any news on the UAV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any news on the UAV?

just wondering has there been any development on getting them, have any been evaluated yet?
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Originally posted by kermit
    Just because they fly, doesn't mean they are an Air Corps asset, they are not.
    ok, I didn't know if it was the Army or the AC who would be actually flying them, so better safe then sorry I put it here.....
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

We'll leave it in the AC section until it's officialy said otherwise.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Comment

damn over a year ago I posted that...doesn't seem that long

Comment

Spy planes to battle it out for Irish contract
            ADVERTISEMENT

A FLY-OFF between pilotless robot planes over Ireland will decide which aircraft will become a hi-tech spy plane for the Defence Forces.

The Army is to join the growing worldwide aviation revolution whereby military commanders rely on the small planes to provide up-to-the minute intelligence, including real-time video footage, for their forces.

Operated by Army communications personnel and not the Air Corps, the planes will be able to provide key information to Irish commanders of forces serving with UN missions or EU battlegroups.

The tiny planes, which can loiter for hours and provide video by day or night, are widely used by many armies, in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.

A preliminary tender competition for the Irish unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) or drones has been held. A second is under way between a selected group of companies.

It is understood that a number of demonstrations may be required as part of the evaluation.

Initially two drones are to be acquired.

The planes were widely used in the recent Lebanon war. Israeli drones provided real-time video footage of targets to the pilots of Apache attack helicopters flying behind them.

In one incident, a young gunman fired his AK-47 rifle at a low-flying drone. Within seconds a bomb from an unseen aircraft demolished an apartment block beside him.

A typical drone is the Israeli-developed Hunter. It can carry out many roles including providing real-time imagery, surveillance, target acquisition and battlefield observation. It can also be armed.

The larger Predator used by US forces as well as the CIA has been used not just for surveillance but also to attack targets in the Middle East with Hellfire missiles.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Willie O'Dea unveiled a new uniform for the Civil Defence when he opened a new headquarters in Roscrea, Co Tipperary.

The new uniform brings the Irish uniform into line with standard civil-defence uniforms worn across the EU.

Don Lavery
            anyone know which ones they are evaluating?

Comment

If this is about the tender for "non-pilot aircraft" I posted a while back, it is for the "hire of aircraft" and is valued at €1 million.

Comment

it mentions the hunter and predator and wikipedia claim that they are both being considered. the dutch military apparently have problems with their (French i think) UAVs.
                The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
                They were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MOB87 View Post
                  it mentions the hunter and predator and wikipedia claim that they are both being considered. the dutch military apparently have problems with their (French i think) UAVs.
                  predator is a little on the large side for us, hunter maybe, I think that was the Danes, they sold all their sperwars to Canada for I think 100 dollors

Comment

predator has also got the facility to launch hellfires, that could sway the decision either way.
                    They were wrong.

Comment

How exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Pod View Post
                        How exactly?
                        how does it fire hellfires or how would it swing the decision?:confused:

Comment

if its considered un nessecary and too expensive to remove, although the iveco (i think) trucks had got microwaves and tvs as standard & were more expensive when they were removed due to the work involved.
                          They were wrong.

Comment

Hi there
                            A microwave and a telly in an Army truck? Nah.You'd never get the hoors out of the cab then.I'll bet they were "removed", alright.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Do we have hellfire? and is it not for arty obs? cos if it is size will probably be a big factor as you'll probably be launchin it from fields which would rule out predator.
                              But there's no danger
                              It's a professional career
                              Though it could be arranged
                              With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                              If you're out of luck you're out of work
                              We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Working...
                              X