Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMG

Hi all
    I'd never heard of the MMG before reading this thread. Have there been any issued and what were the circumstances?
    regards
    GttC

The 1st--- 2nd Class Military Medal for Gallentry(Distinction} was issued to Trooper Anthony Browne BMC-Niemba (postumesly)
    The 2nd --- 2nd Class Military Medal for Gallentry(Distinction) was issued to Captain Adrian Ainsworth BMC-Lebanon.

The 1st Class MMG (BMC) with Honour has never been issued.

Military Medal for Gallentry or An Bonn Mileata Calmachta in Irish

Comment

Hi all
      So what did the abovementioned captain do to win this award? Assuming he's still alive, he'd be the most uniquely decorated soldier in the DF.
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Originally posted by goc132
        The 1st--- 2nd Class Military Medal for Gallentry(Distinction} was issued to Trooper Anthony Browne BMC-Niemba (postumesly)
        The 2nd --- 2nd Class Military Medal for Gallentry(Distinction) was issued to Captain Adrian Ainsworth BMC-Lebanon.

The 1st Class MMG (BMC) with Honour has never been issued.

Military Medal for Gallentry or An Bonn Mileata Calmachta in Irish
        I know an Irish medal collector who some years back, offered Trooper Browne's family over 22k (old pounds) with a written guanantee that it would never leave this country, They turned it down.
        it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
        Winston churchill

Comment

There have been more than 2 issues of this medal, for example Lt T. Bracken also won the MMG during an action in At Tiri, S Lebanon...............OSOK

Comment

Rank/Name
            Class
            Remarks

Tpr Anthony Browne
            2nd
            Niemba Ambush, Congo

Capt Adrian Ainsworth
            2nd
            At Tiri, Lebanon

Lt Anthony Bracken
            2nd
            At Tiri, Lebanon

Cpl Michael Jones
            2nd
            At Tiri, Lebanon

Pte Michael John Daly
            2nd
            At Tiri, Lebanon

Comdt Michael Lynch
            2nd
            Beirut, Lebanon

Pte Thomas Metcalf
            3rd
            Portlaoise Prison

Use the search function.....................OSOK

Comment

MMG has been instituted in 1944 and very few were issued

Comment

Hi all
                So what happened at At Tiri? Before anyone says "Google Search", I've already tried and all I get is tourist shite,so...?
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Comment

The most recent receipient that I can think of is a fella called Paul Coventry.
                    He was at the time a Pte in 29 Inf Bn (think it was around 1995 or so). During a
                    firefight in the 'Leb, he ran under heavy fire to render first aid to a wounded GPMG
                    gunner. Can't remember the full details, but there was an article on it in An Cosantóir.
                    They're currently boxed up pending a move, so can't dig it out at this time.
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
                      Hi all
                      So what happened at At Tiri? Before anyone says "Google Search", I've already tried and all I get is tourist shite,so...?
                      regards
                      GttC
                      For At-Tiri? Tourist s****? How times have changed.
                      The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                      (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

At Tiri? Before anyone says "Google Search", I've already tried and all I get is tourist shite,so...?
                        I spent a lot of time in At Tiri

and i still cant figure out what could be a tourist attraction

unless that world famous cross roads is high on UNESCO heritage sites
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

There was some fine examples of ancient roadways there if I remember correctly.
                          Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
                          Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

Hi all
                            Thanks for the replies. At Tiri must have been a hell of an event, especially for the casualties and those forced to give up their posts. The urge to fire on some the enemy scum must have been overwhelming. Using kids as shields? Christ. Why does the UN always come out of such events as sounding spineless? Where was the back-up for those isolated posts?
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

The back up was the AML90 that brought the issue to a close.
                              the now famous only time an AML 90 used its main weapon in anger.

Aml 90 1 Half track nil...
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X