• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Auldsod
    Sergeant Major

• Auldsod
    replied
    Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Deal has been done, I understand. Contract to be signed officially next week. Irish Based Builder, (but not Safehaven).
    Everyone impressed with proposed design.
    More to follow.
    I look forward to seeing the new design officially.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    Commander in Chief

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Deal has been done, I understand. Contract to be signed officially next week. Irish Based Builder, (but not Safehaven).
    Everyone impressed with proposed design.
    More to follow.

Leave a comment:

• ancientmariner
    Brigadier General

• ancientmariner
    replied
    Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    The deep V hull is better suited to high speed work, however the same company do a nice range of catmaran hulls which also nicely fit the bill and are more useful in the seaborne training, and other roles, such as providing a stable platform for diver support.
    Catamarans are less immersed then monohulls and can be giddy in approaching gale conditions according to googled information. The advice is watch the forecast and take avoiding action. In beam breaking seas they will surface slide sideways away from the breakers. Overall they may be more directionally challenged than monohulls and less synchronised with predictable movements.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    Commander in Chief

• na grohmiti
    replied
    The deep V hull is better suited to high speed work, however the same company do a nice range of catmaran hulls which also nicely fit the bill and are more useful in the seaborne training, and other roles, such as providing a stable platform for diver support.

Leave a comment:

• ancientmariner
    Brigadier General

• ancientmariner
    replied
    Originally posted by ias View Post
    If this is already posted apologies, I'm not sure it should even be here but may be of interest:

https://www.bairdmaritime.com/work-b...e-defense-usa/

I know the maximum speed is far more than 16Kts but to my untrained eye seems similar in spec to the our requirement.
    Due to speed and police/rescue style deployment the craft would be suitable for Coast Guard/ Customs/Police duties. The immediate naval requirement is to increase seaborne training for the reserve elements and dare I say potential ship handlers in the naval service itself. It's great to see SAFmarine on our own doorstep as a source of future craft. We also should sit up and plan for future Defence of Ireland by the whole of our Defence Forces. There are many gaps to be filled in to meet standards built in to all other small European Forces. We cannot stay forever in Groundhog day and plan by reversion.

Leave a comment:

• ias
    replied
    If this is already posted apologies, I'm not sure it should even be here but may be of interest:

https://www.bairdmaritime.com/work-b...e-defense-usa/

I know the maximum speed is far more than 16Kts but to my untrained eye seems similar in spec to the our requirement.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    Commander in Chief

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
    I think its taking to long and that there must be an issue. The contract has not been awarded and its will take a year or more to build is my guess, how many NSR will be left a that time, theres what <100 effective left. If you were DOD would spend millions on them if the numbers continue to get lower or would you use that to stall it further only reinforce not getting them. May be reduce the order from 4 to 2, that would tick some boxes.
    Way off the mark in every regard there. While the boats would be used by the NSR, they were never intended exclusively for their use. If you can find anything anywhere on the tender documents where mention of the reserve is seen, you can show me.

Leave a comment:

• ancientmariner
    Brigadier General

• ancientmariner
    replied
    I think its taking to long and that there must be an issue. The contract has not been awarded and its will take a year or more to build is my guess, how many NSR will be left a that time, theres what <100 effective left. If you were DOD would spend millions on them if the numbers continue to get lower or would you use that to stall it further only reinforce not getting them. May be reduce the order from 4 to 2, that would tick some boxes.
    Acquiring things at a national level has always been a hapless event, except in the case of the first OPV's ,largely funded by the EU for FP. The cost of 4 x 15m boats to highest standard should come in less than 10m euro. We should get 6 and allocate 2 to the naval Base for training for NS/NSR, otherwise there will be a hole in the knowledge train, assigning responsibility to personnel that never walked the deck of such a boat. The numbers of personnel are lower because the Depts responsible designed it so in the FEMPI era. The current advertisement regime is a waste of time and the interview system is way over egged and too pretentious. A war would be lost if all recruiting was run in the current fashion.

Leave a comment:

• batterysgt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    Commander in Chief

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Strange it has not been awarded yet. Has something gone wrong. Has the funding been withdrawn?
    No, No and No.
    These thing take time.

Leave a comment:

• batterysgt
    replied
    Strange it has not been awarded yet. Has something gone wrong. Has the funding been withdrawn?

Leave a comment:

• ancientmariner
    Brigadier General

• ancientmariner
    replied
    The proZero boat may be overdesigned on speed. The cabin roof line of open vents facing forward could be a problem in shipped seas. The integrated manoeuvring system is an asset to any ship size.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    Commander in Chief

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Completely unrelated to the current tender, this popped into my google search for "15 m motor launch" today.
    15M FR WORKBOAT – Prozero

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    Commander in Chief

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
    2 months...anything popping?
    Well Safehaven posted last night about their full order book and they just secured a contract for a 15 M Pilot vessel for delivery in August 2022. At this stage the requested 2021 delivery timeline is becoming unlikely, regardless of builder. GRP doesn't cure overnight.
    https://www.facebook.com/safehavenma...58827397521523

Leave a comment:

• Rocinante
    replied
    2 months...anything popping?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X