Why the Reserve is imploding (Rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Reserve is imploding (Rant)

Last year, on Oct 1, the FCA ceased to exist and the Army reserve came into being. Things would improve.... so I was told.... and training would get better.

But my rant is not about this. Instead I am ranting about the fact that despite the re-org, we are all still watching our own asses and protecting our own Kingdoms.

My unit was recruiting in UL today at a big careers fair. It is the culmination of several weeks of recruiting. There is one outstanding fact that has existed throughout this process. We were constantly meeting people who were in the Reserve and studying in Limerick.

BUT when they had enquired with their own unit if it was possible to continue training with a Unit near their college, they have, by and large, been told a big emphatic NO!

Now these people then go off to College, begin to loose interest and eventually leave the Reserve.

So I appeal to all units..... plead..... For Gods sake please leave your college students train in units near their college. We won't steal them, we will train them, and they will hopefully stay in the Reserve. By saying no, we are all losing them.
    IT IS HARD ENOUGH TO GET RECRUITS WITHOUT WASTING THEM LIKE THIS!

We are all on the same side

Rant over!!!

Couldn't agree more with you Doc. Some people seem to forget that their recruits did not swear an oath specifically to the sub-unit they joined.

Comment

yet, when we go recruiting in limerick, we come up against other units mouthing off because apparently we're not allowed recruit, only they are.
      Ack ack ack ack ack..Kaboom!! hooray!!!! arrrrrr....
      Pedro lacks political experience

Comment

My company has 3 personnel detached to units in Waterford, Limerick and Athlone.

Comment

FFS this is only "going on attachment" and while not without paperwork certainly requires HQ wallahs to painfully remove the offending digit from the digestive tract and do some communications.

Sadly this onerous and fraught task seems to be beyond many of our REMFs
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            FFS this is only "going on attachment" and while not without paperwork certainly requires HQ wallahs to painfully remove the offending digit from the digestive tract and do some communications.

Sadly this onerous and fraught task seems to be beyond many of our REMFs
            I've seen in the past that units are reluctant to allow personnel to go "on attachment",
            becuae that individual would still hold down an appointment in the parent unit.

Example:
            A 2 E Bde member of the RDF is studying in the S Bde area, e.g; a Cpl.
            He/She applies to go on attachment to the relevant unit in the S Bde area.
            The parent unit will refuse, on the grounds that Cpl Bloggs is holding
            down a Cpl appt in his/her parent unit, which could be gainfully be filled
            by a parading member of the unit....
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Doc, if it's a consolation, they're playing those same manpower games here in the CalGuard. We've got people on the books holding up slots for promotions and whatever just because someone up higher doesn't want their overall manpower levels to drop because it looks bad. We're trying to kick people out (Drug tests, or whatever), and the bean-counters won't let us.

The distance thing is a different option entirely, and just comes down to how dedicated someone is. My training this weekend was 370 miles from my house.

Out of interest, what stops someone training with a Limerick unit even if the Dublin (or whatever) unit says 'no'?

NTM
              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post

Out of interest, what stops someone training with a Limerick unit even if the Dublin (or whatever) unit says 'no'?

NTM
                Are they insured to be in the barracks if they're not legitimately training with a unit in that barracks??? If not that would put a stop to them training.
                Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

Sure if they want they can transfer totally, since they'll be here for next 4 years at least...
                  Ack ack ack ack ack..Kaboom!! hooray!!!! arrrrrr....
                  Pedro lacks political experience

Comment

Do as I do. Train with the unit in the University area, then when back home train with your original unit. Keep your position in the original unit, and don't even hint at transfer paperwork. Works fine for me. My skill set are maintained through regular parade nights and, if I stay up for the weekend, any field days also. When I go back during the summer, I'm still up to standard with training and can slot into Camps, Excercise etc easily with my oroginal unit. Best of both worlds.
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

But I'd advise you to ensure the unit you are parading with informs your home unit of the hours you are putting in - to make sure you aren't posted non-effective or discharged.

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention that. Be on good terms with a Lt in both units. Keep everyone informed and you cant go wrong. Anyway more often than not I'm training with the University during the week and then on the weekend, usually on an ex with the parent unit. case in point Few weeks ago, Weapons training at parade night 32Bn, that Sunday HMG shoot with 34Bn. All good
                        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ackack View Post
                          Are they insured to be in the barracks if they're not legitimately training with a unit in that barracks???
                          Insurance... no such thing in the army despite what many people say. Next time someone mentions it, ask what insurance company insures the DF?

Comment

I did exactly what Zulu said a while back, working far from my home unit, if anything, the parent units should be pushing this activity, as it's a chance to train with a unit that has a different speciality, sigs, Med, Inf, FAR, Ad etc, and bring thoes skills back to their home unit when they train with them
                            it was broken when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by ackack View Post
                              Are they insured to be in the barracks if they're not legitimately training with a unit in that barracks??? If not that would put a stop to them training.
                              DON'T start me on that insurance rubbish again!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X