comissioning from the ranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comissioning from the ranks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Competition for soldiers to become officers
    Frank McNally

Non-commissioned soldiers will have a more chances of attaining officer rank following a decision by Minister for Defence Willie O'Dea to establish regular promotion competitions.

Mr O'Dea announced that a Commissioning From the Ranks competition would be held this year - the first in almost five years - and its outcome would decide his approach to future competitions.

A spokeswoman for the Minister said it was a question of "how often" rather than whether further competitions would be held. Mr O'Dea hoped the move would dispel perceptions of a "glass ceiling" to promotion in the Defence Forces.

The soldiers' representative body Pdforra welcomed the "long-awaited decision" to regularise commissioning from the ranks, which until now has been done on an ad-hoc basis.

Deputy general secretary Simon Devereux said there was no valid reason why anyone who joined the Defence Forces as a recruit could not go "to the very top of the organisation, provided they have what it takes to do so". It was "totally unacceptable" that for several years no enlisted person had an opportunity to apply for officer rank.

© The Irish Times 06.05.2006

Ok For those like me who are used to this in the rdf. Is there a different system for the pdf. How does the whole process work. Is there extra training involved and if so is it equivelant to a cadetship?
    Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

It was "totally unacceptable" that for several years no enlisted person had an opportunity to apply for officer rank.
    Haven't a fair few former enlisted people been selected for cadetships in recent years?
    With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

Have met a few officers who have come up like this but had a glass celling of Cmdt.
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Competition for soldiers to become officers
        They can blow it out their tubes

There is no way I am lowering my standards of professionalism

just to wear a peak cap and sam browne belt
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog
          They can blow it out their tubes

There is no way I am lowering my standards of professionalism

just to wear a peak cap and sam browne belt
          Unless you become a Major!!!

Comment

Originally posted by happenin
            Ok For those like me who are used to this in the rdf. Is there a different system for the pdf. How does the whole process work. Is there extra training involved and if so is it equivelant to a cadetship?
            For several years now the only way for other ranks to become ossifers was to apply for the cadetship the same way as a civvy would, with the obvious advantage of having a percentage bonus and some knowledge of what the army is like. Now a potential officers course is being run, which operates in a similar manner to the RDF officers course.
            Originally posted by Odin_ie
            Unless you become a Major!!!
            You mean a Sgt Major?

Comment

Obviously I did Barry...no need to be a smart arse all your life now is there??

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
                Now a potential officers course is being run, which operates in a similar manner to the RDF officers course.
                Potential Officers Courses have been run for years. You ahd to be an NCO and under age 32 to qualify.
                The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Will there be a big uptake of this within the ranks??And will there be a glass celling

Comment

Thats what i was thinking alright barry. Thanks for clearing that up.
                    Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

I think any means that would open up opportunities for non-coms to be commissioned would be an improvement. When I was in two people from my batt were sent on potential officwers courses , one deserved it and the other well by some coincidence he was married to a Comdts daughter and was as not a particularly good soldier. Just look at teh names of those pasing out.. its an old boys club.
                      There apperas to be a considerable degree of nepotism involved. What percentage of cadets( less the zambians) are sons , daughters etc of serving or former officers. How many view it as simply a way to get a degree paid for etc ,
                      In recent yeARS I have worked with a number of people who have come through the ranks, One full Col,s BA three former majors , and all but one were Irish. I have also worked with a former Comdt. (I was his boss) who could not get over the fact that I was a former NCO, who had left worked , gone back to college am well qualified .. He was still stuck in the days of the Raj, Officers and their ladies, Men and their women etc. His contract was not renewed.
                      So to keep it short make it compulsory for all potential cadets to spend a year in the ramks before going anywhere and bring in the French or someone else to select cadets.

MOD: Names removed to protect the innocent.

Comment

In the royal marines officers and non enlisted men all do the same basic training.
                        WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

Hi all
                          Bandit, nepotism exists at all levels in the PDF.There is no shortage of brothers of brothers, sons of, cousins of,etc. How often do you see photos in the Cosantoir of extended families in uniform. There's even been twins getting commissioned! The Army is just a microcosm of the population it exists in and the sad fact is that family ties are held in higher regard than actual merit.
                          regards
                          GttC

Comment

Working...
                          X