• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    €2.6 m

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

€2.6 m
      €650000 per boat is a bargain. FM Marine build excellent boats, this is one of their craft, is use bringing tourists out to the Skelligs.

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Great to see this contract being awarded, all the best to crew and maintain them into the future. I might have missed it, but was a specific FM Marine vessel chosen, or will it be a modification of one of their existing designs?

Comment

• I believe there will be a public announcement soon.

Comment

• This news should should make the Russians change their plans .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• A contract for four new multi-purpose motor launches for the Naval Service Reserve is due for completion but a lack of personnel may see them not even used.

Comment

• With 2 years, if there was a recruitment drive would that likely make up the shortfall of NSR crew? Interesting to see the comment regard the Lake class still being worked on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post

With 2 years, if there was a recruitment drive would that likely make up the shortfall of NSR crew? Interesting to see the comment regard the Lake class still being worked on.
                  Could go a good way to sorting it within 2 years…. If DoD and the DF wanted to

Comment

• Someone needs to cop on. The boats have a crew of 3, max 6...

Comment

Someone needs to cop on. The boats have a crew of 3, max 6...
                      Fair point but if the boats were required to provide extended coverage over days/weeks (unlikely I know), there would be more numbers required plus support staff, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post

Fair point but if the boats were required to provide extended coverage over days/weeks (unlikely I know), there would be more numbers required plus support staff, etc.
                        Yes, but the first boat not delivered until next year, and at least one a year after that, are we really saying the CoDF will not have succeeded in improving things by 2027, when all 4 are in the water?
                        How many support staff are required to keep a 15m motor launch afloat? How do fishermen manage?
                        We seem to be creating barriers for ourselves here!

Comment

Yes, but the first boat not delivered until next year, and at least one a year after that, are we really saying the CoDF will not have succeeded in improving things by 2027, when all 4 are in the water?
                          How many support staff are required to keep a 15m motor launch afloat? How do fishermen manage?
                          We seem to be creating barriers for ourselves here!
                          I think we are in broad agreement but there does always need to be additional 'fat' on a reserve unit as there won't always be availability from everyone or they could be off doing their own career course or assisting with recruit training. Of course it doesn't require that much staff but there would be a need for transport etc.

Of course we shouldn't be creating barriers but creating an impression that each unit only needs to be a half dozen strong to maintain a boat is also misleading (I know that's not what you were implying of course).

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post

I think we are in broad agreement but there does always need to be additional 'fat' on a reserve unit as there won't always be availability from everyone or they could be off doing their own career course or assisting with recruit training. Of course it doesn't require that much staff but there would be a need for transport etc.

Of course we shouldn't be creating barriers but creating an impression that each unit only needs to be a half dozen strong to maintain a boat is also misleading (I know that's not what you were implying of course).
                            The Navy will maintain the boats. The NSR are Seamen only so no engineering/technical personell.

Even if they have external skills, unless recognised internally by the DF the, will not be able to carry out repairs/technical maintainance on the launches.

All they will be doing is day trips and the odd weekend.

Thereasoning for providing mounts etc is for a security function for the likes of visiting warship security etc.

In that case you would imagine a mixed NS/NSR crew to provide extended coverage over days as stated by by Auldsod.

The NSR have a small Cadre so that could be possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

The Navy will maintain the boats. The NSR are Seamen only so no engineering/technical personell.

Again, I agree with everything here but when I said 'maintain', I meant maintaining the resourcing the boats require to be manned and not the actual technical maintenance.

I hadn't though of additional security functions like for visiting warships. Food for thought.
                              Last edited by Auldsod; 3 February 2022, 18:31.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

Even if they have external skills, unless recognised internally by the DF the, will not be able to carry out repairs/technical maintainance on the launches.

All they will be doing is day trips and the odd weekend.

Thereasoning for providing mounts etc is for a security function for the likes of visiting warship security etc.

In that case you would imagine a mixed NS/NSR crew to provide extended coverage over days as stated by by Auldsod.

The NSR have a small Cadre so that could be possible.
                                So,if the slightest thing needs to be fixed on these boats, the users wont be able to repair them and must wait for the already hard pressed Naval tech to find the time to come and fix them?! Even if an NSR person is appropriately qualified? remind me what century this is, again?

Comment

Working...
                                X