RDF - Summer Break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF - Summer Break

I hear there are no parades for the Summer. Can anyone tell me what date they usually finish? Thanks.

Generally speaking, most units finish parading after annual camp, and start again around September. The length of the break is determined by the unit concerned. Specifics for any unit as to either dates for camp or dates to start parading again are operational information, and as such are not to be discussed here.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
      ...not to be discussed here.
      I understand, thank you.

Comment

you will probably finsh after camp. you will get a letter from the unit telling you when to return to training.
        The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
        They were wrong.

Comment

The whole idea of the army reserve taking a break is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua
            The whole idea of the army reserve taking a break is laughable.
            As laughable as an Air Corps that has to call Britain if they want an airliner intercepted?

Comment

Yes, but that would be for another part of the board.

Comment

why so, Joshua?

people give up their free time for little reward/recognition, surely its fair enough to allow them a liitle time to themselves/their families/partners?

Comment

In a voluntary organisation, you have the choice to take whatever time you want to spend with your families/partners.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The summer break in the FCA always botherd me for some reason..
                    You come back from camp, all fired up, having finally achived something in your 17 years...and what do they do? : pat you on the head and send you off for an, up to, 6 weeks break..
                    I bet most of the people the service looses after camp is down to this break.
                    The solution is neither difficult, or expensive, various lessons can be taught, which are suited to the great outdoors, which need not involve wepons, no one has to think very long to come up with a list of subjects , all suitable for soldiers to learn, which might not be possable to fit into camp, but cannot really be done during the long winter nights.
                    Orienteering, fieldcraft, rockclimbing, absailing, even a evening at a gunclub, feck even an evening at a gym, or at a self defence class, it is not a hard thing to do.
                    The snag is , I belive they tried to do that in a unit a few years ago, but it was frowned upon by the higher ups.
                    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The same thing happens in a lot of CD units, ie ceasing training for a couple of months during the Summer. In my unit we don't, as the summer months give the best training opportunities, particularly in the evenings, when the daylight means a couple of hours of outdoor training are viable. We usually break for a few weeks around Christmas.

At the same time, we recognise that people have lives to live, and stuff to do, so the higher level of absenteeism during the summer months is something we're happy to put up with.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldemboots!
                        Should be more brigade run courses during the summer for those who have the time to do them.
                        Which would be highly beneficial for lazy students (like myself) who use their RDF commitments as an excuse not to get a summer job, and thus spend the RDF summer break sitting around their house growing a very dodgy excuse for a beard.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
                          Which would be highly beneficial for lazy students (like myself) who use their RDF commitments as an excuse not to get a summer job, and thus spend the RDF summer break sitting around their house growing a very dodgy excuse for a beard.

And I thought I was the only one.
                          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

The summer break is a bit of a joke in that you lose momentum built up over the year, especially with recruits, who after their recruit training , are usually full of interest ,then take a 6 - 8 week break, forget what they have learned, get a place in college and never come back, because they feel they have fallen behind.

[Commas by MOD ]
                            "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Don't know about you guys but the summer brak in my unit has jumped from 3/4 months 10 years ago to barely 2/3 weeks at the mo. This year may may see us getting no break at all. Xmas has taken over as the long holiday now.

Comment

Working...
                              X