Time Commitment to the RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Commitment to the RDF

Mod: Thread Spilt from RDFRA thread. We are going to keep it civil, arent we?

Its not about equipment..its about people and rewaerd for whats expected of them.Next time you have to juggle the commitment of a home life..a job...holidays..along with a contractual commitmnet...free of charge without any renumeration...let us know. two possiblities two this..a now life single dole mole with no social life or family...or a student...both add up to one thing..exactly what the minister wanted..

enjoy your new found interests...

just think of how many other guys will have to walk away from the reserve because they are not in a position to offer the same commitment as you!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Well said Murph, Over the years I have seen people come in and complain about Equip ect, And then go on about how we should be off every w/end training with scant regard for the members with family's, who just on an odd w/end would like to be with their wife and children, to be honest, how/why my wife put up with it, I will never know, and all this was done by the majority of people who never intended to stay very long anyway. I am sorry you are taking a back seat now Murp, as more than ever the Reserve needs people like you.
    it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
    Winston churchill

Comment

my but there are a lot of whinging cynics out there [ self praise is no praise, I know ] . This is an RDFRA thread not a quality-of-life thread.

RDF is a voluntary organisation; if you don't like it leave
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
        RDF is a voluntary organisation; if you don't like it leave
        He makes a good point. Just because there is a weekend on doesn't mean you have to go. If you accept a PNCO or standards course, or get commissioned, and you know that you won't be able to commit enough time to do your new job properly, that's a problem with you not being able to stand up and say "No, I won't take the rank, I can't give enough time to do it properly", not a problem with the RDF or the RDFRA.

Though Laoch, you should realise that while your Corps has great relations with their PDF parent units, most units aren't as lucky, and many Infantry Bns have to beg and plead for resources.

Comment

I need no lectures on commitment or if or when I should leave from anyone here, that's not for anyone on this board to decide, I have A 100% record on commitment, And that's not self praise, Simply a fact, Murph was stating the obvious, I have seen single members get promoted, been full of enthusiasm, Then get married/meet a partner and simply fade away due to over commitment to a voluntarily organisation, and of course pressure from a partner.
          it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
          Winston churchill

Comment

Having given up holiadys..annual levae etc...for more years than guys have had birthdays..some are entitled to heard on the issue.they have been undersold by their representitive organisation..in fact ignored and handed second class status even though they may be far better soldiers than those who chose to continue to fall in line.

i wonder how some of our PDF colleagues would feel if they were to supply the same services FOC...but then again they did before the minister was forced to see them in a different light.

To BT..thanks for the kindness..but as was stated in Michael Collins the movie..my only weapon is my refusal.....and when questioned..my reasons for my refusal!l
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
              He makes a good point. Just because there is a weekend on doesn't mean you have to go. If you accept a PNCO or standards course, or get commissioned, and you know that you won't be able to commit enough time to do your new job properly, that's a problem with you not being able to stand up and say "No, I won't take the rank, I can't give enough time to do it properly", not a problem with the RDF or the RDFRA.

Though Laoch, you should realise that while your Corps has great relations with their PDF parent units, most units aren't as lucky, and many Infantry Bns have to beg and plead for resources.
              How dare you lecture people on their commitment?

Come back when you have either of the following.

A Job.

A Family

A Girlfriend/wife

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish

A Job.

A Family

A Girlfriend/wife
                Barry makes a very good point, why commit to a voluntary organisation if you do not have the time to attend?
                I have all three of your 'requirments' and I still have managed to make nearly every hour the RDF has asked of me when I've been in the country. If you cannot spare a 3 hours per week and 2 weeks per year to attend, once more, a voluntary organisation, then maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities.
                "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Obviously you haven't been made aware of the increased commitmnet under the re org..no longer as simple as described.

Comment

I have, and that won't come in for 6 months at least. That should be enough time to decide where your priorities lie.

Comment

My priorities will ALWAYS lie with my family and my career first. Anyone who has the RDF before them needs to reevaluate their life.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Ditto

Comment

My priorities will ALWAYS lie with my family and my career first. Anyone who has the RDF before them needs to reevaluate their life.

or they need to go and join the pdf, i know of one person who does put rdf ahead of everything thing else, guesses in a pm, first right answer, €10 to preferrred charity!
                          The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

long time listener..first time caller (well since ultraboard anyway).glad this thread was split as its an important topic.
                            i see there are 2 camps in this thread and having looked at the profiles of those involved i see they can be broken into 2 groups - those under 30 and those over 30 (just an observation).
                            when i was 24 - i had all the criteria mentioned by Goldie, and was able to give the rdf (then FCA) all the time they wanted. 10 years later my priorities have changed - to the person who mentioned about 're-evaluation of our priorities' - thats what life is all about. i have no doubt that my priorites will have changed again in 10 years time.
                            i felt as you did about the older Nco's and officers, hindsight is 20/20, im sure some of the lads in my unit now say the same about me at times.

i agree with murphs point - its not about equipment, its about people- and we seem to be forgetting that, (again just an observation). i have seen friends who have given 30 years to the fca completely sidelined in the re-org, call it what you like (progress etc) it is still a bitter pill to swallow. will they ever give the same commitment again ..im afraid not!! the reserve was always built on good will ... something i dont see a lot of these days..sad but true.

im sure it will all work out in the end, i just hope we dont lose to many people in the process.
                            mods..apologies if i went of topic at any stage.

Comment

A Job.

A Family

A Girlfriend/wife
                              i heard this response to goldie on chat there a short while ago, i also insist it is not my view or opinion, the person just wanted to remain anonymous

Originally posted by ANON
                              And goldie can chow down on my bollocks for all I care, if you can't commit the time you shouldn't join the RDF, never mind go on career courses
                              The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Working...
                              X