This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by greyfox View Post
    i gave up using mess tins a few years back and replaced it with a metal mug smaller and as useful and will fit on the bottom of a US water bottle , for when you get hot locks a tip i heard and have yet to use is to get one of those tin foil baking trays like a Chinese comes in and squash it flat when you need it open it out it takes up less space then mess tin,
    I like that tip! Might have to go back to the drawing board with that one!
    I'm not a big fan of mess tins myself, but I've got them from my BA days, and I'm trying not to spend more money on Army-Barmy gear; or else the long-haired-general will have me lynched for not putting that money aside for our wedding!

Comment

• Check out the good tips thread

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
        I like that tip! Might have to go back to the drawing board with that one!
        I'm not a big fan of mess tins myself, but I've got them from my BA days, and I'm trying not to spend more money on Army-Barmy gear; or else the long-haired-general will have me lynched for not putting that money aside for our wedding!
        If you can get your hands on the "Crusader" metal mugs issued to both PDF and BA than you can ditch the mess tins. Crusader mugs can be used to brew up boil in the bags and the 58 pattern waterbottle is designed to fit into it. Very few PDF use mess tins anymore. And you can use 'em for stew/curry from hotlocks(norwegians) as well.
        Apods tip: Ziplocks bags can be used to line your mug when getting a container meal.No washing out after. Just bin the bag.:wink:
        Last edited by apod; 8 May 2010, 15:12.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• carry 2 bits of tin foil as well

1 can go on the bottom and keep the end clean from the flames of the hexi

the other can make a nice little lid and help heat water etc up a lot quicker
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
            If you can get your hands on the "Crusader" metal mugs issued to both PDF
            I'll just leave this here

Hedgie is totally right about the Tin Foil. That's how I do it too. Alot easier and faster than cleaning up after.

but this is definitely deviating into the Good Tips territory.
            I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

• One of the things that I liked about Chad, there wasn't many, was that you didn't need to cook your food. Just leave a ration pack on top of a rock for 15 minutes and when you came back it was cooked.

To cook noodles you cut a bottle in half, left about a quarter of it filled with water and poured the noodles in. Cover it up and 15 minutes later it would be cooked.
              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Now that you were wearing the IPLCS out on patrols in chad, without a smock, what did you end up carrying havoc?
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                  If you can get your hands on the "Crusader" metal mugs issued to both PDF and BA than you can ditch the mess tins.Crusader mugs can be used to brew up boil in the bags and the 58 pattern waterbottle is designed to fit into it.Vey few PDF use mess tins anymore.And you can use em for stew/curry from hotlocks(norwegians) as well.
                  Apods tip: Ziplocks bags can be used to line you mug when getting a container meal.No washing out after just bin the bag.:wink:
                  Jaysus, now I'm thinking I'll stick my jetboil in the webbing (which fits better anyway) and use Greyfox's tip of one or two collapsed tin foil tubs for hot-locks meals. In the meantime, just in case, I'll leave the mess tins in the front pouch of my bergan, until such time i pick up a crusader mug.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                    Jaysus, now I'm thinking I'll stick my jetboil in the webbing (which fits better anyway) and use Greyfox's tip of one or two collapsed tin foil tubs for hot-locks meals. In the meantime, just in case, I'll leave the mess tins in the front pouch of my bergan, until such time i pick up a crusader mug.
                    I hate that phrase. Start putting in things "just in case" and it leads to more things "Just in case" which leads to an extremely Heavy Bergan.

The Mugs are probably the greatest thing I have ever come across though. Noodles make perfectly with a small amount of water, and none of it wasted.
                    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

• "Every soldier should carry an axe lest he may need to break down a door....."

(Just in case, from hundreds of years ago)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        "Every soldier should carry an axe lest he may need to break down a door....."

(Just in case, from hundreds of years ago)
                        I prefer explosives, failing that use the biggest guy in your section
                        Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• Hooligan tool in an assault pack works quite well
                          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                            I hate that phrase. Start putting in things "just in case" and it leads to more things "Just in case" which leads to an extremely Heavy Bergan.

The Mugs are probably the greatest thing I have ever come across though. Noodles make perfectly with a small amount of water, and none of it wasted.
                            Oh believe me Dazzler, I take a lot of time, pride and tend to be very stringent when it comes to packing my kit; and for all intents and purposes a Jetboil PCS, tinfoil tub and Crusader mug (when I get around to getting one) is more than adequate for me. But summer camp is the second part of my 2 star training, and so "just in case" I'm landed with a head the ball cpl/pl sgt who insists that I eat with the same utensils as everyone else for the sake of uniformity, I'll keep my mess tins in my bergan. Besides, I dunno how heavy the issued sleeping bags are, but mine's nicely small and lightweight without compromising too much on warmth; so where I'm saving in some areas, I can afford to carry a little extra in others.

Once I've got the 3 stars on my chest, I'll be a lot more confident to pack (or not pack) what I feel is most combat effective.
                            Last edited by SwiftandSure; 8 June 2009, 21:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                              Hooligan tool in an assault pack works quite well
                              There expensive though. A inexpensive sledge hammer or anything from the surrounding houses to use as such.
                              Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• Putting on a backpack

How to put on a backpack without injuring your back

Ali from fitclimb.com demonstrates the proper way to put on a heavy backpack.
                                I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Working...
                                X