Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career in the Army? -- some questions

Hey folks,

I'm still intrigued by the idea of joining the military, but I'm wondering what exactly a life in the army might entail!

A few questions!

1. How long at a time would you be living in barracks or abroad? I mean, do you get a break from serving at all? If so, how long, and is it paid (perhaps this varies with rank, etc.)? If not, then how exactly is it possible to have a family, kids, wife, etc., if you don't get a chance to MEET someone? :confused:

2. Following on from #1... is it hard to maintain a family while you're a member of the military? Surely if you're abroad for months at a time and living in barracks other times, then it would take its toll! And from what I gather the pay isn't great, which would make it even harder.

3. How easy is it to be promoted? I mean you could hardly have a career as the lowest rank (not sure what that is)! And I would think that there's an age-limit after which if you're not going up, you're going down.

4. How does it fare up against civilian life? I suppose this is mainly applicable to those who have done both. I would think the lack of freedom in the army would be frustrating, but at the same time travelling to different places and not having to worry about costs, etc., would be one benefit. I dunno, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks for any feedback, I'll try and think of more questions tomorrow

Im in the Army 12 years happily married with kids and have been overseas 3 times...
    Last edited by Craghopper; 24 August 2006, 02:46.

Comment

Cool Anyone able to answer some of my questions please?

Comment

Is it only the irish army your interested in or is going foreign an option???
        Irishman serving in Her Majesty's Splendid Armed Forces, seeking fame and fortune and bringing light to the dark places of the World.

Comment

I've seen three star privates, (lowest fully trained rank), that must be fory or close to it.
          From my understanding you dont have to worry about promotion to stay in. You will have to go on courses to stay in though.

While in the country you wont have to live in barracks constantly, you will be doing similar to a 9 to 5 while on normal duties.
          courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

10:00 To 15:30 More Like
            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

[QUOTE=womble;133585]I've seen three star privates, (lowest fully trained rank), that must be fory or close to it.
              From my understanding you dont have to worry about promotion to stay in. You will have to go on courses to stay in though.

Not anymore,in order to serve to 21 years from 12 you must agree to comlete an overseas trip every 3 years,get a grade 3 (minimum) in the i.t's annually and complete a certain no. of carrer cses.Cpls and ptes must retire at 21 years service.In order to serve past 21 you must be a sgt and then you can serve to 50 years of age.Senior ncos(cq and higher)can serve till 56.Anyone who joins after 2005 HAS to do an ncos cse.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                Not anymore,in order to serve to 21 years from 12 you must agree to comlete an overseas trip every 3 years,get a grade 3 (minimum) in the i.t's annually and complete a certain no. of carrer cses.Cpls and ptes must retire at 21 years service.In order to serve past 21 you must be a sgt and then you can serve to 50 years of age.Senior ncos(cq and higher)can serve till 56.Anyone who joins after 2005 HAS to do an ncos cse.
                Thanks for the clarification.
                A few questions actually, if you enlist after 2005 do you have to do your NCO's course in your first five years to stay in, or is it for 12 or 21 years service.
                Also do 3 stars get increments in their pay regularly, otherwise they seem to be on crap wages.

Cheers.

Comment

What are the I.T's?
                  Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

Originally posted by Darksaga View Post
                    What are the I.T's?

Dont know what it stands for buts its the fitness tests.

Comment

I.T = instruction training.I know the army loves to write everything backwards for some unfathomable reason And yes it means the fitness tests.When you are promoted to 3* pte you start at the bottom of the ptes incremental pay scale,you also recieve the low rate of military service allowance(m.s.a).Your pay and msa dont increase until the third anniversary of you promotion to 3*.After which you go on full msa and your pay increases annually till you either get promoted to cpl(in which case you start at the bottom of the ncos scale)or reach the top point on the pte scale.
                      To serve from 5-9 years you MUST complete 3 career cses(from a list) OR 2 cses and an overseas trip OR a cse , a trip and either the pot ncos cse or the m.p probationer cse.You
                      dont have to have been promoted.And also get certain grades in the i.t's.
                      All of this info is on the pdforra website.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        I.T = instruction training.I know the army loves to write everything backwards for some unfathomable reason And yes it means the fitness tests.When you are promoted to 3* pte you start at the bottom of the ptes incremental pay scale,you also recieve the low rate of military service allowance(m.s.a).Your pay and msa dont increase until the third anniversary of you promotion to 3*.After which you go on full msa and your pay increases annually till you either get promoted to cpl(in which case you start at the bottom of the ncos scale)or reach the top point on the pte scale.
                        To serve from 5-9 years you MUST complete 3 career cses(from a list) OR 2 cses and an overseas trip OR a cse , a trip and either the pot ncos cse or the m.p probationer cse.You
                        dont have to have been promoted.And also get certain grades in the i.t's.
                        All of this info is on the pdforra website.

Thanks very much for that.

Comment

Orginally when the 5 year contracts you could only serve as a private for that amount of time unless you had done a trip overseas and been promoted to corporal. Now the absolute max is 12 years due to representations from PDFORRA.

Comment

IT = Imlitir Traen?la
                            ________
                            M F L B
                            Last edited by Smithy; 9 March 2011, 15:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                              IT = Imlitir Traenála

Smart arse Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X