Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Why should they do that?
    why not? other than the modest impracticality of cost.
    Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
    Volley'd and thunder'd;
    Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
    Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Not a million yaers ago we wore NO 2.s with 58 pattern..issy ldys FNs and gratcoats..and white gaiters going on duty..and bayeonets being dismounted........naval enough for you?
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Duties N.S. in DPMs

The N.S. are switching to the Army D.P.M. for Regimental duties it will be written up in Commodores Standing Orders in January and you should see it mainstream by early Feb.

As for the Black and whites, all ranks employed in clericial or office work will be issued with white long sleeved shirts and rank sliders for the shoulder. This will be from early January.

Any other questions ?

"Always on good authority."
        As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

As for the Black and whites, all ranks employed in clericial or office work will be issued with white long sleeved shirts and rank sliders for the shoulder. This will be from early January.
          What do you mean by Clerical or Office work?
          The long sleeved shirts have been issued for years now.

Comment

Yes they have but the Leading, Able and Ordinary ratings have always worn Working Dress with Jersey No.3. The shirt is part of the Petty officers - Warrant officers uniform. The amount of A/M ranks in administration (clericial & Office) positions has increases by 400% in recent years since the disbanding of the Pioneers or Depot chain Gangs. Theres less manual labor for people now so its time to change from hard wearing working dress to a neater and more comfortable and lighter Rig Of The Day.

Its just moving with the times and forward is a good way to go.

Any other questions ?
            Last edited by armedboarder; 10 December 2006, 14:09. Reason: Missed a bit

Comment

Question answered thanks

Comment

armedboarder for assistant mod......ahem

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Ah the change makes sense...do this mean that the standard working dress will only be seen on ships.

Disbanding of Depot Chain gangs..lol..who cuts the grass now a days?

I remember a time when a nice handy job was delivering coal to married quarters....green overalls...
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Thanks Goldie.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      Ah the change makes sense...do this mean that the standard working dress will only be seen on ships.

Disbanding of Depot Chain gangs..lol..who cuts the grass now a days?

I remember a time when a nice handy job was delivering coal to married quarters....green overalls...

Yes, the working rig wont change except for updated walking out FW gear and the heavy duty FW for seagoing personnel.

Contractors now deal with all the landscape gardening and from time to time cut the sports pitch.
                      (Aside) The seamen must be going mad since the contractors took away one of their "Professional" jobs LO L

Comment

Originally posted by eelmonster View Post
                        the NS should follow the USN approach and consider adopting a distictive working dress for sailors:

When did this come into use for the US Navy, out of interest, Eelmonster?
                        When I was in Pearl a year or so ago, the security guy we passed was in
                        US Woodland pattern DPM (and yes, he was Navy). In case anyone's wondering,
                        you have to enter the base to get access to the USS Missouri. Quite a visit that was
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          When I was in Pearl a year or so ago, the security guy we passed was in
                          US Woodland pattern DPM (and yes, he was Navy).
                          Sure he wasn't USMC?
                          Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by yooklid View Post
                            Sure he wasn't USMC?
                            USMC guards would most likely have been wearing MARPAT (approved for wear in June 2001, changeover completed in October 2006).

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marpat the Navy Working Uniform, as shown above, isn't coming into service until 2007/2008.

Comment

What? the cushy file for the old sweats and the "permanent privates/seamen" being done away with, courtesy of modernisation.Jaysus! Sad, really. It always seemed so part of a barracks or installation to have a few oul sweats lurking around, doing a whole lot of sod all, smoking and having a mug of evil tea, basically being part of the furniture...I don't care; DPM for sailors is just odd!
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

The NS wear the old pattern uniforms in blue. It does not have the same advantages as the more modern layered DPM.(i.e its cold)
                                Also its usually "workwear" and except for the lucky few,it shows all the signs of this

eh can we have the current DPm inthis format ...my bollocks are frozen off in winter mights....and its reasonably windproof..and seeing as i don't get all the layers as a bag......i'll enjoy this gear...the current issue stuff without attachments only keeps u warm from the waist up

tbh next time i go to range in winter ..I'm putting back on the older trousers..yes it still fits..and **** reglations pissed off having my bollocks frozen off and my kneecaps torn apart getting down on the firing point

Comment

Working...
                                X