No announcement yet.

Integrated Units - Start of Apartheid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrated Units - Start of Apartheid?

Will RDF soldiers be treated as second class soldiers when on integration training or will they be treated just the same as their PDF counterparts?
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Jesus thats a good one.I think alot will depend on the unit that they are part of and their willingness to accepy ye.All i can say is that for the first five -6 years of pdf service you are considered a redarse(some of my more seasoned colleagues would probably say longer)and you really have to prove yourself before you are accepted.Going overseas,doing your duties,even the shitty ones and not catching others for them and mucking in with the lads all help.Going on the piss together also helps
    Remember ,mouth shut unless it's to ask an intelligent question and eyes and ears open and ye will be fine.Once we see that ye are willing to learn and practice what is taught,and arent behaving like a bunch of know all walts then ye will be wellcomed with open arms.
    Still having said that ,leave your feelings at the gate as you WILL get slagged mercilessly(as does every fng) and develop a thick skin.Dont be afraid to give it back either.

what unit are you thinking of applying for?
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

In my limited experience of such matters. Both parties seem to get on when with each other when they both have something to gain.

Comment

I think it'll defimitely lead to an "apartheid" system in the RDF, between the integrated and the "normal" types. I'm not sure that having a two-tiered system is such a great idea. Inevitably, the integrated types will see the RDF rules and regulations as being for the other RDF'ers, and not for them, the "special" ones.
        Last edited by strummer; 21 September 2006, 21:12.
        No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

I was of the understanding that the integrated units would be under PDF control. I.e integrated into PDF unit and RDF unit. Not a three tier as say RDF / Integrated / PDF
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

They will still be RDF even if they report to the CO of a PDF unit.

Comment

I can see a situation in where at the range an officer is looking for runners to flagstaff to post the flag, and in front of him is a platoon of Black berets and one or two green ones. Hmm which one will he choose?

Comment

looking for runners to flagstaff to post the flag, and in front of him is a platoon of Black berets and one or two green ones. Hmm which one will he choose
                the ones with the black berets of course

because the lads with the green ones would hardly make it up flag staff
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  the ones with the black berets of course

because the lads with the green ones would hardly make it up flag staff
                  The slagging starts

Comment

sorry lads
                    i couldnt help it

I was only only joking
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                      Jesus thats a good one.I think alot will depend on the unit that they are part of and their willingness to accepy ye.All i can say is that for the first five -6 years of pdf service you are considered a redarse(some of my more seasoned colleagues would probably say longer)and you really have to prove yourself before you are accepted.Going overseas,doing your duties,even the shitty ones and not catching others for them and mucking in with the lads all help.Going on the piss together also helps
                      Remember ,mouth shut unless it's to ask an intelligent question and eyes and ears open and ye will be fine.Once we see that ye are willing to learn and practice what is taught,and arent behaving like a bunch of know all walts then ye will be wellcomed with open arms.
                      Still having said that ,leave your feelings at the gate as you WILL get slagged mercilessly(as does every fng) and develop a thick skin.Dont be afraid to give it back either.

That about sums it up.
                      If you are sound you'll be fine if you are a l*nger you won't

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                        I can see a situation in where at the range an officer is looking for runners to flagstaff to post the flag, and in front of him is a platoon of Black berets and one or two green ones. Hmm which one will he choose?
                        You're safe. We have horseless carriages now.
                        sigpic
                        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                        My favourite moment was when the
                        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post

what unit are you thinking of applying for?
                          Was never known to have thin skin. Possibly because of the name. Not to many Friesian/Dutch/SA first and second names in the DF!!!

34Bn will be integrated with 4Bn. Should be alright considering half my recruit platoon in 2000 went on to join the PDF through them, or got transfered to them. Been on PSO and Cadet class training excercises with them before and there was no abnormal hassle. RDF NCO's were even put in charge of a PDF section when attacking entrenched Cadet class positions on that excercise and visa versa. Both sides learned and had the craic.

In regards issuing of kit / equipment etc, will the integrated reservist be given the same or will the feeling be that they get the end of the barrel after all PDF counterparts have been issued? Comments and thought please

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                            In regards issuing of kit / equipment etc, will the integrated reservist be given the same or will the feeling be that they get the end of the barrel after all PDF counterparts have been issued? Comments and thought please
                            Logically you'll have to be given the full whack just like a PDF member.
                            sigpic
                            Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Logically a non-integrated should get the full whack as well.

When have the DOD or the Military ever thought logically.
                              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Working...
                              X