Replacement NSR Launch / New NS Port Security Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post

So,if the slightest thing needs to be fixed on these boats, the users wont be able to repair them and must wait for the already hard pressed Naval tech to find the time to come and fix them?! Even if an NSR person is appropriately qualified? remind me what century this is, again?
    Individuals might be lucky in some units and get skills recognised

Comment

So,if the slightest thing needs to be fixed on these boats, the users wont be able to repair them and must wait for the already hard pressed Naval tech to find the time to come and fix them?! Even if an NSR person is appropriately qualified? remind me what century this is, again?
      There are no appointments for Mechs or any technicians in the NSR Orbat. You don't see civvy mechanics crawling over the engine of an Army lorry when it breaks down, do you? There are daily checks that the operator can do, there are other things best left to those trained to do them, particularly with watercraft.
      Its not a wheelbarrow you can whack with a hammer. I used to do my own motorbike servicing but I wouldnt touch a marine engine, petrol or diesel. Different system completely. Same with electrics. Leave it to the people trained to do so.Even using the wrong type of paint on a GRP boat can cause serious problems.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

There are no appointments for Mechs or any technicians in the NSR Orbat. You don't see civvy mechanics crawling over the engine of an Army lorry when it breaks down, do you? There are daily checks that the operator can do, there are other things best left to those trained to do them, particularly with watercraft.
        Its not a wheelbarrow you can whack with a hammer. I used to do my own motorbike servicing but I wouldnt touch a marine engine, petrol or diesel. Different system completely. Same with electrics. Leave it to the people trained to do so.Even using the wrong type of paint on a GRP boat can cause serious problems.
        At my unit's level, we have personnel who may have a mechanical background but none would go near a marine engine. They aren't qualified and even if they were, I'm sure there are procedures and standards on the base that need to be adhered to in any case. If there is ever an issue with a boat, it will get sorted by appropriate trained personnel.

Comment

• There were NS engineering personnel assigned to look after the launches maintainance and repairs. Any reported issues were rectified quickly and the availability of the lauches were quite good taking into account the age of them.

I would imagine that will be resumed once the launches are in service.

With them being newly built, hopefully the serviceability will be good.

The worry is that the use of the launches will be slim to none if the numbers are too low in the NSR.

I am hopeful that will not be the case and the introduction of the boats into service will swell the numbers of each unit.

Comment

• Maybe the NSR ORBAT needs looked at...there are bound to be Marine Engineers living / working in the catchment areas for recruiting to these units.

They could do the work on these vessels...with a bit of effort a targeted recruiting campaign might find some interested people.

Or contract it out to a civilian company...then full-time NS Engineers won't need to be diverted from their primary role...engineering support to make OPVs available for patrols.
            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

Read what I said again..."appropriately qualified". The NS is complaining continuously about a lack of skilled personnel/retention/ unable to sail vessels for lack of skilled techs, etc, etc. So, if they take on new small vessels, where will the techs come from to keep them serviced? In case you missed it, the Army do have civvy vehicle mechs and they can be seen in operation in Base Workshops countrywide. If the priority is generating sea time for first line ships, then NSR launches will take a back seat from the off,with regard to servicing and ongoing maintenance. I suspect a servicing contract with the manufacturer, like Pilatus, will have to be in place from the off.

Comment

Read what I said again..."appropriately qualified". The NS is complaining continuously about a lack of skilled personnel/retention/ unable to sail vessels for lack of skilled techs, etc, etc. So, if they take on new small vessels, where will the techs come from to keep them serviced? In case you missed it, the Army do have civvy vehicle mechs and they can be seen in operation in Base Workshops countrywide. If the priority is generating sea time for first line ships, then NSR launches will take a back seat from the off,with regard to servicing and ongoing maintenance. I suspect a servicing contract with the manufacturer, like Pilatus, will have to be in place from the off.
                Recruit FLR into AR & NSR

no brainer
                another WP15 project not started

Comment

• Each boat is in a marina and they can easily do required work.
                  They are tendered as motor launches and not NSR boats but I bet NSR will have no problem using them on a regular basis.
                  Largest investment in years in the reserve.
                  Training needed to fire from these new boats, these will really help in recruitment. Great to see RDFFRAs push to get these types of results for the RDF.
                  Best of luck everyone.
                  Last edited by batterysgt; 7 February 2022, 19:10.

Comment

• No units fires from boats in the DF, so that a new departure and will take alot to put in place.
                    You sure about that.???????
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Assault boat,1995..jpg
Views:	655
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	730899

"Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• That was a long time ago. Check out the AUG HB!
                      But yes, firing from boats is not new. To do it right though a new offshore range needs to be created. Used to be one off the Galley head to 7 heads(D13), but I'm not sure if it still exists.

Comment

• I remember seeing a parade down O’Connell Street with a NS RHIB c/w mounted GPMG

Comment

• I remember see those boats and looks can be deceiving.

That is an old pic but maybe they still do but it's only them if any. Even the drive club hasn't tried that yet but they may be planning it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            I remember seeing a parade down O’Connell Street with a NS RHIB c/w mounted GPMG
                            Yes, but have you ever seen one being fired in any of the many promotional clips DF social media is so good at?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	332
Size:	544.6 KB
ID:	736844

As the @naval_service
                              Reserve prepares for delivery of first of 4 new 14m Motor Launches, students on a Motor Launch Proficency Course have been training on the Bridge Simulator @NMCI_Ireland
                              ... Pictured (L to R): LT Garry Keane (CUNSR), LT CDR Michael Relihan (CUNSR),​LT CDR Eddie Moloney (LUNSR), LT Paul Roche (Instructor), LT James Scanlon (LUNSR), ENS Simon Alvey (DUNSR), ENS Henry Mooney (DUNSR).

Comment

• You'd think the NSR would have their own instructor at this stage and not have to use NS Lts who are not at full strength. The NSR Lt Cdr's are surely qualified enough, having their own launches for years.
                                Last edited by batterysgt; 18 November 2022, 20:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X