Rumours of a new rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darksaga
    Im just glad we dont have the misfortune of using the SA80.
    I was quite impressed by the L85A2.

Combine that with the auto/semi selector system of the AUG, and you have a winner.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker
      Its a bit heavy but none the less its a good weapon.

Comment

exactly

Im just glad we dont have the misfortune of using the SA80.
        Me too the original brit made S.A. 80 was a piece of shit no soldier should ever have to suffer.
        In fact when it first appeared on the scene the brits were screaming to get their FNs back. However it is no longer the S.A.80 but the L85 A2. some may ask "well what the hell is the difference other than name".
        and so you should be because its now produced by none other than that great company (who's new rifle is the subject matter of the thread) H&K and so it works like a charm.
        Its a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by piper_69
          All of the forces got equipped?
          Last I heard most RDF units only had about xxx rifles per battalion.

That may explain the limit on numbers for the easter parade.
          Or perhaps the minister was saving money to buy loads of pegs, rubber bands and 4x2.
          I know that this isnt ment to be up for disscussion but it is an idea that has entered my head before. But im proably wrong so..........

Comment

Originally posted by mutter nutter
            just my opinion, for the nothing it's worth, but maybe this thread has outlived it's usefullness?, I think most here agree, it's a non starter
            Motion seconded. This will not happen for a number of years, IMO. Was talking to an armourer once a long time ago about the possibility of the Minimi arriving, the jist of his reply was not while there are plenty of MAGs will a few miles left in them. No chance of the Steyr being replaced in the foreseeable, so. And, TBH, no real need either.
            My €0.02.

Comment

That is true no need to replace it.

But perhaps if sufficent numbers of AUG A1's have not yet been obtained to fully equip the reserve and the DOD does not want to to buy them from malaysia due to the quality thing they may be looking into buying A2's for some PDF units and handing their A1's to the reserve.

I know its unlikely but its the only half reasonable reason for this kind of rumour I can think of.
              "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Parts
                Was talking to an armourer once a long time ago about the possibility of the Minimi arriving, the jist of his reply was not while there are plenty of MAGs will a few miles left in them.
                There is a group within the army currently looking at replacing the MAGs but the general feeling is that they want to retain the power of the 7.62 round.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle
                  There is a group within the army currently looking at replacing the MAGs but the general feeling is that they want to retain the power of the 7.62 round.
                  That general feeling is held by many military forces around the world.

In the Irish Defence Forces the Steyr AUG was selected after more than two years of exhaustive technical assessment by the Army Ordinance Corps and field trials by units throughout the Defence Forces, to replace the FN FAL that had been in use since the early Sixties Initially a total of nine weapons (Beretta AR70/90, the Colt M16A2, the Enfield L85A1, the FN FNC, the HK G41, the IMI Galil, the FAMAS, the SIG SG550, and the Steyr AUG) from various countries were evaluated technically in firing trials, each firing thousands of rounds while their accuracy and reliability were gauged. Deliveries of the Steyr AUG to the Irish Defence Forces began in 1988. Today the Steyr is the primary infantry weapon of the Permanent & Reserve elements of Ireland's military forces, although it was not introduced into the Reserve Defence Force until 2001.
                  Last edited by DeV; 20 June 2006, 17:51.

Comment

Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Well you did say new rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by G-2
                        Me too the original brit made S.A. 80 was a piece of shit no soldier should ever have to suffer.
                        In fact when it first appeared on the scene the brits were screaming to get their FNs back. However it is no longer the S.A.80 but the L85 A2. some may ask "well what the hell is the difference other than name".

and so you should be because its now produced by none other than that great company (who's new rifle is the subject matter of the thread) H&K and so it works like a charm.
                        Took good ol' Teutonic efficiency to sort the problems out then...
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

as far as i know the malasians are no longer producing Aug, some problem with styer removing the lisence the malasians are now going to produce M4s and re equip there forces, the new rifle thing sounds like the work of the DFs most active unit the ARW Army rumor wing
                          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle
                            Report in the paper last week stating that the DF is in the process of purchasing X amount of new MAGS.
                            The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                            (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

In fairness, there is no alternative to the MAG out there, apart from modified versions of it.
                              I don't think there is a superior 7.62x51mm General purpose machine gun out there.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

new rifle I hope not

Agree with last ..
                                The Mag is one of the best ,,if not the best, These 5.56 SECTION WEAPONS are only as good for an enhanced individual weapon.. But to be honest its hard to beat a folding butt FN as an individual weapon with a mag as a section weapon or better still three or four of them on a Land/rover/cruiser but I guess thats going back in History and thsi debate has been ongoing for sometime just my old but experienced opinion..

Comment

Working...
                                X