Your opinions please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinions please...

I have been reading here for sometime now i'm looking for opinions/help; several months back i presented myself at Cathal Brugha barracks looking to enlist within the RDF, i was told that i had missed the cut off point for recruitment by a few weeks and that no recruiting would commence until early September. The officer who explained this to me couldn't have been more helpful and i resolved to return in September. I was formerly in C Coy 20th Batt (a long time ago) which is why i went to the Brugha. I am not what i would imagine to be the 'average' recruit (forgive me if i sound cocky its unintended) as i'm 29 years old. I was quite a bit older than most of the recruits i could see on the square. That doesn't bother me in the slightest and i don't imagine it would bother them.
    What i need help with is this, can anyone recommend a unit to me? I'm not bothered if its within the 62nd or 65th i have no real preference, i live within reasonable commuting distance of both McKee and Cathal Brugha Barracks. I'd just appreciate honest opinions thats all. From what i've read here over the last few months a lot of problems with the FCA no longer exist but they're replaced by new ones, and some problems haven't disappeared. Any and all advice will be greatfully appreciated no matter what it is or where it directs me to. Thank you all for your time and i look forward to reading your feedback.

I remember we had a "repeat" in my recruit platoon back in 94. He ended up being despised by NCOs and recruits alike due to his attempts to be "helpful" - ie telling us what to do all the time. I think it's fair to say you're right, you won't be an average recruit and chances are you'll be older than the majority of your training NCOs. Best advice is the same I'd give to a teenage recruit:

Head down
    Mouth Shut
    Eyes and ears wide open
    Don't be first
    Don't be last
    And never EVER volunteer

Of course - the golden rule:

DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD
    Meh.

Comment

Why not try the NSR? If I was going back I'd go for this.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Hq coy 65th bn now recruiting tue nights at 19.45
        :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Try the Cav...joined as a recruit myself at 24..maturity helps,,,RDF needs more people like this..saying it for years..bring back those who have settled in life...get in there do your best!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

My units better then your unit..................
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

As the lads have said, all Corps are represented in the two Dublin Bks...
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Theres no cav in mckee.
                Why not try the garda reserve?????
                Irishman serving in Her Majesty's Splendid Armed Forces, seeking fame and fortune and bringing light to the dark places of the World.

Comment

Originally posted by flash bang View Post
                  Hq coy 65th bn now recruiting tue nights at 19.45
                  I appreciate the help, however info on the 65th is hard to come by online (as afr as i can tell) can you give me a bit more info i.e. which companies are recruiting? Is it just H.Q. Coy or all RDF units in McKee?

Thanks

Comment

not that sure about the other companies within the bn , but its only HQ or SUPPORT COY in McKee . HQ on tue and SUPPORT on wed
                    :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

The 67th recruit on a weekly basis.
                      Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

Try www.62infantry.com , they have companies in Cathal Brugha.

Comment

62nd is the old 20th and 21st so you may still know some bods in it fomr your previous service.

I know people in both units and I wouldn't rate one above the other.
                          Last edited by Muzzle; 25 August 2006, 12:44.

Comment

A lot of the old C Company (MOD: Of the 20th) ended up in Support Coy
                            Last edited by DeV; 25 August 2006, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by super_soldier View Post
                              Theres no cav in mckee.
                              Why not try the garda reserve?????
                              The original post said that he's within reach of either bks.

Originally posted by Darksaga
                              The 67th recruit on a weekly basis.
                              Darksaga, no good to our poster. He's in the Dublin area, the nearest post of 67 Inf Bn is more north of that....
                              Last edited by FMolloy; 28 August 2006, 00:55.
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X