This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Ranger Wing

They are obviously a highly trained unit that operate behind closed doors in the sense, but how active are they? We are a neutral country so are they used? Obviously details can't be said but are they used really as an aggresive unit? Would anyone be able to give an EXAMPLE of one of there missions.

Does anyone use google anymore?

The Army is organised on conventional military lines providing a sufficiently flexible structure to carry out all the roles assigned by Government. The Army is a standing force and provides the primary capabilities for joint military operations at home and combined military Peace Support Operations abroad.

Comment

arw

yes kermit i'm well aware of the irish df site and the arw section I was looking for someone to actually tell me a specific task they've done or an example of one, not there roles.

Comment

Look it's very simple. If you can't find what you're looking for on the web, then that information is probably not in the public domain.
        The ARW are a very security conscious part of the DF, and operational details are not publicised.
        Don't be expecting to find out any secrets on this forum.

Comment

Understood, I was just curious.

Comment

I just gave you a list of tasks they do, if you want an example, they were the first out to East Timor

Comment

True or untrue stories of the ARW!

Urban legends of the ARW.
              I know of one story that was doing the rounds of a certain barracks along the border with Nothern Ireland.
              I do not know how true this "urban legend" is but it seems quite plausable, anyway it goes like this one day at about 8 o' clock in the evening a tramp turns up at the gates of this barracks looking very scruffy and very smelly, you know the kind of tramp that hasn't washed and cleaned himself for months.
              Well the gateman looked at the fellow with awe and wonder, thinking to himself what could this chap want?
              The gateman being a polite fellow and doing his job asked the tramp what he wanted, to which the tramp replied that he needed to see the duty officer, the gateman thinking to himself himm....... quite strange, would have none of it and tried to get the tramp to go away.
              After a few minutes of asking to see the duty officer the tramp explained to the gateman that he really had to see the duty officer, so the gateman phoned over for the officer to come out and see tramp.
              After some silent explaining and hand gestures to the officer, the tramp was allowed into the barracks, leaving the gateman scratching his head to say the least.
              The nice tramp was given a hot meal a shower and shave and transport was arranged to collect tramp and take hime away?
              Anyway a few days later after some soldier porkies in the mess answers started to fall into place, it was discovered that the tramp was in fact a member of the ARW and had been going around to certain bars in the town in the guise of a tramp for months collecting intelligence on certain visitors to these establishments.
              Could this story be true it may well be? Who knows I for one would like to believe that it is true just to add one more story to the Ranger legend!

Comment

That story makes no sense... If he was trying to collect info, surely a tramp would be more conspicuous than a normal person?

Comment

yeah, who'd let a tramp into a pub...

Comment

they let dubs in don't they:D

Comment

Ok then a scruffy person!

To be politically correct I have decided to rename the tramp as a very scruffy fellow, hope this resolves the issue!

Comment

A while back a contributor to one of the earlier incarnations of this board said that he had been listening to a programme on BBC Radio (Four I think). It was about countries that spy on the British. Ireland got a mention. The story was that some ARW types were North of the Border, watching a B.A. barracks and they were rumbled. There was a dash for the Border with the boys being chased by British Security Forces (thinking they were I.R.A.). The got away with it apparently.

Make of that what you will.
                        Last edited by Guest; 15 May 2003, 14:24.

Comment

The ARW are Extrememly Secretive (as should be ) I remember doing the Gaisce Years ago and they took all our camera's off us up in Varty resevoir near Glendalough :(
                          Another Time 2 of them Came out with our unit to do some Patrol base Fieldcraft. A Sgt and a Cpl. They told us not to call any of them by rank or any of our officers or nco's by rank (which went down well with the LT and sarge!) We were going around with "Dave" a former member of our unit and "Mickey" (a Corkman). While waiting in an OP Mickey told us a story about them doing an exercise and checking out two guys in a parked car in the middle of nowhere who happened to be IRA planning to move an arms cache. They listened to the whole conversation and reported to the Gards, who promptly raided the Cache!! could be an urban legend but you don't really doubt the word of the meanest son of a bitch you've ever seen!! Especially as this was 1998 and he was in the "DPM's" we all have now and no one else had even seen them!!

Don't be suprised if This Kind of Thing (Intelligence Gathering) didn't go on all during the 80's and 90's (and probably still does)

Last edited by Bailer; 15 May 2003, 14:29.
                          Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

A guy I know was on one of those Gaisce things with the ARW. Out in the woods one morning and he didn't want to get up out of is sleeping bag. They dragged him by the ankles through the woods until he was sufficiently awake. Serves the lazy bastard right.

I think he got a bronze medal. He said he didn't want to know what he would have had to have done to get the gold.

Comment

All that we can say is that the ARWs secretive nature is a sure sign of their professionalism and eliteness. We don't know much about them, but there out there, doing stuff we'll probably never even hear about.

Do ye think that they are really ranked one of the best special forces units in Europe or is that 'Sunday World' exageration (Given that we don't hear enough about them to rate them)?
                              Courage is being scared to death, but saddlin'up anyway - John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X