NSR - Time at Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSR - Time at Sea

Hey guys, so alot has been said about what you do in your "recruit camp" in the naval reserve i.e. fire fighting, survival etc. But could anybody tell me what the reservists actually do when ye are out at sea? For those 2 weeks out at sea what functions do ye perform? Alot of people have told me all they do is clean toilets, floors, walls etc. and that ye might get a trip in a rib to keep ye from quitting?? Is this true?

Could everybody please resist the temptation and not give answers like "whatever needs doing" or it "depends on the ship". Humour me

Well it depends on the ship.....only joking

NSR junior rates (ordinary and able seaman - 2 & 3 star ptes for army types) do lookout on the bridge, steer the ship (after appropriate training). They participate with the anchoring party and lines party.They do QM when the ship is alongside and do bowman on the ribs when the ship is at anchor.

Yes they do also end up cleaning, painting and helping with taking provisions onboard but no more than the other junior members of the crew.

Comment

Qualify the remark junior memebers of the crew....never seen junior officers do any of the above tasks

Junior rates as enlisted personel...Executive branch mostly look after the ships husbandry.

Depending on the ship and the time of year..first time at sea....you'll spend most of your time trying to keep the contents of your stomach in place.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Thanks for that clarification.

Obviously enough Officer's don't get their hands dirty. How can one drink pink gins with dirty hand?

Comment

NSR at sea

For those of the NSR who actually partake in going on patrol (Same faces almost every year) it can be a very educational time. Admitted they would be regarded as junior or green for the first week but as in all other departments thats the norm. The NSR personnel go through the same routines as any new crew member off the line. They are given an induction sheet for safety and to be completed on the first day. Then familiarised with the watch and Quarter bill which is a crew manifest and employment / deployment notice board. They will complete instruction on all life saving apparatus organic to the operational unit. After this they will be tasked in routine duties of maintainance and ships cleaning and sanitation. Before tasking with operational watches alone they will endure Explanation, Demonstration and supervised Practice of the duties of Helmsman and Lookout, (normally ten hours competent before testing). On the RIBs they will undergo the prep cycle for operations, boat safety and lifting SOPs. On completion of this they are deemed fit to act as co pilot to the coxn, responsible for the mantainance, deployment and discipline in the RIB. If they display good conduct, obey SOPs and good standard of what they have learned then the bosun may give a training trip or two in the calm weather.

And then back to cleaning and helping with provisions and the like until the next boarding, SAR or whatever.

NSR personnel are subject to report after patrol fron the OC who gets feedback from his XO and NCOs. Its a lot to take in in your first week at sea.

But the Units are glad of the hand, when its a good one !!!
          As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Boy View Post

Obviously enough Officer's don't get their hands dirty. How can one drink pink gins with dirty hand?
            Hey Bitter Boy,

HPT Murphy has a view of officers with which I disagree. Be that as it may, he has earned the right to hold that view. You on the other hand, have not.

Good service with the NSR could be a helpful boost should you desire to go for a commission in the future, but you will poison your own chances with an attitude like that. The suggestion in your comments is that officers do no work. Ask any Commissioned from the Ranks Officer (CFR) if his experience as an officer matches the preconceptions he/she had before. You may find the answer educational.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
              Hey Bitter Boy,

HPT Murphy has a view of officers with which I disagree. Be that as it may, he has earned the right to hold that view. You on the other hand, have not.
              That is a ridiculous thing to say!! We live in a free society and everybody is entitled to their opinions. Just because you disagree with bitter boy does not mean he does not have the right to hold his opinions. There is no "earning" of rights. People have free speech regardless of whether or not you like it!! This is in our constitution, article 40 if your interested?

Comment

I wish to support the statement made by deise boy most strongly. Criticise the opinion, not the person making it. If this site was made up of people who all thought the same way about everything it would be a very boring place indeed.

Marius, who do you think you are that you can tell people what to think and not to think, what to say and what not to say? Do you know bitter boy? How do you know he is not entitled to his opinion on osifers? How do you know that hpt is entitled to his?

