Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impact of Rescue/Recovery of Double Fishing Tragedy on the Naval service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact of Rescue/Recovery of Double Fishing Tragedy on the Naval service.

Are the Irish satisfied with today's navy service's performance over the missing fishing vessel Pere Charles? I am becoming convinced a larger ship is needed. One of your Peacocks failed due to gales at sea, one of your older OPVs soon to be replaced won't sail until better weather. An opportunity exists to acquire a large MRV.
    Last edited by Sea Toby; 12 January 2007, 18:14.

Its not a case of putting vessels to sea. No point..what would they do when they get there. Conditions are unsuitable for recovery operations..can't put divers in the water.

I was waiting for this one for a while fishermen make informed descisons wheteher to put to sea of not. The navy is not be to targeted for criticism becuse quota cuts force hard pressed fishermen to put to sea to make a living. By the time any naval cvessel would have arrived on site the result would have been the same. The Coastguard helicopter crews are to be commend on their rescue work....its the navy who end up doing the recovery bit after wards.

There is no point in risking any more lives during recovery operations.If survivors aren't found within the first few hours in the current sea conditions and temeperatures..its not a rescue operation..its a recovery op.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Not much is being said about it, as far as I've heard.

One CPV (just over 700 tonnes) attempted to leave the NS base and had to turn back

One OPV (just over 1000 tonnes) had to wait for better weather to leave the NS base

NS Divers (with Side Scan Sonar) are had the scene but the weather is to bad to dive, their RIBs had to turn back earlier due to 5 metre swell.

Comment

L.E Eithne is on site in Waterford harbour as we speak..going to be a long few days for those guys but the weather is showing to abate for sunday so maybe some progress
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

forgive my ignorance

but what are CPV and OPV

One CPV (just over 700 tonnes) attempted to leave the NS base and had to turn back

One OPV (just over 1000 tonnes) had to wait for better weather to leave the NS base
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            forgive my ignorance

but what are CPV and OPV
            I will be pounced on if wrong but...

CPV = Coastal patrol vessel (the Peacocks).
            OPV = Offshore patrol Vessel (I am assuming the P20 class in this case).
            Meh.

Comment

CPV is a coastal patrol vessel..Ciar and Orla

OPV is offshore patrol vessel..the others bar Eithne..which held the title of hpv...heli patrol vessel I'm sure she is reclassified as an OPV now though.

The only stupid question is the one that is never asked.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                L.E Eithne is on site in Waterford harbour as we speak..going to be a long few days for those guys but the weather is showing to abate for sunday so maybe some progress
                Considering she was on patrol in Donegal before she was sent south (rightly so).

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Toby View Post
                  Are the Irish satisfied with today's navy service's performance over the missing fishing vessel Pere Charles? I am becoming convinced a larger ship is needed. One of your Peacocks failed due to gales at sea, one of your older OPVs soon to be replaced won't sail until better weather. An opportunity exists to acquire a large MRV.
                  To wonder about the performance of a ship in gale force 8 - 10 conditions is a bit much. Any ship will have difficulty in those conditions as murph pointed out. One should remember that the 700 tonne CPV's were originally designed and built to operate in SE Asia, where 3 remain operating with the Phillipine Navy. They are NOT designed to operate in a 6 - 8m sea, at the least with 40 - 60 kts of wind. (They do not even have stabilisers, just bilge keels)

To move this point on, yes, people should wonder about the capabilities of NS ships. The NS / Irish State require a diving support vessel to be capable of supporting extended periods of diving operations, such as the ex-HMS Challenger that the UKRN had (people will remember it from the Air India Disaster) or something like to RNZN have, to give just two examples. The NS ships at present are not suited to supporting diving ops (such as surface demand dives), that's why the Grainauile will probably turn up in Dunmore East in the next few days.

Standard Displacement: 911 tonnes
                  Length Overall: 43 metres
                  Beam: 9.5 metres
                  Draught: 3.2 metres
                  Speed: 11 knots
                  Range: 5,000 nautical miles
                  Complement: 24 Officers and ratings
                  Propulsion: Two Caterpillar marine diesels (565 hp)
                  Two shafts
                  Bow thrusters
                  Diesel with CPP (Controllable Pitch Propeller)
                  HMNZS MANAWANUI was originally the STAR PERSEUS, built as a diving support vessel for North Sea oil rig operations. She was renamed and commissioned into the Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) in 1988.

Comment

CPV is a coastal patrol vessel..Ciar and Orla

OPV is offshore patrol vessel..the others bar Eithne..which held the title of hpv...heli patrol vessel I'm sure she is reclassified as an OPV now though.

The only stupid question is the one that is never asked.

Niamh and Roisin are known as LPV(Large Patrol Vessel).
                    Eithne is still a HPV as long as her helideck is painted as a helideck, and not a basketball court.

Questions about the performance of the NS vessels(but not the crews) should be asked in the wake of this tragedy. What improvements are necessary to ensure that all future vessels would be able to leave port in what were extreme weather conditions, to respond to this incident, which happened a short few hours up the coast. How can enhancements be made to allow future vessels to assume the role of on scene commander, and coordinate the search, while still maintaining the safety of the ships crew?

The reports on todays papers tell that one of the lost trawlers was hit by a 40 foot or 15 m wave(depending on which paper you read). Current naval vessels would suffer some damage, depending on how such a wave was to hit them. Damage control aboard naval vessels would be better than trawlers, most of which do no thave the luxury of subdivided hulls with watertight bulkheads.
                    If this wave hits a trawler stern on, there is only one way you are going. The key is for our Navy to be in a position to rescue, or recover, as soon as possible. The fact the liferaft of one trawler was recovered, damaged and empty, bears witness to the ferocious nature of the sea state that caused this tragedy.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

On a slight tangent here folks but was told that the coastgaurd ships are unsinkable!
                      Is this true ?
                      The nuts and bolts of what I was told is first that if they broach in bad ses they will roll upright again no matter what and even if they were full up with water they would still float due the their construction being so much more less dense that the water.
                      Was I being told porkies or what?
                      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Firstly, who's coastguard?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

"The reports on todays papers tell that one of the lost trawlers was hit by a 40 foot or 15 m wave(depending on which paper you read)"

Funny nobody knows exactly what happened or actually saw either vessel sinl
                          k..but here we have ****ing experts quoting about things they know **** all about.....really pisses me of

Bosco..I wouldn't say some one was telling you porkies..I would prefer to say that they were talking out of their arse..some RHIBS are self fighting...ships and other minor vessles..eh no!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Firstly, who's coastguard?
                            RNLI

Comment

Bosco..I wouldn't say some one was telling you porkies..I would prefer to say that they were talking out of their arse..some RHIBS are self fighting...ships and other minor vessles..eh no!
                              Oh right was kinda wondering there!

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              Firstly, whose coastguard?
                              RNLI

Comment

Working...
                              X