No announcement yet.

Replacement NSR Launch / New NS Port Security Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we get anything remotely like whats proposed, you won't be long spilling your G&T.
    There was an element for years that saw the NSR as some form of sailing club. Like the Tea Drinkers of the army reserve, these folk wouldn't be seen dead in a drysuit, because it would hide the shoulder boards when they needed to visit the local YC for the inevitable "debrief". Spending weekends on ageing STYs marshalling the local regatta was their idea of Naval activity.
    If it works out as is hoped, the Naval Reserve will have to get in early to book time with the craft, such will be the usage from other Naval Units.
    I too am optimistic about this asset.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

Going by the dimensions in the tender, and from witnessing one of the potential builders delivering his finished product, it's worth remembering that these are considered oversize loads, and require special permits from AGS to travel.
      However that does not prevent them being brought together by sea, either under their own power, or as deck cargo.
      Use WHITTEN's or KENNEDY's Boat Haulage to get them together the rest is paperwork. By sea is possible with a fixed weather window.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post

Use WHITTEN's or KENNEDY's Boat Haulage to get them together the rest is paperwork. By sea is possible with a fixed weather window.
        I have seen SMK of Banaher also being used here transporting 17m GRP launches. SHould be something a military unit is capable of though, but that's a horse for a different race.
        P31 has a former helideck that could easily accommodate a motor launch at 15m LOA x 6m Beam. Engineers already cleared the helideck to carry 8x TEU, 2 wide 2 long and 2 high, but it was never put into practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post

Weather window in the spring/summer should allow at least 3 to RV on the east coast. I remember in the 2000s 3 of the current boats operating off Arklow.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

Weather window in the spring/summer should allow at least 3 to RV on the east coast. I remember in the 2000s 3 of the current boats operating off Arklow.
            Keyword "Should". Serious surf up the Lee yesterday, even the Rig support vessel was struggling. May FFS! Sea state 5 in Lough Mahon.

Comment

• Three new Draft NSR "Motor Launch" training syllabi popped up on the newsfeed on Ikon yesterday. Looks like they are getting ready for them. No mention of Gunnery on them though which is unusual as I believe the spec allowed for the vessels to mount weapons as required.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Odd to be writing a TI before they type of vessel is even selected. Closing date was just yesterday. I assume standstill period now for next few weeks before any assessment of responses.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                  Three new Draft NSR "Motor Launch" training syllabi popped up on the newsfeed on Ikon yesterday. Looks like they are getting ready for them. No mention of Gunnery on them though which is unusual as I believe the spec allowed for the vessels to mount weapons as required.
                  I would love to have a look at those. I guess I'll have to wait until the boats come!

Comment

Odd to be writing a TI before they type of vessel is even selected. Closing date was just yesterday. I assume standstill period now for next few weeks before any assessment of responses.
                    You cannot produce a training manual for a vessel per se, more likely operational instructions with sequential steps for getting underweigh and shutting down. Daily checks and a certain amount of how to switch on Radar, Radios, heating, refrigeration, pumps, auto/manual bilge pumps etc. The boat should have a Central Management system with displays and SWx's on the Console for those in charge. Instructions for house keeping matters such as taking fuel. fresh water, getting rid of waste liquids and solids. A bit like your car manual. Training in" how to "will be relevant and must be acquired initially by the regular service, however if the vessels are having a standby oversight need, during construction, then each boat should have NSR personnel in the Standby group. Suitable points for HMG and LMGs must be provided for.
                    Last edited by ancientmariner; 21 May 2021, 19:41.

Comment

• Anything stirring?
                      Clock is ticking surely?

Comment

Anything stirring?
                        Clock is ticking surely?
                        Not entirely disconnected but just saw on Facebook a patented dock and recovery system for ribs used by NSR. It's of floatable interlocking modules, fitted with roller channels and winches to take two RHIB's. Where are they, and are they permanently rigged. Great bit of kit, adds to Coxswain skills.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	214801262_4104077086341823_5742675076449730076_n.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	727658

I think this is what AM is talking about

Comment

• Photo is taken in Kilrush, where the Limerick Unit do much of their training.
                            River Shannon - Google Maps
                            Many marinas, where rib use is popular have slips like these. The Coast Guard unit in Crosshaven have had one in the RCYC for some time.
                            I think I saw one in the Basin at Haulbowline too?

Comment

• 2 months...anything popping?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
                                2 months...anything popping?
                                Well Safehaven posted last night about their full order book and they just secured a contract for a 15 M Pilot vessel for delivery in August 2022. At this stage the requested 2021 delivery timeline is becoming unlikely, regardless of builder. GRP doesn't cure overnight.
                                https://www.facebook.com/safehavenma...58827397521523

Comment

Working...
                                X