X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy's got the right idea.

However, while I agree that some people need a good kick in the hole

greyfox says "heres hoping for a change after reorg"

why ? there's no point waiting . Make a difference and lead now. you'll feel better.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Again, the necesssary clout needs to be there in order to have a decent run at training a platoon. It's ok for a corporal to be enthusiastic about things and even if the NCO complains to his/her sergeant about the difficulties they face it will not make a difference if the necessary strings are not pulled at the higher levels.

My unit is good for the fact that we are aware that their is a lack of everything military in the RDF but we do a good job in making the best out of a bad situation. This I feel can be morale killing after a certain amount of time and there is only so much Ad - libbing you can do without the proper equipment etc etc.

Comment

Sure... but if you've two stripes you train a section - it should take two of you

if you have 3 or a pip you train a platoon - and here it takes two to run it well.

Write everything down. Use the training diaries. If you haven't one get one - they should be free from sub-unit or unit.

Document every single thing that happens (or doesn't because of yours or someone else's fault) . There's a column in the training diary for this purpose.

look back after 3 months. Review.

Eldavido - give me an example of what yer missing.

Comment

Access to weapons.

That's the main one......

Comment

Good idea with the training diary. I'll take that on board.

Good stuff outta you trellheim

Comment

Why ? where are you ?

in barracks or out ?

Comment

A lot of Country units never have the chance to even look at a rifle due to the whole, 'not training in a barracks syndrome.'

That's like the S&T sitting around with no vehicles etc.

'And tonight lads were gonna look at some pictures of the MAN diesel!'

Comment

The thing, i hope you enjoy your service to the Queen and the United Kingdom. I wouldn’t join up but that decision is up to you.

I recognise that there is a culture of ignorance in regards to military matters in this country but some of that must stem from the fact that we are a neural country. Would you really like to have it any other way? Personally I don’t want to fight wars over land etc... (UN and ERF however are different)

British people seem to define themselves as once conquers and the British military is major part of that. Their military was always geared up to as an aggressive force. When comparisons are made between the IDF and the BA, I think that’s fundamentally flawed.

I’m not disputing the lack of equipment and direction lacking in the Reserve. Its a case of serious equipment shortages and "what does the FCA/RDF do anyway" However it must be remembered that up until now the reserve never really had a tangible role.

Trying isnt an event, its a process. You cant just try for once and if it doesnt work out then just leave it. All you can do is constantly make the effort, fix what is in front of you and contact RDFRA where appropiate.

Comment

While I don't particularly agree with andy's political rhetoric I do agree that change has to come from within. If you rely on the right strings to be pulled you will be waiting a long time for change.
                    If a Sec NCO is professional in what he does that will roll over to other NCO's who start thinking "i'd better get my act together or such and such will make a show of me".
                    As regards equipment the RDF isn't the only outfit to be seriously underfunded and equipped. Sometimes it really is a case of doing the best with what you have.

Comment

Professional NCO's? That goes right back to another thread that was shut down

Comment

Trying isn't an event, its a process.
                        Very true, but that doesn't mean you're going to succeed. Who's to say that The Thing hasn't been 'trying' for a while? People have limits, there's only so much shite you can put up with.

Perhaps The Thing has encountered the straw that broke the camel's back.
                        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

medic...... "andy's political rhetoric"

?? I said I wasnt up for joining other armies, but I hadnt anything against anyone else doing so and wished them the best of luck.... ???

I was under the impression the some of the foriegn armies were geared up for aggressive tasks more so that the IDF,

Im sorry if Im churning out the constant political rhetoric and please excuse my ignorance of the role of military forces.

Fmolloy, theThing is in my unit and we know each other quite well. He had a different experience with the DF than I had.

In regard to the Irish mindset...

The GAA are currently giving out that the Irish people+ Government arent thankfull of the sporting infastruture they put in place throughout the country, but isnt that just a case of Irish people looking at something and have that angle on things where its a case of .......well what they should have done is. instead of , yes great to see the new grounds, stadium etc..

Its so easy to see the glass half empty or half full, you can put whatever spin you want on it.

I dont know, maybe its just me, my interperation of the IDF of where it came from, where its going to, how messed up Ireland was is different to that of other peoples view.

Comment

Eldavido, I didn't say professional nco's. I said nco's being professional in what they do. Big difference.

Andy, misread your post. Fair enough point, my apologies

Comment

Professionalism should indeed be treated as a byword for NCO but its hard not to let things slip when you're repeatedly forced to give classroom lectures without a classroom.
                              I've seen people with MOI on the right side of solid have lessons go to pot because of an innappropriate setting, I've had that same frustrating experience many times myself, you cannot function adequat access to certain resources, I know defence has been hacked repeatedly over the last, well 80 years but a table and a blackboard aren't a lot to ask for.
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I have seen people give lessons in a shower block in the Bruagh.

Comment

Working...
                                X