X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMolloy
    replied
    Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
    It seems as if some contributors place too much emphasis on appearance rather than utility.
    Some might, but most of the comments in this thread have been about design and other practical changes.

Tom Hanks may have taken on Europe with a colt 45 and a backpack.
    Tom Hanks might have done this in a film, but in reality the US soldier in WW2 had the best personal kit of the time.

I have been on active service where we carried our rations, a rolled up light sleeping bag ,med kit, all locally made , personal ammo and section ammo and an FN . We had very little gizmos, no gucci kits and thus could move quickly , cover ground and were objectively considered as one of the most effective counter insurgengy forces in the world at that time.
    Which gizmos or bits of gucchi kit that are currently on issue do you think are emcumberances? Are you saying that you would have rejected such kit if it had been offered to you?

Leave a comment:

• BANDIT
    replied
    Re Kit
    A good read and some good comments on gear and amount thereof is a book by George Mc Donald Fraser( of Flashman Fame) of his time in the 14th Army in the WW11 . Quartered Safe Out Here-

Leave a comment:

• BANDIT
    replied
    To Goldie Fish
    Really I thought Tom and his FCA/rdf extras did it. Did Mel Gibson and the same fight the english..

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    WHEN YOUR READY FOR SLAUGHTER ,JUST BULLETS AND WATER

Leave a comment:

• Craghopper
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Hi all
    As any combat veteran will tell you, once action gets underway, it doesn't take long for the useful kit to assert itself and the useless crap to be discarded. Anyone who has ever read a military book will see photos of combatants often carrying little more than a firearm, ammo, a few grenades and a water bottle and the minimum of clothing ( a jacket or shirt, a pair of trousers or shorts, decent boots and a helmet or hat). Modern militaries tend to continue the age-old practise of loading up the human mule until he drops, whilst expecting him to be as nimble as a goat.It is not helped by Gucci tendencies among regular and reservist soldiers alike.
    so there!
    regards
    GttC
    Never a truer word said...:wink:
    Last edited by Craghopper; 17 September 2006, 11:10.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi all
    As any combat veteran will tell you, once action gets underway, it doesn't take long for the useful kit to assert itself and the useless crap to be discarded. Anyone who has ever read a military book will see photos of combatants often carrying little more than a firearm, ammo, a few grenades and a water bottle and the minimum of clothing ( a jacket or shirt, a pair of trousers or shorts, decent boots and a helmet or hat). Modern militaries tend to continue the age-old practise of loading up the human mule until he drops, whilst expecting him to be as nimble as a goat.It is not helped by Gucci tendencies among regular and reservist soldiers alike.
    so there!
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    It seems as if some contributors place too much emphasis on appearance rather than utility. Tom Hanks may have taken on Europe with a colt 45 and a backpack but he was fit , the colt worked and I am sure still works today. There is a bit of Walterism fvrom the RDF chaps but this is to be expected...I have been on active service where we carried our rations, a rolled up light sleeping bag ,med kit, all locally made , personal ammo and section ammo and an FN . We had very little gizmos, no gucci kits and thus could move quickly , cover ground and were objectively considered as one of the most effective counter insurengcy forces in the world at that time. We also worked with national service and reservists and generally they were top class.. And as an ex reg PDF i can spell , but not type , but do hold an MSc in Engineering.

Just one point there.

Tom Hanks is an actor. He did not take part in the Normandy Beach landings. Its a film. It was filmed in Wexford. It's not real.

And you have the cheek to call the RDF walters after that?

Leave a comment:

• BANDIT
    replied
    It seems as if some contributors place too much emphasis on appearance rather than utility. Tom Hanks may have taken on Europe with a colt 45 and a backpack but he was fit , the colt worked and I am sure still works today. There is a bit of Walterism from the RDF chaps but this is to be expected...I have been on active service where we carried our rations, a rolled up light sleeping bag ,med kit, all locally made , personal ammo and section ammo and an FN . We had very little gizmos, no gucci kits and thus could move quickly , cover ground and were objectively considered as one of the most effective counter insurgengy forces in the world at that time. We also worked with national service and reservists and generally they were top class.. And as an ex reg PDF I can spell , but not type , but do hold an MSc in Engineering.

Leave a comment:

• Laoch
    replied
    Us CIS Guys need some additional pockets in the combats.

Mouse Holder
    Folded Keyboard Holder
    Lead pocket
    Handset pocket
    Laptop slot on outside of backpack
    VSAT dish holder on top of backpack

:-)
    Last edited by Laoch; 17 September 2006, 00:28.

Leave a comment:

• FMolloy
    replied
    Originally posted by andy View Post
    Ever check out those videos on youtube ? US forces dont look to extned themselves too much at the infantry bit.
    Considering the man is actually serving in the US Army, I'd say he doesn't need to look at videos on YouTube to know what goes on.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by ex pat 007 View Post
    And, oh how we laughed...
    Ever check out those videos on youtube ? US forces dont look to extned themselves too much at the infantry bit.

Leave a comment:

• ex pat 007
    replied
    US military doctrine consists of troops walking around until locating the enemy then getting into cover and calling in air support.
    And, oh how we laughed...

Leave a comment:

• MOB87
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry View Post
    You never see any pictures of yanks covered in filth, but for some reason when you go out on tactics, even an hour long stroll, you always end up with the lower half of your body completely brown. What gives?
    sand doesn't stick like mud does.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
    So you're an expert on the Spanish and the Americans...
    Sure I am :wink:

I think Im pretty accurate on both counts.

Leave a comment:

• FMolloy
    replied
    US military doctrine consists of troops walking around until locating the enemy then getting into cover and calling in air support.
    So you're an expert on the Spanish and the Americans...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X