RDF on Camp. My Experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The following points raised by sandbag are the complete responsibility:
    1. Being where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there.
    2. Shaving
    3. Making sure your uniform is presentable (and when you are dealing with recruits - exceptional).
    4. Providing proper instruction to those under your charge with regard to the maintenance of the uniform, kit and billet space. Which should be accompanied by a demonstration of what is to be expected and adequate supervision that the task is being carried out.

The issues the NCO does not have control over are:
    1. The syllabus for the recruit. The laid down syllabus does not have a hell of a lot the "fun" tactical bits. There is plenty of field craft though.
    2. Gaps in the training program. However good NCOs make up for the shortcomings of their senior ranks.

Comment

junior NCos shouldn't have to make up for te short comminngs of the seniors.If their seniors are not able to manage their charges well they are not worthy of their appointment. Notice I say appointment rather than rank as an individual may posses other skills which warrant their rank..but not all people are good time managers or organisers..but may excel inother areas.

The appointments on such camps should be filled by people who excel as instructors and managers..and not just by people who hold the appropriate ranks.

The re org was supposed to high light these deficenies and adress the problems it causes..such as those out lined here.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
        but not all people are good time managers
        If you are not a good time manager military life is a bitch. Can you imagine someone arriving late on parade and explaining to the BSM that it was because he wasn't good at time management. Do you think the BSM would say "that's allright son, you're a good shot/great at the auld football/a whiz on the radio".

Comment

C
          M
          A
          D
          E

For all NCO's and officers from Lt Col to Cpl.

Fair dues to the NCO's who made the best of a bad situation Credit where credit is due to either Batt.
          Not being able to get out of bed because of drink, on a recruit camp, what do you think these recruits will do next year.

NO RATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          NO WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmm on second thought WHAT THE FU*K?

No food, I'm sure The news of the world would have loved that story, and don't give me chain of command shite, they get feed in prison, and every other state intuitions. As RDF I'm sure if the PDF didn't get feed heads would roll. Willy should look into this.

NCO's duty is to the men, officers duty is to the mission.
          Was there a BSM on this camp? If so what did he do?

Both the PDF and RDF put up with a lot of Shite no food or water is totally unacceptable, even if it was for a day!!!!!!
          Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
          - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
            i have to ask - is there anything new here that we didn't know already ?

Yes, whatever has been done to combat these issues is not working, and something new needs to be tried.

If your car breaks down, you try to find the problem, and fix it. If you have tried to fix the problem and it doesnt go away, you have misunderstood the probelm, or have not fixed the root cause of the problem.

The RDF command keep beating on their broken down car with the same old rotten 2" by 4" ... not working...
            Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
              Some excellent points

I don't wish to denigrate or take away from the posts they show a large amount of frustration

i have to ask - is there anything new here that we didn't know already ?
              As someone who frequently posts here saying how the reorg is a great thing for the RDF you have here an example of why in spite of the reorg, nothing has changed(as you have admitted yourself).

These old stories should be consigned to history following the reorg.

I was lucky to have been on a relatively well organised RDF camp where there was sufficient food, and accomodation.

However there were visible holes in the system and these individuals are quite happy to carry on as they have done throughout their RDF "career" and nobody seems to have the power, or initiative to get them to change their ways.

I'm talking about leadership here, or lack of it.

I'm not sure two units from different corps sharing a small camp for a whole week is such a good idea though, unless, their training programs are connected.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I was just reading the different posts on this matter, I would have to agree with sandbag, by the way the term sandbag is not a fitting name for a member of the reserve.
                The RDF is going through a lot of changes at the moment, some good and some not so good, I'm a member of the PDF and I have had a lot of dealings with the RDF and overall I have seen some great members of the RDF give it "all" on courses.

But sadly a number of people use the RDF for socal reasons rather than for training and passing on their knowledge which reflects in the general standard in the RDF. I understand the time limits on RDF training and not everyone can give up their holidays and free time which probably could be looked at. The Pots course is too short for a start and this reflects in the turn out of 3 stars.

