No announcement yet.

Still a Recruit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is the recce course the same as the "assault pioneers" course i think that is what it was called anyway
    "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Comment

I've been in the FCA / RDF for over 8 years. The only time I've seen a GPMG is when other people have it out from stores!

The Basic Recce course is for members of the Recce Platoon and the Assault Pioneer course is for members of the Assault Pioneer Platoon. Assault Pioneers are like the mini-COE (Corps of Engineers) personnel, they don't have all the equipment, training and capabilities of the COE personnel, but can do some basic engineering work.

Once personnel have been upgraded to 3* it can be difficult to find subjects that can be covered in the RDF on a typical parade night. Yes there is courses but some of these are difficult to teach on a parade night. Also there is the problems with the lack of personnel, instructors, equipment, sufficient time etc.

The infantrymans job has to be drilled into 3*s. It should be second nature but ...

People become bored with doing the same drills, over the same piece of ground, without weapons or blanks, month after month. While it has to be done, their is no real incentive for them to turn up, they & their instructors become bored.

It is alot easier for companys/platoons that are based in a barracks.
      Last edited by DeV; 8 September 2006, 20:40.

Comment

Nope recce course is an entirely different kettle of fish to the assault pioneers course.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Dev are you an NCO, if so then there was your mistake.

When you're a three star you could be trained on or sent on any type of course. We had lads on an 84 course and most of our three stars are more then familiar with the GPMG

When you become a CPL all that stops, all you are left with is traininig raw recruits for the next while.

By all means become a corporal when you feel you are good and ready.

But to the current three stars, ezpecially the experienced ones, the RDF is just getting started and right now you are the most valuable resource available to the RDF.

One section made up of 3 stars with years or experience, is worth a platoon of new 3 stars.

Stick around, as you are, its starting to get interesting
          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

BamBam to answer your question, I've been an NCO for 5 years. What was my mistake?

I've had people on courses (GPMG, SF, 84, SINCGARS, etc), mainly 2 stars and new 3 stars. For our company we only have a few options with regard to courses: one of the following - every second parade night, field days, weekends or camps. For the commitmets will all ready have for the RDF we are not able to do that many more field days / weekends.

For units in permanently manned barracks with the reorg they are doing great thinks.

For the rests of us who have to travel 45 minutes to an hour and a half (and soon two an a half hours) to get to the barracks, the only courses we can run are on camps and we can't even do that due to lack of troops and instructors.

Comment

same old story then ..nothing has changed much....manned posts versus umanned posts...travel verus training..thought the reorg was going to change all this...just as well I kept my soap box then!
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Bravocold View Post
                [MOD: Moved and edited (from "RDF-A Positive Experience")]

When reading "RDF- A Positive Experience",

How do people become a 3* while in the same space of time, I've remained a Recruit? Is this at all normal or are they just genius!
                i wrote that RDF a positive experience
                i signed up feb 2005 was sworn in july 2005
                missed the camps so i had to serve nearly 11mths as a gi
                i did both recruit camp and 2star camp this year
                dats da shot!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                  Eh hem, pardon my ignorance and lack of knowledge please. I'm going to make a suggestion and you are willing to destroy it as you like, I wont be offended.

You may be familar with the US Army Ranger school which aims to teach NCO's the basics of US Army Ranger tactics etc. The idea being that there whould be one ranger qualified NCO per infantry platoon in the army. The graduates of this school dont actually join a Ranger unit.

Would somethinig like that for 3*'s here be an option? Thinking for Infantry types here. It would entail further in depth and advanced training in the subjects that they will have already done and some other stuff like basic mountaineering and need not focus on leadership as much. A kind of advanced infantry mans course basically and a pre- requisite for a pots course.

Discuss.
                  Nice idea mate but the its the rdf of the irish defence forces your in, not the best equipt, most heavily funded army on the planet.

That aside theres no way the rdf would be allowed do anything like what you suggest cause what would happen if someone hurt themselves?????

As for the "cant think of any other training for the 3*s to do" squad, maybe you should read your tactical training manuals? Im sure they cover more then just section in attack.....................

I think I heard somewhere that an nco is "supposed" to be able to think on his feet!!!!
                  Irishman serving in Her Majesty's Splendid Armed Forces, seeking fame and fortune and bringing light to the dark places of the World.

Comment

It is difficult when you don't have the NCOs to teach them and only a couple of privates.
                    Last edited by DeV; 30 September 2006, 14:36.

Comment

Working...
                    X