No announcement yet.

Artillery question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes they are still in service with some RDF units. the ammo was bought from Pakistan. AFAIK
    The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
    They were wrong.

Comment

Due to be retired this year (but where have we heard that before?)

Comment

Yes, Pakistan are still making 25 pounder ammo and are quite happy to still have
        someone who wants to buy it from them.

Rumours of the 25 prs being retired have become an annual event at this stage.
        When it comes to economics though, the 25 prs represent a cost effective way of exercising a battery. The setup, command and control and logistics are all much the same as when using 105s. The only difference the OP would notice (apart from the smoke disappearing quickly on a windy day) is that they don't have a high angle option. Really, the only people significantly affected are the gun crews who have a slightly easier time when putting the gun into and out of action.

The guns themselves are of course over 60 years old and spare parts are few and far between so it will only be a matter of time before their retirement is forced upon us, though in terms of EFCs of barrel life, they are only babies.
        Not many other weapons have been so simple, reliable and effective to have endured 60 years of army treatment. They represent a valuable training asset. Indeed, there are many in the British forces who are envious that we are still firing them.
        Last edited by FMolloy; 22 April 2007, 17:02.
        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Hi there
          Whats an EFC,then? How are artillery barrels rated, in terms of life? Is it number of rounds fired or size of charge or calendar life?
          regards
          GttC

Comment

EFC stands for Equivalent Full Charges. This is the number of rounds fired at the highest charge that the barrel will/should/could (depending on what you're talking about) withstand before having to be replaced. Naturally, rounds fired at a lower charge only count as a fraction of a full charge. Gun barrel life is rated in EFCs. It doesn't take a genius to work out that the 25 Pdrs are only firing a single digit of EFCs per gun per year, and as such are good for an awfully long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
              Yes, Pakistan are still making 25 pounder ammo and are quite happy to still have
              someone who wants to buy it from them.....
              AFAIK, that's where the 0.303 in ammo for the Bren was coming from aswell
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

hi there
                The .303 Bren (Ball, Mark VIIZ) rounds I fired in 1987 were manufactured by Kynoch of Scotland.Possibly the last of the ex British stocks?
                regards
                GttC

Comment

I fired the bren about two years ago right before they were decommissioned from the RDF, i think the ammo came from BAE Systems. Not quite sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Komsomol View Post
                    I fired the bren about two years ago right before they were decommissioned from the RDF, i think the ammo came from BAE Systems. Not quite sure.
                    the bren has been de-commissioned from the RDF???
                    How come I fired it last halloween at it was fired at the battalion shooting competition then.
                    Its a good idea to get rid of it, but jesus, it is a lovely weapon to fire so i'll miss firing it if they do ever get rid of it for good.
                    courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Have you come from the future?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I, i think the ammo came from BAE Systems. Not quite sure.
                        do they not make aeroplanes?
                        But there's no danger
                        It's a professional career
                        Though it could be arranged
                        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                        If you're out of luck you're out of work
                        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

They make lots of things. Hence the "Systems" in the name.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                            do they not make aeroplanes?
                            They make everything: ships, planes, tanks, guns... There has been a lot of consolidation in the arms industry worldwide. BAe now own many familiar military brands, including Bofors for example..

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was "officially" de-commissioned from the RDF.

But then again what does this sandbagger know.

Comment

Since when has a .303 round or a Bren been used as an Artillery piece?
                                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                                X