Artillery question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    That's a FACE car. 'taint an Acmat. It's a pickup truck with a body covering the back of it. The make of vehicle escapes my mind at the moment too.
    was it a toyota??? the one on camp this year and it had a douglas conopy on it
    Last edited by turbocalves; 1 February 2007, 22:10.
    But there's no danger
    It's a professional career
    Though it could be arranged
    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
    If you're out of luck you're out of work
    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Toyota, that's the one

Comment

Its a soft top landrover, there is a picture of one in the Irish Military vechiles book. Also seen a picture of something similiar from a friend, and it is a landrover
        Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
        http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          Is it not an Acmat command vehicle
          No, the one I'm thinking of is smaller than an ACMAT.

Its a soft top landrover, there is a picture of one in the Irish Military
          vehicles book. Also seen a picture of something similiar from a friend, and it
          is a landrover
          Not a Land Rover - not in service anymore.

do they not have a duro?
          This is smaller. It could be (as the boys suggested) be a Toyota or Hilux or
          something like that.
          As far as I know, there are only Duros with the LSB's at the min. Last time I saw
          one, it had a 2 LSB badge on it. Even at that, I don't know if there are that many
          in service.
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The FACE vehicle in the picture is a Land Rover.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              The FACE vehicle in the picture is a Land Rover.
              The (former) FACE cars that are currently in service most definitely are not Land Rovers. That is what is being discussed here. They are Toyotas.

Comment

The Pickups used by the Army are by Izusu.

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Some photos of a DF Oddity, the Isuzu Crew cab, taken by Gunner. I think the Plate is for Base Workshops.

The Mowag Duro is used by ordnance.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The Pickups used by the Army are by Izusu.
                  Theres also some nissan pickups, I spotted one in the glen last summer.
                  Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Navarra?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Navarra?
                      No, It was a bit smaller and crappier.
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

How do you like these apples!!!

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003426.html

http://www.ws-wr.com/epk/BAE_PGK/?CF...TOKEN=80270472

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

I get the impression that they only correct for errors in range.
                          It looks like the round is fired to slightly overshoot the target and the canards
                          deploy at a suitable time to slow down the round enough to fall on the target.
                          I don't think that it can do anything to correct line.
                          They would eliminate errors in MV and a certain amount of MET though.
                          Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Dont know. If the canards are individually adjustable, the rate of spin and axisymmetric air flow over the control surfaces could provide yaw in the required direction. Could enable the round to offer some course correction
                            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Looking at it again, they do make some effort to correct for line.
                              The canards themselves are not individually adjustable but there are 3 sets.
                              What is adjustable is the timing of when each set is opened.
                              The function of one of the sets is to slow down the spin of the round. If the round
                              spins more slowly, it will not tend to drift to the right as much.

If you run the video clip showing when each set deploys, you will see the
                              probable error of the round towards the end of the video.

The outer ellipse shows the probable error for an uncorrected round.
                              The range error is significantly larger than the line error.
                              The inner error show the probable error using the guidance system.
                              The range error has been greatly reduced and the line error has
                              been slightly reduced.
                              Attached Files
                              Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Just asking what might be a stupid question, but being Australian I do not have a great knowledge of the Irish Army, but does they still use 25 Pounders. If so how do they get rounds for them ?

Comment

Working...
                                X