This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
    Anyone got a soft copy of the ARW admin in the filed flyer that was in an Cosantoir a few years ago, the PLCE one? I need a copy to spread said picture among the troops.
    Stay away form that one.It is ARW selection specific and designed to put weight on a soldier BEFORE he gets issued Ammo,Ordnance etc.The STD NCO course one(2004)is better and aimed more at the Infantry.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      LIDL have them occasionally also.
      I bought the Lidl bags as they were €8 or something ridiculous and huge. The problem is they are verrrry heavy and add a lot of weight. From my experience there are two types the thicker heavy material used in dry bags like the ones you use in canoeing or diving/sailing. And the thinner bags ideal for trekking etc. I've had good ones from ortileb and webtex.

The latter tend to be better for military applications due to the reduction in weight.

I'd reccomend going for smaller bags as opposed to buying one large bag. I've found colour coding your bags and writing whats in them eg. "warm gear" helps. as opposed to rummaging around inside a big bag inside your backpack. A lot of the trekking or mil. specific bags tend also to have a see through strip on them which is handy if you don't want to write on them.

+1 On the bore snake!
      "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffman View Post
        I bought the Lidl bags as they were €8 or something ridiculous and huge. The problem is they are verrrry heavy and add a lot of weight. From my experience there are two types the thicker heavy material used in dry bags like the ones you use in canoeing or diving/sailing. And the thinner bags ideal for trekking etc. I've had good ones from ortileb and webtex.

The latter tend to be better for military applications due to the reduction in weight.

True, the aldi 44L is nearly double the weight (320g v 580g) of a 140L exped, and because the aldi ones are so thick you have to roll them a few more times to seal it properly so you lost more space than you should.
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Tesco do a twin pack, one daysack sized, the other a little larger. Haven't tested them yet but they appear to be up to the job. Four euro.
          "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

• Got myself a Bore Snake in the US before I came home recently

I also got a very nifty head torch with a white light with three levels of intensity, and a selcection of white/red light, all
            without the need for changing light filters, etc

One of these:
            http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Pro-...10228679/81243
            Last edited by Truck Driver; 3 August 2012, 18:00.
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Packing list for 72ish hour RDF ex

Smock
              FFD, FFD + Surgical gloves Top left (Notebook, compass, pens etc) Top right (spork, whistle, head Torch, Camo cream, lighter)
              L Sleeve (alcohol Gel, hand wipes) Bottom Left(boonie, camo, mozzie net Bottom Right(gloves, TP, shemagh)

CEFO
              Ammo (L) Mag/Smoke hopefully
              Utility Small 1st aid kit, Mozzie Repellant, black tape,1 swiss army knife,2 Pace counter, sports gel stuff,3 Rifle cleaning kit, space blanket
              Utility ??
              Utility 4GPMG link/prisoner kit
              Ammo (R) Mag/Smoke hopefully
              Might change contents of CEFO depending on how much ordinance needs to go into it, small items will go into daysack most likely.

Daysack
              Left Pocket Main Compartment Right Pocket
              One meal (Fleece, Warm Hat, Neck Warmer, Socks x 1) In Dry bag

(Hexi, Metal Mug) [FONT=Arial]May move to cefo[/FONT]5

Wet Jacket

Camelbak 3L

Ordinance
              Foot powder

Bergen
              Outside Lid Pocket

Secateurs,6 Cyalumes,
              Inside Lid pocket

Hygiene kit, Spare bootlaces, boot care kit,
              Front pocket;

Basha, Tent pegs, Bungees/Para cord
              Rocket L (in Dry bag)
              * Spare Pants
              * Baselayer top & bottom
              * Socks x 3
              * Shirt
              Main Compartment
              (in dry bag; Sleeping bag, bivi bag,)

Wet Pants

Roll mat strapped to front
              Rocket R (In dry bag)
              (Rations)
              Knee pads(might ditch)
              7Daysack yoke(might ditch)
              1L H20(might ditch)

May ditch dry bag here as its not necessary and use it for fleece in daysack instead of bigger dry bag

Comments/Obeservations anyone? The only duplicates I should have would be TP, Black tape and mozzie repellent.

Some tips that might help.

1: Should be paracorded to lower smock pocket.(Think E&E)
              2: Secure to front of Yoke.No good in a pouch.
              3: RCK goes in Daysack. You wont be cleaning your Weapon whilst on the move.Pullthrough in smock pocket with a bit of Flannelette in case the barrel gets clogged.
              4: Keep ammo and kit separate.You go to get ammo out in a hurry you may loose kit. GPMG link can also go in a daysack side pouch so your buddy can access it.
              5: Leave them where they are.You wont brew up whilst fighting.High energy food you can eat on the move goes in CEFO along with an EMERGENCY brew/ration kit.keep that simple.Must be able to eat cold.
              6; Cyalumes go in daysack outer pouch.Red,green,blue,IR(if you can get) Used for marking SL's,NATO T,Casualties,bergen caches etc.One yellow one in top pocket of smock for casualty.make that an SOP.
              7: Ditch that.you don't need it if you have a daysack.