The only person on this section of the site who can control what people post is me. (and on a good day, Boomer).

You may disagree with someones opinion, but you must still respect his right to hold such an opinion, whether right or wrong, and educate him in his error if necessary.

Signed.
                The Boss.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

hey hold on..some body has taken me completely out of context...I never saw commissioned ranks taking part in these jobs...neither would I expect to...I in no way intend to run down the commissioned ranks..I served with more good than inept.....I am proud to say I served under others....

Other ranks and ranks..fact of life...at no point in this thread did I suggest that officers didn't partake in crewing obligations on NS vessels......it was part of the job..I appreciate those who may think I may have earned the right to my opinion..but at no time was my opinion intended to be a slur on any particular rank

calm down..settle..its an accepted value that certain jobs go with certain positions aboard ship..respect is given and accepted as without all these jobs .. appointements..and even at time friendships..a ship goes no where....

When you have served with these people you earn the right to bitch...but at no time was I or will I say that any of the officer ranks....did not at least do their own days work....

There were some who gave above and beyond ..there were some who were laking in some of the basic humanities and people skills ...but we all lived in the same sapce..and there was a respect...begrudging at times to some but it was there....

Do not take me out of Context......
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    hey hold on..some body has taken me completely out of context...I never saw commissioned ranks taking part in these jobs...neither would I expect to...I in no way intend to run down the commissioned ranks..I served with more good than inept.....I am proud to say I served under others....

Other ranks and ranks..fact of life...at no point in this thread did I suggest that officers didn't partake in crewing obligations on NS vessels......it was part of the job..I appreciate those who may think I may have earned the right to my opinion..but at no time was my opinion intended to be a slur on any particular rank

calm down..settle..its an accepted value that certain jobs go with certain positions aboard ship..respect is given and accepted as without all these jobs .. appointements..and even at time friendships..a ship goes no where....

When you have served with these people you earn the right to bitch...but at no time was I or will I say that any of the officer ranks....did not at least do their own days work....

There were some who gave above and beyond ..there were some who were laking in some of the basic humanities and people skills ...but we all lived in the same sapce..and there was a respect...begrudging at times to some but it was there....

Do not take me out of Context......

Hey man feel absolutely free to run down the commissioned ranks, its part of the job. Everybody in every job runs down their braindead head of department.
                    Give in to your hate, make you stronger it will.

Comment

I'll leave the slander to the likes of Jim Brady and others who hold grudges. I bear none.

At the time we may have felt mis managed but the other ranks had there fair share of fools as well. it was twenty years ago and life has moved on. Times change and people do also. As I said there is no point in slandering or running down the service..yes there were times when things were'nt all they should be but that was service life at the time.

When soldiers sailors etc bitch about there lot its amongst themslves and rarely do they fail to support those who serve with them..and certainly they will bitch..but at no point should the whole lot what every rank they be tarred with the one brush....makes them selves look a bit foolish for being there in the first place.

Every work place has its share of idiots...and The NS is no exception..but it is not for me to undermine the integrity of a whole group of people just because some feel agrieved about the abilities of their leaders.

I have to say I never held hate or contempt for any one I ever served with during this period.
                      Last edited by hptmurphy; 2 December 2006, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Boy View Post

I have a half-apology to make.

My comment about not having earned the right to have an attitude problem to officers was meant to prod Deise Boy into having a think....from his first post here it is clear he hasn't much experience of the sea going service. However, I confused him with Bitter Boy who made the above comment, which is what upset me.

So to clarify, I am criticising the opinion held by Bitter Boy: those kind of comments are cheap and easy and populist and ill considered. But I accept Deise Boy hasn't expressed any such opinion so I merely hope he takes my advice before making his mind up and forming an opinion based on Bitter Boy's cheap shot (of gin).

Comment

Ahhh... we're all friends again. How touching.

Comment

Well said Murph.

Comment

Any way never saw any officers drink pink gins in my time...most were good pint drinkers....and there even was a commander witha taste for cider....drink has no respect for rank.

Comment

Working...
                              X