Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O'Dea denies Lebanon report

O'Dea denies Lebanon report

Tom BradySecurity EditorDEFENCE Minister Willie O'Dea has dismissed a report on Lebanese television that an Irish soldier fought alongside the Israeli forces in the summer clashes with Hizbollah.

The station, Al Manar, is owned and controlled by Hizbollah and based its report on the discovery of an identity card belonging to an Irish soldier in a part of south Lebanon recently vacated by the Israelis.

But the minister said yesterday there was no information available to the military authorities to substantiate the claim.

He could state categorically, he added, that no member of the Defence Forces was fighting alongside the Israelis and the person, whose ID card was found, was still a member of the Defence Forces and was not in Lebanon during the recent conflict.

Mr O'Dea disclosed that the soldier had serving with the UNIFIL peace mission in south Lebanon in 1997 and was part of a unit engaged in mine clearing duties outside a village close to one of the outposts manned by the then South Lebanon Army, which supported the Israelis.

A soldier was injured and his trousers were cut to facilitate medical treatment. As a result, his wallet containing an ID card fell out and was lost.

Mr O'Dea said he had no details on how the card was found nine years later.

weird:confused:
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Was the wallet found?

Comment

It was handed into the local garda station, but there was no cash in it.
      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

I wonder which Lebanese channel broadcast this? The Hezbollah station perhaps?
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Er, yeah:
          The station, Al Manar, is owned and controlled by Hizbollah and based its report on the discovery of an identity card belonging to an Irish soldier in a part of south Lebanon recently vacated by the Israelis.
          This was young Gary Maloney, happened on the 81st Batt, I think. I remember it being on the news around the time I was in the process of enlisting.

Comment

Was he the guy who lost the leg and a bit? Mate of mine was less seriously injured in same blast.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Parts View Post
                Er, yeah:
                D'oh! I somehow missed that bit of the article.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I don't like this. On its own, it's perfectly harmless. But should any Irish soldier come in the ire of the militants, they'll point to this as another reason why "The Irish are infidel!"

It's little things like this which build up into an incident.
                  If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

This story was reported in the papers a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      This story was reported in the papers a month ago.
                      that particular artcle was in the indo on Friday
                      Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Working...
                      X