RDF Potential Officers Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Potential Officers Course

Hi can anyone tell me the lenght of an RDF pot offr´s cse? I had heard that it was 4 weeks per year for two years or has the format changed?

4 weeks to become an officer vs 15 or 21 months intense training.. thats great!!

Comment

Originally posted by mortar_man
      4 weeks to become an officer vs 15 or 21 months intense training.. thats great!!
      Do try to consider that those who have been considered good enough to become officers should also be giving a commitment to their own unit, as well as the fact that they have a job and probably a family to give time to. If the DF want to give them employment protection and bring them in for 15/21 months of full time training that'd be great, but until that happens you cannot expect a reservist to choose between his job/family and getting a commission, because 99% of the time the commission will lose (and rightly so)

Comment

Originally posted by mortar_man
        Anyone doing an officers course has a at least few years beind them in the RDF and at least a PNCO course so its more like 5+ years of RDF experince and a 2 year officers course.

Comment

Correct. There is an interesting lower age group starting to come through
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
            Correct. There is an interesting lower age group starting to come through
            Not always for the good, as I've seen recently...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by AATWT
              Its even more of a joke than the Potential NCO'Ss course.
              Which one all the Bde's run their own?

Comment

who's fault is it that employment protection for reservists isnt there? its hardly the RDF's fault we have to work under the constraints set by the PDF and the DOD civil servants
                You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

The RDF Potential Officer course is at least 42 days (over 2 years) as Kermit said, why can't they be take seriously when compared to the PDF's 15/21 months. During those 15/21 months, a PDF cadet will cover practically everything a PDF recruit and NCO does and then starts to train to be an officer, as well as doing subjects like history, economics, the infantry light support weapons instructors course etc.

RDF Potential Officer will have already done the subjects on the RDF recruit, 3* and NCO Syllabii (in theory anyway). In comparsion, with the RDF's 42 day course, the TA (in the UK) have a 21 day course.

Comment

I take your point, but until some sort of employment protection is introduced it is entirely unfeasible to have a twelve week course per year. In my opinion, a lot of the theoretical material can be learned outside of the set weeks and weekends, then put into practical use on the modules. It's the standard of instrutcion that is really imporant. RDF officers should be of a similar standard to PDF officers. If choice is made to be a part-time rather than full time soldier, the standard should be set, and measures should be implemented so that the RDF can be assesed with respect to their PDF counterparts.

I honestly haven't a clue where the dividing line is, if RDF officers are sub-standard, or if they are on a par, i havent met enough PDF to comment.

I will say this; i have met a number of RDF officers who are shameful, inept, and generally unfit examples of leaders, the same leaders which will etch the future of the reserve.
                    Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by AATWT
                      I'm just going to say it, THE RDF IN GENERAL IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if it is a joke the fault lies at the door of the PDF and DoD, without proper support from both of these what can the RDF do?
                      You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Your right
                        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Regardless of the duraion of the Potential Officers course, what it cannot teach is experience. This is becoming more apparent recently when there seems to be a trend appearing of sending young Corporals in their early 20s on the course. While they may have the enthusaism and the fitness(mostly) the problems arise later on when they display total inability to relate to the Sgts and Corporals under their command.

Most of these are unaware of the duties of a sergeant also, and lose the plot when the more experienced sergeant suggests an alternative to their way of doing things.

It should be mandatory that all those due to go on Potential Officers courses must have completed a Standard NCO course, at least two years prior to commencing the Pot Officer course.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

agree with Goldie, but I'm biased. Oh and Chief Bubblewrap : I'm blushing.
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

The RDF is a second-line reserve, it's not the TA or the National Guard. For over 50 years it had to endure hand-me-down equipment and a disinterested PDF. Even when the brass decided to 'improve' things in the last few years, they did so in a half-arsed fashion. Did you really expect it to become a viable reserve overnight?

If the brass decides to get the finger out & provide reservists with employment protection, then things will improve.
                              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Working...
                              X