates..unless you want to make yourself a traget.

I accept its not for everybody..if your not up to it be honest to say its not for you..don't balme the system or those who run it.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Best crack..made some life long friends..and proved to myself I could do things that people would normally walk away from.
                                if your not up to it be honest to say its not for you..don't balme the system or those who run it.
                                My point exactly but more elequently put

it really was a great time-

during Recruit training it really was shite

but wiith rose tinted glasses i really enjoyed it and cant beleive some of the things that

I did

that were done to me

that i seen done

Comment

Working...
                                X