Keep at least one 1 Ltr water bottle in you Bergen and one in your CEFO.Drink from your Camelbak.Brew up/hygiene/resup from your bottles. It is next to impossible and very time consuming to try and fill Mugs or mess tins from bladders.And you can loose alot of water aswell.

Other than those few small points your packing is more or less spot on.Good drills.
              Last edited by apod; 4 August 2012, 11:26.

Comment

Comments/Obeservations anyone? The only duplicates I should have would be TP, Black tape and mozzie repellent.

Only thing i could spot there would be the camelbak/water bladder. While they're great to have, not everyone does, what's the alternative? Large water bottle?

Also, a general observation: a drybag is a nice to have, but an expensive one. A good heavy duty black bin liner has done me and will do me for my CEMO. I have a dry bag for my patrol pack but that was on sale when I got it.
                Last edited by Buck; 3 August 2012, 22:41.
                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                He put a bullet through his brain.
                And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                  Only thing i could spot there would be the camelbak/water bladder. While they're great to have, not everyone does, what's the alternative? Large water bottle?
                  I have 2 US style water bottles, and I should get issued a green BA style one from the friendly CQ next week. TBH I prefer the camelbak and it'll either be in my daysack or on my back if i'm not using the daysack. I'll keep one waterbottle in the bergen as back up. I'll keep an empty 2l ballygowan bottle in the bergen for resupply.

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                  Also, a general observation: a drybag is a nice to have, but an expensive one. A good heavy duty black bin liner has done me and will do me for my CEMO. I have a dry bag for my patrol pack but that was on sale when I got it.
                  I've them bought now though! i'll be using them in other activities so its not money wasted for 1 ex a year.

Comment

I have 2 US style water bottles, and I should get issued a green BA style one from the friendly CQ next week. TBH I prefer the camelbak and it'll either be in my daysack or on my back if i'm not using the daysack. I'll keep one waterbottle in the bergen as back up. I'll keep an empty 2l ballygowan bottle in the bergen for resupply.

I've them bought now though! i'll be using them in other activities so its not money wasted for 1 ex a year.

I'd love a source, I'm actually thinking of investing in one - they aren't too dear from my last investigations and they are easier than the waterbottle. That said, I do find the waterbottles useful as you can easily get a good amount of fluids on board quickly as opposed to trying to drain the last few drops from a camelbak/source. What's the story when it's nearly empty, does the water still flow quite easily?

Comment

I'd love a source, I'm actually thinking of investing in one - they aren't too dear from my last investigations and they are easier than the waterbottle. That said, I do find the waterbottles useful as you can easily get a good amount of fluids on board quickly as opposed to trying to drain the last few drops from a camelbak/source. What's the story when it's nearly empty, does the water still flow quite easily?
                      Its a source I have actually, got it from the store here I think. With a water bladder you shouldn't need to get fluids on board quickly as you can keep drinking small amounts all day...its just way less hassle than getting the water bottle out of the pouch opening it and the reversing the process. It flows pretty easily most of the time, it'll slow down a bit when its nearly empty. Its a vacuum so you should get nearly all the water back out of it. Camelbaks might be faster, cant compare it really as my camelbak burst on my back a few years back!
                      Last edited by The real Jack; 3 August 2012, 23:29.

Comment

Its a source I have actually, got it from the store here I think. With a water bladder you shouldn't need to get fluids on board quickly as you can keep drinking small amounts all day...its just way less hassle than getting the water bottle out of the pouch opening it and the reversing the process. It flows pretty easily most of the time, it'll slow down a bit when its nearly empty. Camelbaks might be faster, cant compare it really as my camelbak burst on my back a few years back!

Chief reason I'm after a source tbh.

Comment

Chief reason I'm after a source tbh.
                          I believe S&S had a similar incident with a source.

Comment

• I did indeed, the source bladder is sturdy, but it was the hose that broke on me at the connection with the bladder. Luckily I had a bottle of powerade to see me through the day.
                            Another advantage of the Camelbak, (I'm not sute about Source) is that the interior of the bladder is lined so as not to make that sloshing sound that you'd get with a half empty water bottle. In case you were looking for a tactical incentive to switch up.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                              Another advantage of the Camelbak, (I'm not sute about Source) is that the interior of the bladder is lined so as not to make that sloshing sound
                              I don't think its anything to do with any lining...there's a vacum...same in source and platypus!

Comment

• Squeeze all the air out of it when you fill it - as long as you don't blow air back up the tube when you drink, there won't be any space for the water to slosh around in.
                                "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Working...
                                X