X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikeym
    replied
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    So have the NS personnel doing base duties started wearing DPM yet?

Members of the AC are wearing it now, with the appropriate subdued green
    version of the AC rank markings for the DPM uniform
    No not yet.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    Captain

• Truck Driver
    replied
    So have the NS personnel doing base duties started wearing DPM yet?

Members of the AC are wearing it now, with the appropriate subdued green
    version of the AC rank markings for the DPM uniform

Leave a comment:

• armedboarder
    CQMS

• armedboarder
    replied
    Originally posted by Docman View Post
    I ran into a Naval officer once in DPM (Green Rank markings with Black insignia). They had been in Naval uniform the day before. I asked why they had changed. Seemingly they had just been attached to an Army unit for a few days and as such wore DPM. The day before they were still officially part of their naval unit and wore Navy uniform. The DPM uniform had been issued by the unit they were attached to. Not sure where they got the DPM Naval Rank Markings.
    Overseas Missions introduced the rank markings for N.S. personnel for DPM dress.

Leave a comment:

• Docman
    Closed Account

• Docman
    replied
    I ran into a Naval officer once in DPM (Green Rank markings with Black insignia). They had been in Naval uniform the day before. I asked why they had changed. Seemingly they had just been attached to an Army unit for a few days and as such wore DPM. The day before they were still officially part of their naval unit and wore Navy uniform. The DPM uniform had been issued by the unit they were attached to. Not sure where they got the DPM Naval Rank Markings.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Suppose its a case of being a subsidiary to the army we were required to learn their ranks..but no so much as a priorty with them as 90% o soldiers would never encounter naval personel..unless they were seriosulyy lost!

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied
    Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
    I always find it funny how the navy in general have good understanding of the army rank structure and titles while the army look at the navy rank markings with 2 heads.
    I wouldnt say two heads now more along the lines of a whaaaaa is daaaaat sort of look with a squinty head to the side.

Leave a comment:

• ELVIS
    Sex Consultant

• ELVIS
    replied
    Originally posted by Bosco View Post
    I saw a guy in the canteen in Athlone at tea time one day(last month) with with the DPM's and a set of black rank markings with three bars,not stripe, gold bars. Hadnt a notion of what the hell that was about so I asked him and he said he was navy a Petty Officer I think.
    So unless I was being told porkies they already seem to be wearing these.
    The navy have been doing this for years. There doesn't seem to be any real set down guide lines for things like this in the defence forces. It really is just whatever the perso ahead of you says looks grand.

I always find it funny how the navy in general have good understanding of the army rank structure and titles while the army look at the navy rank markings with 2 heads. I'm sure its to do with frequency of seeing them but isn't it in basic training for AR and PDF army?

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    Captain

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by yooklid View Post
    Sure he wasn't USMC?
    Positive - took a good look to make sure. The naval rank markings and the
    tab over the left breast pocket saying US Navy were a bit of a giveaway

Originally posted by hptmurphy
    tbh next time i go to range in winter ..I'm putting
    back on the older trousers..yes it still fits..and **** reglations pissed
    off having my bollocks frozen off and my kneecaps torn apart getting
    down on the firing point
    The best advice I got from our Cadre NCO on the intro of the DPM's to the Reserve
    was "go a waist size larger than your normal size, as you will be allowing for the
    wearing of thermal trousers underneath. A €10 tracksuit bottom from Dunnes Stores
    does nicely as an under layer to keep ya warm on those cold Jan/Feb days on the
    ranges. At least until your budget allows for the purchase of a thermal trousers

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Ah i miss the coal delivering detail..had certain perks..special round married quarters.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    The NS wear the old pattern uniforms in blue. It does not have the same advantages as the more modern layered DPM.(i.e its cold)
    Also its usually "workwear" and except for the lucky few,it shows all the signs of this

eh can we have the current DPm inthis format ...my bollocks are frozen off in winter mights....and its reasonably windproof..and seeing as i don't get all the layers as a bag......i'll enjoy this gear...the current issue stuff without attachments only keeps u warm from the waist up

tbh next time i go to range in winter ..I'm putting back on the older trousers..yes it still fits..and **** reglations pissed off having my bollocks frozen off and my kneecaps torn apart getting down on the firing point

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    C/S

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    What? the cushy file for the old sweats and the "permanent privates/seamen" being done away with, courtesy of modernisation.Jaysus! Sad, really. It always seemed so part of a barracks or installation to have a few oul sweats lurking around, doing a whole lot of sod all, smoking and having a mug of evil tea, basically being part of the furniture...I don't care; DPM for sailors is just odd!
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    Lt General

• Barry
    replied
    Originally posted by yooklid View Post
    Sure he wasn't USMC?
    USMC guards would most likely have been wearing MARPAT (approved for wear in June 2001, changeover completed in October 2006).

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marpat the Navy Working Uniform, as shown above, isn't coming into service until 2007/2008.

Leave a comment:

• yooklid
    6-40509-04014-7

• yooklid
    replied
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    When I was in Pearl a year or so ago, the security guy we passed was in
    US Woodland pattern DPM (and yes, he was Navy).
    Sure he wasn't USMC?

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    Captain

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by eelmonster View Post
    the NS should follow the USN approach and consider adopting a distictive working dress for sailors:

When did this come into use for the US Navy, out of interest, Eelmonster?
    When I was in Pearl a year or so ago, the security guy we passed was in
    US Woodland pattern DPM (and yes, he was Navy). In case anyone's wondering,
    you have to enter the base to get access to the USS Missouri. Quite a visit that was

Leave a comment:

• armedboarder
    CQMS

• armedboarder
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Ah the change makes sense...do this mean that the standard working dress will only be seen on ships.

Disbanding of Depot Chain gangs..lol..who cuts the grass now a days?

I remember a time when a nice handy job was delivering coal to married quarters....green overalls...

Yes, the working rig wont change except for updated walking out FW gear and the heavy duty FW for seagoing personnel.

Contractors now deal with all the landscape gardening and from time to time cut the sports pitch.
    (Aside) The seamen must be going mad since the contractors took away one of their "Professional" jobs LO L

Leave a comment:

Working...
X