Replacement NSR Launch / New NS Port Security Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see any radar reflector....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Maybe thats just the point!!!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        Maybe thats just the point!!!
        Just below the radar!

Comment

• Seen...
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Aha.
            Not the best location at all.
            Saw the usual arrangement for the current foreign visit in Cobh this evening, and I thought it would be far easier and more comfortable for those involved if they had a craft more like one seen above to do their task.
            Last edited by Goldie fish; 3 October 2007, 21:54.

Comment

• The Orca Class recently introduced into Canadian service

Dimensions: 33.0 m long x 8.34 m beam x 2.0 m draught
              Displacement: 210 tonnes ( full load )
              Powerplant:
              2 x Caterpillar 3516B diesels 1,860kW ( 2,500 hp )
              2 x shafts driving twin propellers (120cm diameter)
              Complement: 4 crew plus 16 trainees (+ 4 spare berths)
              Max. Speed: 18 knots ( km/h), 15 knots ( km/h) cruising speed
              Armament: Optional 12.7mm (.50-cal.) M2HB machinegun(s)

Comment

• nice!! kinda looks like an MTB
                There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

• improved Orcas?

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  The Orca Class recently introduced into Canadian service

Dimensions: 33.0 m long x 8.34 m beam x 2.0 m draught
                  Displacement: 210 tonnes ( full load )
                  Powerplant:
                  2 x Caterpillar 3516B diesels 1,860kW ( 2,500 hp )
                  2 x shafts driving twin propellers (120cm diameter)
                  Complement: 4 crew plus 16 trainees (+ 4 spare berths)
                  Max. Speed: 18 knots ( km/h), 15 knots ( km/h) cruising speed
                  Armament: Optional 12.7mm (.50-cal.) M2HB machinegun(s)

Something along these lines would be very desirable for the NS/NSR. Given that they cost approx. €10 million each, a flotilla of 4 ships - built up by buying one each year for four successive years? - would provide an affordable, cost-effective training facility.

But perhaps they could be improved upon, and thus provide greater effectiveness? They have a very limited range/endurance - only a few days at most. Fine if they were to be used exclusively for training, but if the training could be combined with a coastal patrol function, they would be much more useful to the nation. However they would then need at least double their current endurance.

IMHO, a flotilla of coastal patrol/training vessels would be even more useful if they also had a Mine Counter Measures (MCM) capability, thus filling a gap in the nation's defences and the Naval Service's capabilities.

Comment

• NSR Launch

Lads,

Owing to the reduced public finances and general economic out look , the NSR can forget about any Launches for years if not forever.

We have just come through a massive boom period and the Goverment have effectively refused to spend less than €2 million on any sort of new boat programme for the NSR.

With a total capital budget of a paltry €30 million for the entire DF year in and year out, there is no way the DF is going to go out and spend €1 million a boat for the Sluggies.

Only when there is a radical increase in DF spending will the NSR get a launch and that is not going to happen any decade soon.

I suggest that this thread be closed as it annoys me intensly.

Comment

• I wouldn't be too sure about that BB.....The NSR are going to get one vessel...may not be the best of situations but one is better than nil.

Has been put forward where such a vessel could be interoperated by both the NS and the NSR and under the proposed circumsatnces there is an actual requirement.....its going to happen soon enough...could be even part of some package involving the new OPV's

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitter Boy View Post
                        Lads,

Owing to the reduced public finances and general economic out look , the NSR can forget about any Launches for years if not forever.

We have just come through a massive boom period and the Goverment have effectively refused to spend less than €2 million on any sort of new boat programme for the NSR.

With a total capital budget of a paltry €30 million for the entire DF year in and year out, there is no way the DF is going to go out and spend €1 million a boat for the Sluggies.

Only when there is a radical increase in DF spending will the NSR get a launch and that is not going to happen any decade soon.

Just a comment: there are two ways to increase the capital budget:
                        1. The Government allocates more money.
                        2. The €1 billion+ annual Defence budget is rebalanced between current and capital expenditure. (If the capital budget is only €30 million, or 3% of the total, that is seriously imbalanced. It should be 70:30 or better.) Reduce day-to-day spending on the understanding that the savings will be used for the acquisition of new equipment. Of course the principal component of current expediture is salaries and other personnel-related costs, so if you want to generate serious funding for new equipment within the current budgetary limits, it probably means reducing personnel numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitter Boy View Post
                          Lads,

Then don't read it 'o' font of wisdom.
                          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                            Then don't read it 'o' font of wisdom.
                            Fair enough.

You all continue to engage the fantasy and I shall avert my eyes!

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              I wouldn't be too sure about that BB.....The NSR are going to get one vessel...may not be the best of situations but one is better than nil.

Has been put forward where such a vessel could be interoperated by both the NS and the NSR and under the proposed circumsatnces there is an actual requirement.....its going to happen soon enough...could be even part of some package involving the new OPV's
                              eithne in dry dock in verlome.. will that be the last ship there as we hear the dockyard is for sale any one got info on this and if this is true where will our ( warships) i love that word,, go to drydock now

Comment

• I have not heard it is for sale, however I can see it ending its life as a dockyard if the Container port isn't moved to Ringaskiddy. That site would be one of the alternatives.
                                The large crane next to the drydock is currently out of action. If its not maintained it will go the same as the other inactive cranes down there. Scrap.

Comment

Working...
                                X