Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement NSR Launch / New NS Port Security Launches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
    You'd think the NSR would have their own instructor at this stage and not have to use NS Lts who are not at full strength. The NSR Lt Cdr's are surely qualified enough, having their own launches for years.
    The instructor in that photo is NSR.

    Comment


    • My bad, great to see, the mistake then was not crediting him with his unit. Hence my little rant.

      Comment


      • How is he qualified, is it via Navy qual or civi qual. Curious to see which way if anyone know.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
          How is he qualified, is it via Navy qual or civi qual. Curious to see which way if anyone know.
          AFAIK he's a deck officer on Irish Sea ferry. Would only be instructing on navigation and boat handling, no Naval specific i.e. gunnery etc. Just hope the NSR contribute something with the new launches. Part time Inshore FP could def be a role for them. No weapons etc required.

          Comment


          • The officer in question is a training captain with P and O ferries and is a ferry captain.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by popeye View Post
              The officer in question is a training captain with P and O ferries and is a ferry captain.
              Good knowledge of routine traffic so on ferry routes. Could be useful in intel gathering.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

                Good knowledge of routine traffic so on ferry routes. Could be useful in intel gathering.
                when god gives you lemons…….,,,,
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

                Comment


                • Former president of the Institute of Master mariners too, unless I'm mistaken. And to think the Air Defence Regt were hiding him away for years.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                    My bad, great to see, the mistake then was not crediting him with his unit. Hence my little rant.
                    Ah fair enough. He's part of the NSR Technical Support Unit. I'm not sure if he's linked to another unit too.

                    Comment


                    • "Technical support unit" is that for people with maritime skill sets only, how many are in it.?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                        "Technical support unit" is that for people with maritime skill sets only, how many are in it.?
                        They are all NSR tech personnel

                        and that would be restricted

                        Comment


                        • Found it, not very many at all, x nwc (?) + x medical officers so not very many. Would think that the Naval Service would expand it and pack it with technical staff that are leaving in their droves.

                          MOD: I said it was restricted
                          Last edited by DeV; 20 November 2022, 02:35.

                          Comment


                          • Sorry copy I have is old and no sec rating, given it on a training night a number years ago.

                            Does anyone know if you can go straight into 2nd line technical support unit from PDF and hold your rank.
                            If yes it makes real sense to open the technical support unit up more and allow retiring navy to join.
                            i know Officers cant, we had a guy retiring and wanting to come into the ar unit but reps tried to block it due to up coming promotions. GOC was a bit surprised that they raised it with him in that manner.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                              Sorry copy I have is old and no sec rating, given it on a training night a number years ago.

                              Does anyone know if you can go straight into 2nd line technical support unit from PDF and hold your rank.
                              If yes it makes real sense to open the technical support unit up more and allow retiring navy to join.
                              i know Officers cant, we had a guy retiring and wanting to come into the ar unit but reps tried to block it due to up coming promotions. GOC was a bit surprised that they raised it with him in that manner.
                              Struggling to see the relevance your query has to the topic of the post to be honest. What is it about the Army that they want to make everything about them?
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

                              Comment


                              • In very short, I think NSR should really only be made up of professional maritime qualified lads, where their civilian training can be directly used by the DF. In a way like doctors, dentists, nurses, CIS can be. Can't see why you need anything else. Then those new boats that are costing a lot of tax payers money would be professionally crewed and operated. In part, that would really support some of the points already raised in the topic of this thread. While any of us can get an ISA (sailing school) qual and very few if any ever fail those exams, if you are marine trained and qualified, you can directly assist the DF, diving groups, engineers boats and the navy. So not really just about the army is it. Its more holistic than just army.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X