Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Routes to becoming an Officer for Privates?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
    10 POC was supposed to start in circa 2015 or so. DOD were dragging their feet about the T&C despite a lotnof pushing from J1. They only got agreement on the T&C at the end of 2017 and competition was run in 2018.

    I would like to see them run every few years and have it as a viable career path rather than someone be lucky to meet the criteria when one is advertised
    Army logic (including DoD in that)

    The biggest cadet classes in the history of the State, shortages of officers in units, more and more taskings, UCAS, etc etc

    Were the public service career breaks also actively encouraged in the DF ?




    Now having said that the NCO rank loses some very capable experienced NCOs but it hopefully makes the DF a better place

    Comment


    • #32
      Not actively encouraged but facilitated more often than maybe previously

      Comment


      • #33
        If an enlisted member got accepted onto a cadetship would they have to do the whole 15 months of officer training or would they enter at a later stage because of their previous military experience?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Gribben View Post
          If an enlisted member got accepted onto a cadetship would they have to do the whole 15 months of officer training or would they enter at a later stage because of their previous military experience?
          Exactly the same cadetship (ie 15 months)

          Comment


          • #35
            Out of curiosity in terms of enlisted and commissioned personnel how long do they have to wait to serve overseas?

            I spoke to a serving officer about joining last week and he told me he waited 8 or 9 years to get the chance.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Gribben View Post
              Out of curiosity in terms of enlisted and commissioned personnel how long do they have to wait to serve overseas?

              I spoke to a serving officer about joining last week and he told me he waited 8 or 9 years to get the chance.
              It really depends on unit and Corps. In the Infantry, the largest Corps, it's about 3-5 years for a Private. For a Lieutenant, it's about 5-7 years.

              This will also depend on the number of troops overseas, there will be an increase from November so waiting time will reduce.

              Getting the first trip isn't a problem, its the second trip for a Private that is almost impossible to get unless your a cook or Mowag crewman.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                It really depends on unit and Corps. In the Infantry, the largest Corps, it's about 3-5 years for a Private. For a Lieutenant, it's about 5-7 years.

                This will also depend on the number of troops overseas, there will be an increase from November so waiting time will reduce.

                Getting the first trip isn't a problem, its the second trip for a Private that is almost impossible to get unless your a cook or Mowag crewman.
                Does this not make it difficult for privates to extend their service even when promoted to Corporal? I thought they had to have more than one tour under the belt in their first enlistment?

                Or is it different in practice?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                  Does this not make it difficult for privates to extend their service even when promoted to Corporal? I thought they had to have more than one tour under the belt in their first enlistment?

                  Or is it different in practice?
                  The requirement for an overseas trip for Extension of Service is impossible for most to achieve as there is not enough overseas trips, so it is ignored. The average is about one trip in 9 years.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Extension of Service is impossible for most to achieve as there is not enough overseas trips, so it is ignored. The average is about one trip in 9 years.
                    If you are in certain corps, though, your chance is much higher I would presume.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

                    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Gribben View Post
                      Out of curiosity in terms of enlisted and commissioned personnel how long do they have to wait to serve overseas?

                      I spoke to a serving officer about joining last week and he told me he waited 8 or 9 years to get the chance.
                      There are officers going overseas next trip that were commissioned last year. It all depends on the needs of the service.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I know of one Non infantry officer who couldnt get an overseas trip until a Captain vacancy came up. Even then, the mission was scrubbed.
                        German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
                        German 2: Private? I am a general!
                        German 1: That is the bad news.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          What corps are they in?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X