Confidence training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidence training

Could anyone tell me about the confidence training instructors course.
    Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

what do you want to know
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Whats involved? what activities are covered?

Comment

Thinks like working with ropes (abseiling, rock climbing, etc). A month (more of less) long course.

Comment

Obviously working at heights so.

And qualified to instruct at those activites after? No restrictions?

Comment

Dev is correct..Excellent cse and open to all ranks..

You are taught all types of rope Knots and learn how to set up abseils and learn how to lead and second rock climbing..

if you pass that phase you move on to learning how to set up rope slides/rat slides..troll and traverse..

CTI 1..(less than 12 months experience)qualifies you in setting up the systems and dispatch students under supervision from CTI 2's.

CTI 2..(more than 12 months experience) qualifies you in all of the above and no supervision required and permitted to teach/bring students abseiling/climbing.

CTI 3..A civvies Qual is required to go for CTI 3 and you are then qualified as an CTI assessor

I hope to be going for CTI 2 some time this year..(course hasn't been published yet)
            Last edited by Craghopper; 19 April 2007, 01:23.

Comment

Spent the past few hours teaching my self the basics of abseiling (equipment, knots, rigs etc). Have a carbiner and fig-8 (20 euro only!)

So far mastered rigging a single and double line rig with fig-8 and gate carbiner as well as a leg lock off.

Made a rope harness and have been practising off the open stairs that we have (although the maximum height I'm willing to go at the moment is 2 feet! LOL)

Whats the story with regulations in regards abseiling in Ireland? What tests, certs do you have to get to be covered in case of accident in civi land?
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Try and contact the climbing club in UCC....I think they run courses
                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

SPA, or single pitch award. thats the Civvie equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                    Spent the past few hours teaching my self the basics of abseiling (equipment, knots, rigs etc). Have a carbiner and fig-8 (20 euro only!)

So far mastered rigging a single and double line rig with fig-8 and gate carbiner as well as a leg lock off.

Made a rope harness and have been practising off the open stairs that we have (although the maximum height I'm willing to go at the moment is 2 feet! LOL)

Whats the story with regulations in regards abseiling in Ireland? What tests, certs do you have to get to be covered in case of accident in civi land?
                    What kind of cover do you mean, for teaching orthers or just your self?

MCI (http://www.mountaineering.ie/) cover all the civvi qualifications and do insurance AFAIK but its been a few years since I was well versed. I did a lot in my late teens early twenties and instructed in a well known adventure centre (without any qualifactuions!!). Leaned alot from from some very talented people. The basics like top ropeing, single pitch seconding and leading are very easy to learn IMHO. The more advanced stuff such as multi-pitch and emergency actions like escaping the sytem are tougher and need alot of practice.

The RCL courses cover a houge amount but your supposed have experince before going on them.

Buidling up the equipment can be done over time, I would suggest a real harness instead of making one for comfort and safety. I have a set of nuts. peanuts, hex's, rope, crabs, belay device (tuber), harness, climbing shoes, slings etc bought over a couple of years. Thats more then enough for single pitch. Great outdoors have a fantasic selction and give 10% off to Army. Some good deals to be had online as well.

Helmet is a must, friend of mine got smacke don the head by rock that the rope knocked lose while abseiling down a sea cliff. No helmet, luckily I was at the bottem already (wearing the only helmet) and there was a route to walk him back up. Lots of stiches later he was grand.

Dalkey Quarry is a great place to learn, bit far from Cork obviously. Climbers are a funny buch and they look down on abseiling. In Dalkey you could find your ropes cut for abseiling on the wrong climb/rock face! I've had stuff thrown down on top of me, probably locals pissed off at climbers.
                    Last edited by Muzzle; 30 March 2008, 17:29.

Comment

Working...
                    X