As regards overseas, one day I would like to see RDF serve overseas, but not at the moment, sadly the standards are too low and a lot of Officers/Nco's of the PDF have the same view but times are changing.

To any member of the RDF that is reading this, I want to wish you guys all the best with your reorg but maybe the internet is not the way to go and voice your concerns, it starts with your senior Nco's/company commander.

Comment

Originally posted by silverwings

To any member of the RDF that is reading this, I want to wish you guys all the best with your reorg but maybe the internet is not the way to go and voice your concerns, it starts with your senior Nco's/company commander.
                  In the PDF what success would you think the average private would have bringing a complaint about training to his or her CO? This site provides an outlet for those who feel they have no voice within the system that still maintains an upper management who believe they are better than the ordinary troops(I am speaking about a minority of course, but the minority can do as much harm)

Comment

the worst thing that happened to me on a camp was when they collected 5 quid from each person to get sun cream for us there was eight of us in my section three sections with two platoons i could never get an answer why my section had to share our bottle of suncream with another section but yes i did experience the your not entitled too rations thing they put us in a bus from cavan to wicklow with out even a cup of tea ""nice lads""
                    "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                      In the PDF what success would you think the average private would have bringing a complaint about training to his or her CO? This site provides an outlet for those who feel they have no voice within the system that still maintains an upper management who believe they are better than the ordinary troops(I am speaking about a minority of course, but the minority can do as much harm)

Good point, but the point that I'm trying to make is, rather than rising your concerns on the web, maybe people should try and use the system and talk to their Nco's/Officers as regards their training.
                      As regards what sandbag stated, the situation would not happen within the PDF, the Nco's/Officers would not permit it, but the PDF is not perfect either but there is measures in place to make sure that the training is of a high standard.
                      Maybe people should talk to the minority as regards their concerns rather than let the situation happen again and again.

Comment

The minority are not approachable. Therin lies the problem. They are also issued with special blinkers to protect their view from the obvious shambles that their actions, or lack of same are creating.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                          The minority are not approachable. Therin lies the problem. They are also issued with special blinkers to protect their view from the obvious shambles that their actions, or lack of same are creating.

I understand the situation, its hard to get anything done when people are not approachable, but times are changing.

Comment

TBH I think more issues have been raised and listened to due to whats ever been bitched about in the public domain rather than wahts buried in army secrecy....

If you believe things are going to change...I would have believe that 15 years ago...but then I waited 15 years to see it happen..until all the people who are in positions of authority in dealing with the reserve and their minions are dead buried and rotted this is never going to change....
                            believe it or not those are those who pray for change never to take place as it will destroy their little fifedoms..there are thos whostill believe...what has the PDf ever done for us?

That the PDF need the RDF..and these people are as much reciprocated in the PDF....maybe when hell feezes over..things might change.

And just to sour everybody..can never say that I have been on a camp that I came home hungry from...sure there were bad days...but all in all sometimes it maybe a little bland....but never have gone so far as to say..it was inedible or even berated army cooks as been done hear..dissapointing one that...
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Silverwings, you appear to be embarrassed that the short comings of the few are being discussed on the net? Why, who are you trying to protect?
                              By discouraging people from posting their gripes you are in effect trying to sweep problems under the carpet.

Perhaps you see yourself as the conscience of the DF? Nothing discussed here is detrimental to the security of the state. The state of the RDF however would appear to be detrimental to the health of its members.

In the don, I had a rather boring lecture from an nco threatening action against me and my buddies if we posted here. I reckon that could be an A7 matter tbh.

To sum up, many matters have been brought to a head due to discussion on this forum. Solutions have been found and put in place.

If theyre embarrassed **** them. I'd rather they suffer embarrassment then I suffer shame, neglect and abuse.

I'm going fishing now.Catch you later.
                              Air Corps Veteran

Comment

Its a soldiers right to bitch and moan be it pdf or rdf but it does sound like sandbag had a shite camp i remember my first one in gormanston in 94 it was hard but i had a ball of a time
                                "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Comment

Working...
                                X