Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alongside Waterford?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alongside Waterford?

    I was just wondering why there hasnt been any irish navy ships going alongside waterford city?
    Is it too expensive or has the area being bought for redevelopment.

    Personally I think its sad because waterford's a good place to go drinking
    Last edited by mikeym; 17 April 2007, 18:34.

  • #2
    Hmm. I have my own theories, but I'll leave it to the Waterford native and Naval expert to answer that one.


    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

    Comment


    • #3
      The tides are hard to navigate and coming alongside/leaving can easily go belly up

      Comment


      • #4
        Plus who in their right mind wants to go to Waterford. Girls there are all lesbians. I mean how else do you explain them shunning my advances.
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

        Comment


        • #5
          If you think there is a blight on visiting naval vessels now....you should rememeber back to the 80's...no naval vessels between 1982 and 1986...due to a little incident.

          Historically relations had always been a little strained going back to an incident in about 1977 when a young O/Sea from the Setanta was killed by a local....

          Anyway Waterford is twined with L.E Aoife and over the past couple of years both her and Eithne and the Peacocks spent a consideable time on the north wharf in Waterford.

          Not sure about berthing charges...didn't think the N.S paid any...could be open to correction on this.

          Waterford is a nightmare anyway as its long estuary means a long time closed up to harbour stations. Seeing as Waterford is set to feature in the tall ships again next year you'll probably see more of N.S. in there.

          Lenghtheir patrol times and other commitments often contribute to where ships are berthed..and how long it takes for a ship to get back to sea.

          I might be wrong on this and its is purely conjecture but I get the feeling from reading the local Newspaper and in light of the Pere Charles incident..and the N.S. percieved role in the rescue/salvage operation..and the current comments being made by some local politicians and the lack of progress being made by locals to have the wreck raised.....there is even a guy who is proposing to use this issue to run in the forth coming general Election..and SF are making political capital of it..that the descison not to have N.S. vessels in Waterford recently just might be made at very high levels not to provoke local comment ..or highlight the issue beyond a local level.

          Could be completely wide of the mark ..but reading between the lines..could be a while depending on what the outcome of the Pere Charles saga is.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
            Plus who in their right mind wants to go to Waterford. Girls there are all lesbians. I mean how else do you explain them shunning my advances.

            Ah it must be your deoderant..I thrived within the envoirnment for years....
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

            Comment


            • #7
              Historically relations had always been a little strained going back to an incident in about 1977 when a young O/Sea from the Setanta was killed by a local....

              What Happened
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

              Comment


              • #8
                Something to do with a row over some woman...and a local stabbed the Navy Bloke..don't remember it happening but it was quoted to me when I joined the N.S. by a colleague of his who had a dislike of waterford since.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  Seeing as Waterford is set to feature in the tall ships again next year you'll probably see more of N.S. in there.
                  Are you sure? I think the race next year is Liverpool to Norway, they return to Ireland again in 2009 when the Tall Ship's Atlantic Challenge leaves from Belfast, the race will return again to Waterford however in 2011.

                  http://www.sailtraininginternational.org
                  There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today Chatfield
                  Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty GCB OM GCVO

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I noticed the last time I was back home the North warf from the flour mills to the bridge was up for sale /redevelopment with yuppie flats etc. -perhaps its just not available anymore?:confused:
                    Last edited by Pod; 18 April 2007, 18:08.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pod View Post
                      I noticed the last time I was back home the North warf from the flour mills to the bridge was up for sale /redevelopment with yuppie flats etc. -perhaps its just not available anymore?:confused:
                      yeah 2011 is the tall ships race in waterford - they just won the bid a couple of weeks ago

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Open to correction on the T.S. thing...
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by moggy View Post
                          yeah 2011 is the tall ships race in waterford - they just won the bid a couple of weeks ago
                          always thought it was a ten year gap before it returned to a port

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think its in different format..instaed of being a stage its going to be the starting line or something like that...but anyway they have got it
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              I might be wrong on this and its is purely conjecture but I get the feeling from reading the local Newspaper and in light of the Pere Charles incident..and the N.S. percieved role in the rescue/salvage operation..and the current comments being made by some local politicians and the lack of progress being made by locals to have the wreck raised.....there is even a guy who is proposing to use this issue to run in the forth coming general Election..and SF are making political capital of it..that the descison not to have N.S. vessels in Waterford recently just might be made at very high levels not to provoke local comment ..or highlight the issue beyond a local level.

                              Could be completely wide of the mark ..but reading between the lines..could be a while depending on what the outcome of the Pere Charles saga is.

                              The navy divers tried to salvage the missing bodies but due to rough weather their efforts were hampered, they eventually searched the wreck and found nothing.
                              The navy/nsr also recover bodies from the river suir and dont get recognition from the local media. I think that theory is a bit far fetched.


                              I presume the north warf was sold for redevelopment and they cant find a suitible place to berth.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X