Question for Sea Toby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Sea Toby

These OPVs are designed to fulfill the role of a fishery protection vessel, and patrol these nations EEZs. They could be useful for SAS surveillance deliveries in the dead of night. They are also useful in showing the flag abroad, but they are not of much use for anti-ship warfare, anti-submarine warfare, or anti-air warfare.

Even if a nation decided to add harpoon missiles, evolved sea sparrow missiles, anti-submarine torpedoes, and a close in weapon system, their electrical plant isn't large enough to supply the electricity, another reason why these ships are cheaper than corvettes.

Where did you get the idea that the electrical system on our ships are too underpowered for the add ons you suggest?

I have some concerns that you read this site, then go to other sites with what you read here, and pass it off as your own Idea? Tell me I am mistaken here.

Also, while you may Prefer the Ferry design of the Kiwi MRV, I have heard nothing to say that the Irish army agree with you. Its internal layout is unsuitable for naval use too, but I'm sure you already know why.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

How is this a relevant posting? It has nothing to do with the Irish Naval service and seems designed to humiliate a board member. I am new to this site and correct me if I'm wrong but Goldie are you having a bad week? This is the second example of an attempt by you to belittle someone in as many days by creating a new thread to focus on them. I cant see why you could not have sent a private message. I know this post will have to be approved by you as I am new here but in the interests of fairness I think you should allow this to be read.

Comment

Goldie has a point...in fact L.E. Eithnes generators ... 3x caterpillar units are big enough to power a town the size of Cobh....

Now please explain where toby got his misinformation from?

Goldies point is very relevant if you notice some of the blatant plagarism Sea Toby engages in....even if some of its incorrect.

If you are willing to stand up and put an opinion forward or to even preach facts which are incorrect..you must also be able to take the consequences.

In the past there have been entire threads based on misinformation which have gone uncorrected..and lead to heated moments as the poster was unwilling to admit they might occasionally get it wrong.

We...well some of us ...do resaerch our facts beyond other boards before posting.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Kermit, you had your chance to moderate. You blew it. However you take great delight at pointing out every percieved flaw in this site. Whatever happened the alternative one you were creating?

The question I ask of Sea Toby is in no way intended to humiliate him. They are valid questions that relate to the content of this site being posted on other sites without due credit. In fairness to Sea Toby, he usually credits us, but I would merely like to know how he came to his conclusions. I am not a member of the other site he uses so I cannot ask him there. You are new jetjockey so you may not know how things work here but I run this portion of the site in whatever way I see fit (usually with the site owners approval).

It is not a democracy.

It is because of the way I and the other moderators run this site that it is as successful as it is, (and lazy journalists use it as a regular source for their "scoops"). It is because of the success of the site that you found your way here.

And yes I am having one shitty week. Thanks for caring.

Love and kisses.
        Goldie.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          Kermit, you had your chance to moderate. You blew it. However you take great delight at pointing out every percieved flaw in this site. Whatever happened the alternative one you were creating?

The question I ask of Sea Toby is in no way intended to humiliate him. They are valid questions that relate to the content of this site being posted on other sites without due credit. In fairness to Sea Toby, he usually credits us, but I would merely like to know how he came to his conclusions. I am not a member of the other site he uses so I cannot ask him there. You are new jetjockey so you may not know how things work here but I run this portion of the site in whatever way I see fit (usually with the site owners approval).

It is not a democracy.

It is because of the way I and the other moderators run this site that it is as successful as it is, (and lazy journalists use it as a regular source for their "scoops"). It is because of the success of the site that you found your way here.

Love and kisses.
          Goldie.
          I agree with both both points raised.
          Yes he shouldn't be using IMO posts as his own without due citation but at the same time, your post goldie came across as belittling a bit and i agree with jetjockey on that point. Your intentions were correct but the manner in which they were implemented was lacking in my opinion.

You will not generally find me agreeing with Kermit(no offence lad, just the way it is) however I (which you might not care and rightly so) have a personal thing against people who try to point out tiny inaccuracies or insignificant points just for the sake of it. Putting posts like clarify this or that when its clear what the intended post means is just nonsense and being a pain in the ass.

To me its just a superior complex of " look how much I know" when nobody cares. This is more than likely why I'm moderated as I get on the offensive when I see sh1t like that being put up.(not implying your post was in this category Goldie) I also find its the way with the reserve lately. It seems to be alot about who has the " goochie" gear and who has this or that course done. Its absolute crap. I heard a corporal slagging a 3 star because he hadn't fired the GPMG. He thought he was great because he had fired it. Big swing, who cares. You fired a poxy machine gun. My first day in the reserve and I was turned off straight away because of it.

When the chips are down you want to see who's a good soldier, not who has the f**king boonie hat, knee pads and miniature medal on their uniform. If soldiering is such a huge part of the reserve, why is there not more attention paid to fitness? can't run, cant fight.

Sorry, but a general rant at 3:30 in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

It is not a democracy.

Love and kisses.
            Goldie.
            Fair enough Goldie, but my point was what purpose did asking him publicly serve? In fairness if it was bothering you how he came to his conclusions why not just send a pm?
            I've known of this site for a long,long time Goldie and it had nothing to do with how it's moderated. I was a contributor back in Boomer's day, with the old blue discussion forum..you remember?! My username was "Taj" back then but that was a different lifetime! I've been visiting this board regularly since, but I just never got around to joining and posting an opinion or two. Sorry to hear about the shitty week.Join the club!

Comment

Does anybody know what the kW demand of the systems Sea Toby was on about

And if this equipment is NATO standard then its a bitch to run it on anything other than the Peacock.
              Last edited by sparky; 28 February 2007, 17:19.
              "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Comment

hi all
                Pardon my ignorance but what voltage/current is used on ships (a) in general (b) naval ships?
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Thats the bitch you see Nato voltage on ships is 440V 60Hz as opposed to our own ones we built like Kermit said 380V 50Hz before they got the frequency convertors the dam peacocks nearly vibrated themselves onto the quay walls.

All 3 phase altenators produce 380V here. We have to adjust the AVR and set the engine governor to change it or buy one thats already set up.
                  "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Comment

Working...
                  X